Colts Win

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

To tell the truth, I've never liked the term "queen."

I like to think of myself as an empress. :;):
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Aww...stick your face out Sabin! :p
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

If I call you guys a bunch of queens, am I going to get a lecture or can we just please accept it as a note of affection? Because you guys are a bunch of friggin' queens. :)
"How's the despair?"
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Akash wrote:
Sabin wrote:That game was like getting smacked to death in the face with a dick.

And this is bad because....? :D
Really. If I'm gonna go before my time, that's how I wanna go!
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sabin wrote:That game was like getting smacked to death in the face with a dick.
And this is bad because....? :D
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

That game was like getting smacked to death in the face with a dick.

You have no idea what it was like living in Chicago right up until the end of the first quarter. It was insanity. It wasn't an issue of "would there be riots" but would there be happy riots or pissed riots. By the end of the game, there were no riots. The Bears weren't worth a riot. We all just kept drinking and slogged home.

The first quarter of the game was unreal. My ride kept circling Roosevelt to 8th Street on Wabash and State for twenty minutes until I had to yell at here that nobody was going to leave. She was in town from Indiana, so it's not necessarily her bad. I came in two minutes late and missed the opening score, and began drinking one after another like a Pabst Blue Ribbon ran over my dog.

Into the second quarter, we began to grow confused. Why wasn't anything happening? But we clapped still, convinced that the team from the first quarter would wake up from their naps.

Prince was amazing. At least I think Prince was amazing. There was too much talking to really hear what he was singing, but he looked like he was rocking out. I usually hate halftime shows, but this one (looked like it) was awesome. And I loved that he was playing his ####. Fantastic.

The second half was sad. You don't want to know what it's like in a Chicago Loop bar when that was going on, when you're down to a minute-thirty and hearing the one guy still giving a #### yelling "Come on! Let's hear it! Let's go!" gradually giving way to sounds of "#### it. Let's go light something on fire!". So we did. We missed the final minute of the game, went behind the bar, poured a line of lighter fluid and lit it on fire. I don't know how much it helped. We just silently watched it burn, until my friend uttered: "#### the Bears." "I know. #### the Bears."

We kept drinking, hitting on girls, eating more and more wings that had long-since went cold, and then just kind of helped clean up the bar. No riots, no overturned cars; we just bypassed I don't know how many stages and lapsed immediately into acceptence, the kind of acceptence that comes from a guy sitting at a bar-stool convinced that this is the year the Cubbies are gonna take it, only to shake his head with regret, staring down his Old Style two weeks later.

That game was an insult to a great city.
"How's the despair?"
Johnny Guitar
Assistant

Post by Johnny Guitar »

That Super Bowl was awful. My girlfriend is from Chicago so "my" team didn't win. The commercials were horrible. Aside from the opening kickoff return, Prince was the only good thing about the whole four hours. And now he's in trouble because the merest suggestion of a phallus completely freaks out the Powers That Be.

Sonic, I once read a breakdown of the rules of cricket. Against my intentions, I forgot most of it. So complicated. But! Tea breaks are a plus in sports!! How classy, right?

My adopted Premiership team is Arsenal, Damien. It would be pretentious of me to really call myself a fan or supporter, as I have zero personal attachment or history to the club, and I did choose one of the 'big four' English squads, so it's not like I've decided to bravely throw my lot in with a club that'll have huge ups and downs and might even get relegated in a season or two. But their playing style--fluid, creative teamwork and (sometimes) amazing finesse on the finishing ... it's the best choice for footballing aesthetics! And they're the only team to have gotten Manchester United's number twice this season (Man Utd has been on top of the rankings since the first week, and probably will stay that way). And in fact, Arsenal are playing Wigan in about 45 minutes.

Anyone who likes watching good plays & goals but doesn't want to view whole matches (wimps) should visit SoccerBlog, which usually rounds up video highlights of EPL, La Liga, MLS, etc. Or you can just search YouTube for compilation clips--Ronaldinho's are always fun. If you like the French national team, you can see highlights to the soccer clinic Zidane set up against defending champs Brazil in the World Cup quarterfinal last summer, probably the most dominating display of individual talent I've seen in a WC game (been watching since '94). When I watch that clip I still marvel at how effortlessly ZZ runs circles around the most skilled national squad in the world--like he's in the Matrix.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

That, and because the goal is as big as a ####ing house, yet no one can kick the ball in.

I actually watched an entire match last year. It was Angola-Cuba. It ended on a 0-0 tie after 90 minutes plus, and Angola took one shot on goal. One. And the consensus was that they played well.

