The American Idol 2008 Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Come on people! Are you not making enough money as it is?

Musicians union sues `American Idol' producers Fri Jun 13, 7:20 AM ET

LOS ANGELES - A musicians union has filed a federal lawsuit against the producers of "American Idol," claiming musicians were underpaid because the show's live music was re-recorded for reruns.

The American Federation of Musicians filed the suit seeking unspecified damages Thursday in U.S. District Court in Los Angeles, alleging that American Idol Productions Inc. and its subsidiary Tick Tock Productions Inc. violated a collective bargaining agreement.

That contract says the show's musicians should be paid royalties for rebroadcasts of the show, the lawsuit said.

The producers are required to pay 75 percent of scale to musicians who appear in the original show and rehearsals, plus 10 percent of that pay to a union pension fund, with decreasing percentages for each rebroadcast, according to court papers.

In 2007, the producers started cutting out the show's soundtrack and using different musicians to re-record new music for the past-season highlights show "American Idol Rewind," the lawsuit said.

The union was not informed of the recording, according to court papers.

Phone messages left Thursday night with a representative for American Idol Productions were not returned.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

flipp525 wrote:I'm sure his album will fail and he'll be back to living in a car and turning tricks for food.

I don't think his album will fail (his internet following is huge) but he'll do the latter anyways. It's his gimmick.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Josiah was a little wombat that Simon and the rest of America saw right through. His voice is not that great and he has an annoying, self-righteous personality which this article shines a huge spotlight on. What an idiot. I'm sure his album will fail and he'll be back to living in a car and turning tricks for food.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I personally like Josiah's music. I'd certainly buy his album once it drops. But he wouldn't be in this position right now if it weren't for the show. The show could've easily have edited him out and he wouldn't be playing gigs around the country, going on various talk shows and selling $40,000 worth of his EP's out of his myspace. Yes, to bash it seems a bit classless to me.

David Archuleta's interview with Idolatry at EW.com.

I wasn't wrong for rooting for this kid. I have a feeling he'll do well as runner-up. :)

Edited By anonymous on 1212043059
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Much of what he says may be true, but he auditioned for this "glorified karaoke", seemed devastated when he didn't make it, and now he tries to act all superior to it. He wanted to be part of this rodeo...to trash it publicly now reeks of bitterness.
While there are great singers who never write their own music, some artists work on a-whole-nother level when they also write their own.
Some do, but that troll Josiah seems dismissive of anyone who doesn't write their own music. The music world would be a lot poorer without some of these singers whose careers were built interpreting the songs of others. And if he doesn't realize that, then to hell with him.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

His words don't seem terribly vindictive and much of what he says is true. While there are great singers who never write their own music, some artists work on a-whole-nother level when they also write their own.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

David Cook debuted 17 songs on the digital charts this week, including a record 11 on the Billboard Hot 100. Archuleta had 3 debuts on the Hot 100.

===============================================

And that troll Josiah Leming who developed an Internet following after he embarrassed himself during the Hollywood rounds is now (very bitterly) trashing the show:
American Idol’s Josiah Leming, the free spirit who was living out of his car when he failed to make the Top 24, now has a record deal — and a few choice words for the show.

“The fact is, it’s glorified karaoke — they pick people with pretty faces and the pretty voices, and they don’t let them write their own songs,” Leming, 19, tells MTV News.

The producers, he says, “pick these good-looking people with voices, and they have them sing these songs that other people have written.”

“And therefore, it lacks passion, it lacks emotion and it lacks the things that set an artist off from being good to being great,” says Leming, who was booted during the Hollywood round of the show.

Still, Leming has no regrets. Thanks to the exposure on Idol, he has signed with Warner Bros. Records.

“As everyone clearly saw, I poured my heart and soul into the process and into the competition,” he says. “But looking back now, things could not have gone any better. Things happened perfect. I got the exposure. … People liked me, which was amazing, and I love my fans more than anything. I’m happy I didn’t make it. Looking back, it couldn’t have gone any better.”

If someone wants to criticize the show, fine. But someone who went on their and then cried like a schoolgirl when he was eliminated just looks like an ass doing so. And his statement that people who don't sing songs they wrote are somehow "inferior" is just wrong in so many ways. Idiot.

Edited By dws1982 on 1212028951
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

anonymous wrote:Katharine McPhee performed the Eva Cassidy arrangement of "Over the Rainbow" too and I don't recall it ever being mentioned anytime during the show.

A) But that really doesn't have anything to do with what I'm talking about. To re-iterate. When David Cook borrowed arrangements, bands came out of the woodwork saying he had borrowed their arrangements. David Archuleta covered Eva Cassidy's arrangement of "Imagine" note for note, and no one even mentioned it.

B) Anyway, Katharine McPhee did not perform Eva Cassidy arrangement of "Over the Rainbow". I listened to both versions back to back earlier today; I'm not sure whose arrangement McPhee used--there's a good bit of Garland's and a good bit of something else, but it's not recognizable as being from Eva Cassidy's arrangement.. Towards the end, she does borrow from Eva Cassidy: On the final "That's where you'll find me", instead of going down to the lower note on "me", she goes to the higher one (an octave higher), and then sings the chorus somewhere between Garland's and Cassidy's. Of course when she tried to get to that high note on "me", McPhee bungled it badly, but that's neither here nor there.

Edited By dws1982 on 1211667243
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The 10 best performances of the season:

01. David Archuleta - "Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me"
02. David Cook - "Always Be My Baby"
03. David Archuleta - "Imagine"
04. Jason Castro - "Over the Rainbow"
05. David Archuleta - "Stand By Me"
06. David Cook - "Billie Jean"
07. Brooke White - "Let It Be"
08. Michael Johns - "It's All Wrong But It's All Right"
09. Syesha Mercado - "One Rock & Roll Too Many"
10. Carly Smithson - "Come Together"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Edited.

Edited By flipp525 on 1211564252
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

cam wrote:I am glad it is over, not the least as it proved to be quite nasty round here.
How sterile does a place really need to be to make people happy?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

cam wrote:I am glad it is over, not the least as it proved to be quite nasty round here.
I agree things got needlessly nasty on this thread.

If it is true that Sonic Youth stopped posting here because of something said to him on this thread, I hope this is an opportunity for him to return. I enjoy his posts, even when the venom was directed at me. They make enjoyable reading. And I also enjoy the posting of articles from magazines and websites I would have never taken the time to hunt down. I learned a lot from them.

How are you and your wife, Sonic?
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

anonymous wrote:On hindsight, I do believe the producers fully intended for this to happen: Archuleta was given the winner's treatment on performance night. He gave his best performance ever on the show.
I think Simon queered it for Archuleta, by declaring he had won "every round" on production night. The Cook supporters, judging by his resounding win, must have jammed the phones. It was obvious to us that both Cook and Archuleta knew before the official announcement that Cook was the winner.

I am glad it is over, not the least as it proved to be quite nasty round here.. Now on to the other and much better contest of the Spring:So You Think You Can Dance.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

What a satisfying and deserved win for David Cook. I'm looking forward to his first album. Let's hope he includes some covers on it as well.

jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

To Archuleta's credit though, he took his defeat in stride and seemed happy for Cook. At least he didn't cry and blubber up the stage the way Brooke White did (that was embarrassing!) -- he may be cheesy and a predictable singer, but he's a good kid. I hope he gets away from his father soon though.

Return to “Broadcast Media”