Golden Globe Nominees

For the films of 2022
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Golden Globe Nominees

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:
Love to hear your thoughts on The Fabelmans. I keep mulling it over.
I'm working up to it. Trying to get my holiday stuff taken care of first. Hopefully, in the next few days.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Mister Tee wrote
Did Luhrman get a directing nod for Moulin Rouge, as well? I remember that movie seemed to be rolling fast toward a huge Oscar haul, but then it missed a couple of big ones on nominations day. I always thought Elvis was set for a best picture nomination in a year this bad, so the directing citation is the only part of its slate here that surprised me.
At the Golden Globes? Yes, as well as a DGA nomination. At the Academy Awards? No.

Love to hear your thoughts on The Fabelmans. I keep mulling it over.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It's impressive that this group could almost double its membership and still end up with a list that feels as Globes-y as can be. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; the Globes have been such a routine factor in awards season for roughly my entire life -- at least since 1964 -- and their record of forecasting the Oscars so hit and miss over the years, that I've always tolerated their idiosyncrasies more than those of their johnny-come-lately competitors.

The field as I've envisioned it didn't much change as a result of this. It's seemed clear to me, over the past few weeks, that Banshees, Everything Everywhere, and The Fabelmans are the core of the best picture race, and each of them got film/director/screenplay nods. You can argue that Banshees, by virtue of leading the nominations, showed more strength than Fabelmans, which missed a few spots, but I don't think the Globes are definitive in measuring subtleties like that.

Avatar does appear to be showing some late-year life, proving Cameron will always somehow pull it off with audiences and enough of the critics. It may be the film looks better after the disappointment of the Black Panther sequel, and compared to the too-bandied-about prospect of Maverick as a best picture possibility. Or maybe it actually is good. The hype over the visual effects makes me think even I might see this one in a theatre -- though I can wait till January/February, when the crowds die down.

Maverick did get its Film-Drama nomination, but precious little else beyond the obligatory song, making it, I'd say, less likely to triumph here.

TAR got the same, and it's way more important for a perceived-audience-unfriendly film such as this. Field missing director is obviously not ideal, but actress/screenplay/film is a solid platform. In a year of 5, TAR would look like a classic lone director, but it should crack the Academy ten easily enough.

Did Luhrman get a directing nod for Moulin Rouge, as well? I remember that movie seemed to be rolling fast toward a huge Oscar haul, but then it missed a couple of big ones on nominations day. I always thought Elvis was set for a best picture nomination in a year this bad, so the directing citation is the only part of its slate here that surprised me.

A lot of online folk seemed to be expecting Women Talking to kick ass here, so its screenplay/score nods felt like mere crumbs. I'd remind everyone that the Globes were very stingy to Gerwig's Little Women, as well, so girl movies may just land very poorly with them.

Seeing "The Globes are racist" was a BIG part of the brouhaha they just endured, it's startling they passed over Deadwyler, who seemed part of an impregnable three in best actress. Of course, assuming it was a racial exclusion is hard to prove when, over on the other side, they passed up Tom Cruise for the barely-seen Jeremy Pope.

I, by the way, view DeArmas' unexpected mention as a pleasant surprise, and don't think of her being the one who 86-d Deadwyler.

Brendan Fraser is loudly boycotting the Globes, and his film got just the one nomination, so it's unlikely his campaign to head off Colin Farrell will be helped by a win here (I think Butler's got it cold). The only good news for him is The Whale opened to pretty spectacular limited-release numbers -- though I wonder if that's solely due to the culty Aronofsky fans, and might be short-lived.

Good news for Nighy. And anything that undercuts the absurd notion of a Cruise nomination is jake with me.

That so many of its nods came on the junior side of the board make it hard to know how seriously to take Babylon. But , give it credit: 3 acting nods (one in competition with the whole field), film, and score to boot -- for a film that seemed to have disappeared of late, a good showing.

A good get for Triangle of Sadness. Weirdly, I think this is a movie that might do better with populist groups like the Globes and Oscars than with critics. I could see it making the academy 10.

I'm happy to see Leslie Manville and Emma Thompson get some recognition, in place of a star-fuck like Julia Roberts would have been. Similarly happy Adam Driver made it in over Clooney.

