The American Idol 2008 Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I didn't say he was trying to impress anyone. But for all his criticism to the contestants about being "relevant" or whatever, his look is about as relevant to the year 2008 as a rotary phone.

Edited By flipp525 on 1204139055
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I don't think Simon is trying to impress anyone, nor does he need to. He's just an A&R guy.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I think Simon is seriously in need of a makeover. That haircut, those clothes, it's just embarrassing. With as much money as he has, you'd think he'd perhaps hire a stylist by now. Ryan went from looking like the faggiest thing since pink lip-gloss to at least I'm-faking-being-straight wardrobe. Simon's just a drab, boring mess.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:And I guess one of things I dislike most about Archuleta is that he's an unapologetic Mormon.

As long as he isn't hurting anyone or anything, I see no reason why he--or anyone else, of any religious group--should have to apologize for his faith.

flipp525 wrote:David Archuleta gave a beautiful rendition of Imagine -- striated and complex beyond his years.

Agree with that--more than any of the other teenagers we've seen on the show, he seems like a real singer. (Others--like Jordin--had their moments where they seemed like real singers, but other moments where they just seemed like vocal gymnasts.) I'm not crazy about the fact that he seems to be the pre-ordained chosen one, but he's probably the best teenager they've had on the show.

Edited By dws1982 on 1204125423
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

OscarGuy wrote:
flipp525 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:And I guess one of things I dislike most about Archuleta is that he's an unapologetic Mormon. His attitude is very clearly that of a religious conservative.

I guess I think that's sort of a lame reason not to like someone. It's almost like someone saying you don't like someone solely because they're gay. I'm in no way a huge proponent of LDS, but I know several Mormons and, on the whole, they're generally good, kind people, not the religious, overly-zealous Christian conservative Nazis that hate everything and everyone but themselves. I've also befriended a couple ex-Mormons. Sure, it's sort of a cultish religion, but to each his own, right?

That's just one of the reasons I don't like him. I also don't like his vocal style. I felt tortured by his rendition of Imagine. While is vocals were ok, I just can't stand his "cute as a button" attitude. Unlike Blake Lewis, I don't think the kid has a lick of personality. He's the vanilla flavor of the week at Baskin Robbins.
And there's no emotion in his vocals. He seems bent on impressing. He reminds me of a small guy in a boy band that no one remembers, people just know him now because he's singled out and has a sad story.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

flipp525 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:And I guess one of things I dislike most about Archuleta is that he's an unapologetic Mormon. His attitude is very clearly that of a religious conservative.

I guess I think that's sort of a lame reason not to like someone. It's almost like someone saying you don't like someone solely because they're gay. I'm in no way a huge proponent of LDS, but I know several Mormons and, on the whole, they're generally good, kind people, not the religious, overly-zealous Christian conservative Nazis that hate everything and everyone but themselves. I've also befriended a couple ex-Mormons. Sure, it's sort of a cultish religion, but to each his own, right?
That's just one of the reasons I don't like him. I also don't like his vocal style. I felt tortured by his rendition of Imagine. While is vocals were ok, I just can't stand his "cute as a button" attitude. Unlike Blake Lewis, I don't think the kid has a lick of personality. He's the vanilla flavor of the week at Baskin Robbins.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

OscarGuy wrote:Wow. I don't get the hate for Luke, Anonymous. I didn't get to see him last week, but I thought he was pretty good vocally last night.
I thought he was pretty good too. Listened back to the mp3--which is the best way to evaluate these performances--and still liked it. Best, most difficult song choice of the night, and vocally it was not uninteresting, as anonymous says. Maybe not the best performance of the night, but it was one of the better ones.

And I'm sorry, but I think anyone who says Michael Johns was better is just flat-out wrong. Michael Johns brought nothing at all interesting to his song--no charisma, no energy, just flat, lifeless vocals. Ditto Danny Noriega, who was just lifeless. He drained all energy out of that song, mainly because it seemed like every note, every gesture--everything--was thought out well in advance. I wouldn't be surprised to see him voted off, especially since Simon was nice, but not effusive.

Jason Yeager has a really good voice, but his beauty-pageant smile through those performances is silly, and it makes them impossible to take seriously. He's one of the better guys, in terms of vocals, but he's clear cannon fodder and it's obvious in the way the judges have nothing at all to say to him beyond attacks. That he takes it without backtalk could get him another week.

I think only David Archuleta is safe this week. Anyone else could go, although I'm hoping it's Robbie and Chikezie, who was no better this week than last.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Hm. I liked the rockers; most of them until last night. Carrico is just a wannabe - a poor representation of rock music IMO, much like Daughtry has become. Daughtry at least has a respectable personality though. Cook has potential though.

Outside of the rock, Chakize at least had fun with it and showed more range than half of the talent last night.

1.Cook
2.Chakize
3.Castro
4.Hernandez

I didn't like anyone else. Not a great night.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Edited By flipp525 on 1204124714

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

One of the most irritating things about Yeager is that he's been performing in Branson (a mere hour away from me) and thus is getting mega attention from the local media. Yet, he's originally a Texan. Where as A'siah is from Joplin, MO (also an hour away) and is a native of Joplin. Yet, she gets absolutely no attention. It's rather disappointing b/c I think A'siah has significantly more chance of making it in the competition than Yeager.

