Academy Shortlists 2021

For the films of 2021
rolotomasi99
Professor

Re: Academy Shortlists 2021

Post by rolotomasi99 »

OscarGuy wrote:And Writing's on the Wall is not just the worst Bond song ever written, it may be one of the worst songs ever to win the Oscar for Best Original Song.
I still really loathe It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And Writing's on the Wall is not just the worst Bond song ever written, it may be one of the worst songs ever to win the Oscar for Best Original Song.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Yes. Per her IMDb. Bio, as of 2016, Markéta Irglová is the youngest Oscar winner outside of an acting category, winning Best Original Song for "Falling Slowly" at age 19 (she turned 20 four days after the ceremony). No one younger has won since, so she still holds the record.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Greg wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:As well as all the songs here:
My favorite is "No Time To Die." If it does win the Oscar, would this make 20-year-old Billie Eilish the youngest winner in the Best Original Song ?
Nope. Marketa Irglova of “Falling Slowly” fame was just 19, four days short of 20, when she won so no, she wouldn’t be. I also believe Marketa Irglova may be the youngest non-acting Oscar winner too.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I'm thinking Dune, Encanto, The Last Duel, The Power of the Dog, and The Tragedy of Macbeth for Best Score.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

mlrg wrote:
Greg wrote:
My favorite is "No Time To Die." If it does win the Oscar, would this make 20-year-old Billie Eilish the youngest winner in the Best Original Song category? Does anyone know how many James Bond songs have won this award?
Two: Adele’s Skyfall and Writings on the Wall from Spectre.
The remarkable thing is, arguably the most famous Bond song of all -- Goldfinger -- couldn't even muster a nomination. It wasn't till the 8th Bond film (with the help of a former Beatle) that any Bond song made the nominations, and it took all the way to Skyfall for a win. That it could now get up to a 3rd win is something no one would have bet on 20 years ago.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Greg wrote:
My favorite is "No Time To Die." If it does win the Oscar, would this make 20-year-old Billie Eilish the youngest winner in the Best Original Song category? Does anyone know how many James Bond songs have won this award?
Two: Adele’s Skyfall and Writings on the Wall from Spectre.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

rolotomasi99 wrote:You can here a short sample of all the original scores here:
My favorite scores were Dune and The Power Of The Dog.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

flipp525 wrote:I actually thought that Being the Ricardos had a great score that perfectly suited what the movie was trying to do. Probably the one citation that makes the most sense. I thought Sorkin’s screenplay was over-expository and, at times, flat-out awful. Giving lines to characters they would never actually say and making them devices/mouth-pieces to deliver “themes.” Maybe he needs to start doing coke again—the writing then was better.
Aaron Sorkin agrees with you: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EOF-AB5c-ko
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:“Down To Joy” from “Belfast” - well used in the film but doesn't stand out on its own
Also, Van Morrison's anti-vaxxer views may turn some people off from nominating him. Obviously his inclusion in the shortlist shows he still has some support, but if enough people find his behavior deplorable it could make the difference between being nominated over some of the bigger names and better songs.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

anonymous1980 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote: “Dos Oruguitas” from “Encanto” - not catchy enough to overcome usual bias against foreign language songs
But it's from a popular movie and written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. It's also well-used in the film. I think it's Top 5.
Could well be.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Big Magilla wrote: “Dos Oruguitas” from “Encanto” - not catchy enough to overcome usual bias against foreign language songs
But it's from a popular movie and written by Lin-Manuel Miranda. It's also well-used in the film. I think it's Top 5.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Thanks for this, Rolo.

I listened to most of these for the first time.

Based on the songs themselves, not their use in the films, most of which I haven't seen, I would nominate those I've highlighted:

“So May We Start?” from “Annette” - interesting
“Down To Joy” from “Belfast” - well used in the film but doesn't stand out on its own
“Right Where I Belong” from “Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road” - very good
“Automatic Woman” from “Bruised” - bruising
“Dream Girl” from “Cinderella” - as awful as everything else about this gigantic piece of crap
“Beyond The Shore” from “CODA” - very good
“The Anonymous Ones” from “Dear Evan Hansen” - minor play on the film's themes
“Just Look Up” from “Don’t Look Up” - catchy
“Dos Oruguitas” from “Encanto” - not catchy enough to overcome usual bias against foreign language songs
“Guns Go Bang” from “The Harder They Fall” - catchy
“Be Alive” from “King Richard” - forgettable
“No Time To Die” from “No Time to Die” - already a Grammy winner
“Here I Am (Singing My Way Home)” from “Respect” - powerful
“Your Song Saved My Life” from “Sing 2” - very good
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

You can hear a short sample of all the original scores here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhQwpWavneQ

As well as all the songs here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahqnVhdw66U
Last edited by rolotomasi99 on Fri Dec 24, 2021 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “94th Academy Awards”