The supporting slates remain fungible -- I could imagine fewer than 3 nominees carrying over to the Oscars in each category. The situation is most made murky by the presence of double contenders for multiple films: Banshees, Everything Everywhere, Women Talking, and The Fabelmans. One of them got both, another got one, the other two got zero...but many of those could play out differently at AMPAS. It's a complicated issue to go into here, but I think you really have to coldly evaluate these cases to gauge which are most likely to score the double, or even one. Banshees obviously did best, and I think that's because Gleeson is 1) solid and 2) close to a co-lead, and Keoghan is both a knockout performance (more obviously "impressive" than Gleeson) and a substantial role. The Fabelmans seems analogous, but Dano is more recessive than Gleeson, and Hirsch's role -- while the life of the party -- is truly tiny. Meantime, while I haven't seen Women Talking, my impression is even supporters can't seem to decide whether Buckley or Foy is the superior choice, so a group like the Globes, which wasn't much for the movie overall, left both out. And, as far as Everything Everywhere, Jamie Lee Curtis has a long-time record with HFPA, which may have impacted here battle with Stephanie Hsu. Remains to be seen if any of this carries over to the Oscars.

By the way, kind of wild that, after a quarter century of no double-nominees in supporting actor, it's now pretty much an annual event.

Oh, and, good for Dolly DeLeon.

Not much to say about the other categories, except I watched Pinocchio tonight, and that Ciao, Papa song is quite lovely.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The Fabelmans is being released to pay-per-view tomorrow, which should significantly improve its visibility.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I think the big winner of the day is Elvis. There's been some speculation on this board as to whether or not it will be taken seriously. Missing a spot on the National Board of Review ten didn't do it any favors. But we're talking about a film that grossed over $150m domestic when most films and struggling and pulled in nominations for Best Film, Actor, and Director for Baz Luhrmann. Since 2010, only two films have picked up Film and Director nominations and failed to make the final cut (The Ides of March, Carol). Elvis is definitely in the running.

Similarly, Avatar: The Way of Water pulling in nominations for Film and Director. I've never seen a bigger film lurking around the corner that has more claims of apathy awaiting it. But along with its Top Ten mention from the National Board of Review citation, it seems to be at least to some degree in the race, not to mention probably a pretty fun picture. And of course, all of this logic extends to Top Gun: Maverick.

Oh, and yes, The Banshees of Inisherin pulling in eight nominations is a big thing. Who thought that Martin McDonagh would over-perform his Three Billboards... tally?

The big loser is obviously Women Talking which I thought would lead the day but managed nominations only for writing and music, and no acting nominations. I'd say less obviously The Fabelmans didn't get the haul that it could have either. Certainly, five nominations puts it in the running for a win. But with its lagging box office, The Fabelmans needs a day of truly good news and that hasn't happened yet. Why couldn't Gabriel LaBelle (playing Young Spielberg!) get a nomination for Best Actor over Hugh Jackman, for a film nobody reportedly likes? Or over Jeremy Pope, for a film that should be in the running for an Indie Spirit nomination? If voters aren't connecting to Gabriel LaBelle as a performance, that's not great, lol. Why didn't Paul Dano or Judd Hirsch get nominations for Best Supporting Actor over Eddie Redmayne for The Good Nurse, a movie that barely exists?

Over the last ten years, we've seen an increasing divergence between Best Picture and Best Director, where the former goes to the more emotional piece of storytelling while the latter goes to the more accomplished technical feat. Last year, we saw something different. Jane Campion became the first person since Mike Nichols (forty years prior) whose film won Best Director and nothing else, for a film that was widely admired but not loved. I wonder if Steven Spielberg will become the second in as many years to do the same.