And I guess one of things I dislike most about Archuleta is that he's an unapologetic Mormon. His attitude is very clearly that of a religious conservative. I'm surprised he even tackled Lennon since their views would be at odds (especially witht he song Imagine). And after last week's revelation that songs were chosen but "given" to certain contestants, I have no doubt that he's being secretly groomed (after all, they did dig up that American Idol 1 video of him auditioning for the finalists, who thought he was good but only in a "cute" way, not in a competitive way.) to win the competition.

It's becoming fairly certain that this is, indeed, what is being done on a number of accounts. After so many disappointing selections (what the fuck is the gray-haired white guy doing as an American Idol? He's a Las Vegas Idol, maybe), I think they are trying to load the competition with people who have previous experience, thus making it more likely that they will produce a hit record.

And I'm still wondering where the Melinda Doolittle album is...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Okay, here's the deal on Luke Menard: he really isn't that awful. He's goodlooking (this can get him far, trust me), he's got a fairly high contra-tenor range, he's confident and doesn't get riled up when criticized by the judges. He's not going to be eliminated tonight. Jason Yeager, I was noticing last night, looks scary when he sings. And he's pudgy. The two rockers were boring and virtually indistinguishable. Chekizie (WTF?) is not talented and has a horrible attitude. That 1970's style tuxedo he wore last week should be burned, preferably while he's still wearing it.

David Archuleta gave a beautiful rendition of Imagine -- striated and complex beyond his years. He's definitely the one to watch, but I can see why people think the judges have pre-chosen him as "the annointed one". And Oscarguy, I have to disagree with you. I don't think he would've been the kid to beat up in high school (isn't he still in high school?). I see him more as the geeky, loveable sidekick that even the jocks get along with. Whatever anyone says, he talented as shit.

David Hernandez was fantastic and is also one to watch. I like Danny Noreiga's personality and would vote for him solely on that factor. He has this sweet, twinky bitch thing going on that reminds me of guys at Town on a Friday night.

Edited By flipp525 on 1204124300

anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

OscarGuy wrote:Wow. I don't get the hate for Luke, Anonymous. I didn't get to see him last week, but I thought he was pretty good vocally last night. Yeager wasn't good, but at least he had personality. The first two performers were just plain awful, Noriega was awful and I wasn't a fan of the two rockers.

Archuleta's one of those really annoying happy kids that got beat up a lot at school. I didn't like his take on Imagine, one of the few John Lennon songs I love. I think the real powerhouse last night was David Hernandez. He was fun and gave a rockin' vocal.

I would be sorely disappointed to see Luke go home. I think he's got great potential. I think the first two are on the chopping block and so could be Noriega because he's young and not terribly attractive (come on...that haircut is nearly as bad as Bardem's in No Country...he looks like a punk Japanese kid).

Luke Menard's vocal was uninteresting and pales horribly in comparison with the original. His performance was also kind of dull (I agree with Simon - no personality or charisma). The difference between Luke and David A. is that I felt David A. didn't try to duplicate John Lennon and did his own thing and did it extremely well, IMO. And it bears repeating: He's cuter than homemade shoes.

I will agree with you on David Hernandez. I think that performance sealed his place in the Top 12.

Danny Noriega will be around for a while. He has a sizable following and he's VFTW's (Vote for the Worst) pick.

Edited By anonymous on 1204121590
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Holy crap, Menard ruined Queen. I was hoping he got knocked off last week, but this week will hopefully be his last. Archuleta and Noriega annoy the hell out of me, and out of the two I perfered Noriega. I don't really understand the love for Archuleta. If you switched your Great and Good around Anonymous we'd have a pretty close agreement.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Wow. I don't get the hate for Luke, Anonymous. I didn't get to see him last week, but I thought he was pretty good vocally last night. Yeager wasn't good, but at least he had personality. The first two performers were just plain awful, Noriega was awful and I wasn't a fan of the two rockers.

Archuleta's one of those really annoying happy kids that got beat up a lot at school. I didn't like his take on Imagine, one of the few John Lennon songs I love. I think the real powerhouse last night was David Hernandez. He was fun and gave a rockin' vocal.

I would be sorely disappointed to see Luke go home. I think he's got great potential. I think the first two are on the chopping block and so could be Noriega because he's young and not terribly attractive (come on...that haircut is nearly as bad as Bardem's in No Country...he looks like a punk Japanese kid).
Wesley Lovell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

My rankings for the guys:

GREAT:
01. David Archuleta
02. David Hernandez

GOOD:
03. Chakize
04. Jason Castro
05. David Cook

OK/MEDIOCRE:
06. Michael Johns
07. Robbie Carrico
08. Danny Noriega

AWFUL:
09. Luke Menard
10. Jason Yeager

Should go/will go: Luke Menard and Jason Yeager.

The overpimping is obvious but, hey, David A. is really great. And he's cuter than homemade shoes!

Talking back to Simon is real turn-off. I'm looking at you, David C. and Chakize!

Return to “Broadcast Media”