Any sport where the team is thrilled to end a game on a 0-0 tie and make exactly one scoring attempt when the goal is as big as a house - bigger, if you're from Angola - that sport ain't right in the head.

And any sport that has to be settled with penalty kicks when no one is able to score in the first, um... two hours. That sport ain't right in the head.

And I played soccer when I was a kid. And I was great at it. And it was the only sport I was good at. Which is proof postive that sport ain't right in the head.

But what more should we expect? It's a sport from England, the same nation that brought us cricket, a game that actually has tea breaks in the rules.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien and Cam, count me among the soccer fans too! And not just because the boys are usually better looking than the steriod variety who play American football.

There was a terrific New Yorker article last year about this very subject - why this strong cult never became a phenomenon in the U.S. It was partly because of the seeming slowness as opposed to American games where touchdowns and homeruns are expected to make for a satisfying and ejaculatory audience response, whereas in soccer draws are not infrequent and you can literally have an entire game with 1 or no goals scored. The article also showed how soccer in high school (in the U.S.) is seen as a gateway game to field promising athletes into more traditional sports and so many potential soccer players and soccer fans lose interest in the game and find themselves herded into another area by the time they graduate high school.

Oh and congrats to Dennis even though I don't like the Colts.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Dennis, as part of the Chicago contingent on this board, I have to congratulate you on your teams victory. Looking at the two teams Sunday, the Colts definately deserved their victory.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Dennis Bee
Graduate

Post by Dennis Bee »

Okay, I have to respond here. I live in Indianapolis. I've been saying this week it's the trifecta--if the Democrats can win the election (sorry Criddic), Martin Scorsese can win the DGA, followed--do I dare@--by the Oscar, and the Colts, who have choked in the playoffs repeatedly before this year, can win the Super Bowl--then things might be looking up in the world. Go Colts! The parade was here, Mashari, Monday night. 50,000 people came out in near-Chicago-like weather (4 below).
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

You're totally correct Penelope: I had forgotten about the pitcher-catcher symbolism.
Soccer is important the world over, except for the US who cannot seem to win the World Cup, therefore to the US soccer is a kid's sport. But I disagree that soccer is not TV-friendly: we watch the BBC UK soccer all the time, and the games and announcers are not in the least boring. In Canada, kids want to play soccer OR hockey:if they are any good they continue to play adults' hockey and soccer. Canadian football is a joke: it's mostly Americans who play here anyway, and they are constantly harping about how they cannot perform as well as they should, as the rules are slightly different, and it is sometimes difficult for the Americans to understand this.
Re World Cup: the best thing on TV next to NCAA basketball March Madness or the Olympics. Americans do not want to play anything that they cannot win--it is humourous watching ABC coverage of a World Sport vs. CBC or BBC. Those of you who can get only American coverage of a world-class sport do not know what you are missing.
Same in politics, isn't it? :D
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Yes, baseball is great because the uniforms hug the body so tightly; and then, of course, there's the whole pitcher/catcher scenario. To be fair, though, football has tight ends and wide receivers.

I'm not much into sports, but the one I do enjoy actually attending (as opposed to watching on TV) is hockey--the games are a lot of fun, and, interestingly, the NHL is known as the most gay-friendly sports organization out there (perhaps that's the Canadian/European influence?).

As for soccer, my guess is that it's precisely the fact that American kids play soccer that it has never caught on here in the states: here, it's viewed as a kids' game, a starting sport before moving on to the big boys' games like baseball and football. Two more things: it doesn't really translate well to TV (the field is so massive on the screen, one can barely see the ball), and Americans--for whom winning is everything--can't comprehend a game that can end 0-0.

99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't baseball the sport that gays love to watch because of the uniforms? Soccer is alo great jock-watching.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Jack, Johnny Guitar, who used to be a regular here and is now an occasional visitor, is a huge soccer fan. When we had dinner two weeks ago, he told me he had adopted a British team as his own, but after a lot of Scotch and wine, I forgot which team it is.

Having played soccer in high school (mostly as a left wing, natch, lol) I closely follwed the New York Cosmos when soccer was seemingly making a toehold in the States in the late 70s. Now I occasionally watch a match on TV, and become obsessive during World Cup, always rooting for my beloved France.

I have no idea why soccer never really caught on here. Although baseball is my true love among sports, I think soccer is so much more interesting and exciting than football, hockey and, especially, basketball. And with a generation of public school kids now having played the sport, you'd think their participation would have transferred to a huge interest as fans.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “General Off-Topic”