There are plenty of other takeaways to observe but I'll congratulate Flipp for insisting that Dolly De Leon will be a thing. Now I wonder if she's going to win this award from the HFPA? Really who else might they choose? I'm also increasingly wondering if Triangle of Sadness will end up being more of a hit within the industry than with critics. If pushed to ten Best Picture nominations, I think Neon can get it in.
"How's the despair?"
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Reza wrote:Why is Angela Bassett on the list? Ditto Jamie Lee Curtis. Neither was exceptional in the films they were nominated for.
If you follow Jamie Lee Curtis on Instagram you can see how hard she is campaigning to get the oscar nomination... it's almost Diane Ladd level
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Reza wrote:Why is Angela Bassett on the list? Ditto Jamie Lee Curtis. Neither was exceptional in the films they were nominated for.
Name recognition. Curtis was a slam dunk considering that she was the only star to show up at last year's awards. Bassett has been making the rounds on TV news shows as well as entertainment programs as though her film and her role in it have social significance beyond the movies.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

No Todd Field for Best Director seems pretty significant. That used to be a bad omen for the film's overall' Oscar performance, although I don't know if that's recently held true.
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Why is Angela Bassett on the list? Ditto Jamie Lee Curtis. Neither was exceptional in the films they were nominated for.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Question is... who will show up, aside from Jamie Lee Curtis?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Didn't catch this live, haven't seen any reactions but these are mine:

The Good
Jeremy Pope in Best Actor - Drama over Tom Cruise
Adam Driver in Best Actor - Comedy over Adam Sandler
Barry Koeghan in Supporting Actor over Paul Dano

The Bad
No Women Talking in Best Picture - Drama
James Cameron and Baz Luhrmann for Director over Todd Field and Sarah Polley but at least they were nominated for Screenplay
Eddie Redmayne in Supporting Actor over Ben Whishaw
Carey Mulligan's category fraud over Jessie Buckley and Claire Foy in Supporting Actress

The Ugly
Ana de Armas over Danielle Deadwyler in Best Actress - Drama

Only at the Globes
Brad Pitt in Supporting Actor over Judd Hirsch
anonymous1980
Laureate

Golden Globe Nominees

Post by anonymous1980 »

Best Picture, Drama
Elvis
The Fabelmans
Tar
Top Gun: Maverick

Best Actress, Drama
Cate Blanchett, Tár
Olivia Colman, Empire of Light
Viola Davis, The Woman King
Ana de Armas, Blonde
Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans

Best Actor, Drama
Austin Butler, Elvis
Brendan Fraser, The Whale
Hugh Jackman, The Son
Bill Nighy, Living
Jeremy Pope, The Inspection

Best Picture, Musical or Comedy
Babylon
The Banshees of Inisherin
Everything Everywhere All at Once
Glass Onion
Triangle of Sadness

Best Actor, Musical Comedy
Diego Calva, Babylon
Daniel Craig, Glass Onion
Adam Driver, White Noise
Colin Farrell, The Banshees of Inisherin
Ralph Fiennes, The Menu

Best Actress, Musical or Comedy
Lesley Manville, Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris
Margot Robbie, Babylon
Anya Taylor Joy, The Menu
Emma Thompson, Good Luck to You Leo Grande
Michelle Yeoh, Everything Everywhere All at Once

Best Supporting Actor
Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin
Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin
Brad Pitt, Babylon
Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Eddie Redmayne, The Good Nurse

Best Supporting Actress
Angela Bassett, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin
Jamie Lee Curtis, Everything Everywhere all at Once
Dolly de Leon, Triangle of Sadness
Carey Mulligan, She Said

Best Director
Jame Cameron, Avatar: The Way of Water
Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Baz Luhrmann, Elvis
Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans

Best Screenplay
Todd Field, Tár
Tony Kushner & Steven Spielberg, The Fabelmans
Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert, Everything Everywhere All at Once
Martin McDonagh, The Banshees of Inisherin
Sarah Polley, Women Talking

Best Original Score
Alexandre Desplat, Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Hildur Guðnadóttir, Women Talking
Justin Hurwitz, Babylon
John Williams, The Fabelmans
Carter Burwell, The Banshees of Inisherin

Best Original Song
“Carolina,” Where the Crawdads Sing
“Ciao Papa,” Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
“Hold My Hand,” Top Gun: Maverick
“Lift Me Up,” Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
“Naatu Naatu,” RRR

Best Animated Feature
Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio
Marcel the Shell With Shoes On
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
Turning Red
Inu-oh

Best Non-English-Language Film
RRR (India)
All Quiet on the Western Front (Germany)
Argentina, 1985 (Argentina)
Close (Belgium)
Decision to Leave (South Korea)

Return to “95th Academy Awards”