Honorary Oscars Announced

For the films of 2021
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Re: Honorary Oscars Announced

Post by Mister Tee »

I spent a while trying to figure why I knew of Danny Glover even prior to Places in the Heart; finally remembered I'd seen him in Master Harold...and the Boys on Broadway two years before.

I agree with you that he was prominent from Places in the Heart on -- much as I liked Malkovich in those days, I'd have given Glover the supporting nomination for the film. (Also would have cited him for Grand Canyon, and I'm sure many would mention To Sleep with Anger.) The Color Purple was, in fact, a less-than-stellar credit for him, as some of the critical reaction against the film thought his character cast black men in a bad light.

I'd guess the push for Elaine May might have come from those who've read Mark Harris' Mike Nichols book. Her essential role in his entire career is much clearer from that than it's ever been.

A nice thing about there being so many honorary awards every year is the Board of Governors are looking past the obvious high-profile names and going for those whose contributions are more subtle -- like Roger Corman, Frederick Wiseman, Jean-Claude Carriere. I'd say the May choice falls into that category.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Danny Glover is a wonderful choice for the Hersholt. He could just as easily have been honored for his multi-faceted acting career. My only quibble with the press release is the statement that he first attracted widespread attention in The Color Purple. Wrong. He first attracted widespread attention in Place in the Heart a year earlier and was memorable as well in Witness and Silverado before The Color Purple the following year. That he's never had an Oscar nomination for any of his amazing performances is incredible. He's way overdue for recognition.

Liv Ullmann is, of course, overdue. I just wish they had given one to Max von Sydow before he died.

Samuel L. Jackson is a better choice than Harrison Ford who will probably never be honored. It's not that Ford isn't a decent actor, but he is notorious for turning down roles other actors would give their eyeteeth for, always on the lookout for the big paycheck. Not that Jackson isn't guilty of going for the big paychecks as well, but unlike Ford, his acting choices have been more limited.

I love Elaine May's self-deprecating, sardonic humor even though I don't love her movies. She was at her best in those routines with Mike Nichols that ended in the early 1960s. It must have been her acceptance speech at the last Tonys that brought her renewed affection from the industry that turned its back on her after the disaster that was Ishtar. A surprise choice, but a good one.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

mlrg wrote:Spectacular group but one might ask what has Samuel L.Jackson done for the industry that Harrison Ford hasn’t.
Ford's turn is most probably just around the corner.
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

mlrg wrote:Spectacular group but one might ask what has Samuel L.Jackson done for the industry that Harrison Ford hasn’t.

He’s a much better actor, for one thing.

I like these choices a lot. Hooray for the recognition of Elaine May! Ullman is an undeniably good choice, as is Glover for the Hersholt. . I’m especially delighted about Glover because he resides (or at least did recently) in my city of Oakland, and grew up in San Francisco. We used to go to the same gym. He is a really unassuming guy, no star airs whatsoever.
Last edited by danfrank on Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

What fantasic choices!
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Spectacular group but one might ask what has Samuel L.Jackson done for the industry that Harrison Ford hasn’t.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

When Morgan Freeman won his Oscar, he was asked how it would change things for him. His answer: "People'll stop asking when I'm going to win one". Liv Ullmann, especially, falls into that niche -- it feels like she's been on the wish list here since we started prognosticating. 45 years since she should have won.

Great group, overall. A lot of Elaine May's efforts have been under the table (read Mark Harris' Mike Nichols bio for background on that), so it's good to know she's being acknowledged. Samuel Jackson still may have a regular Oscar in his future, but he's advanced enough in his career for this to make sense. And Danny Glover is a great choice for the Hersholt.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Honorary Oscars Announced

Post by FilmFan720 »

Samuel L. Jackson, Liv Ullmann, and Elaine May.

Danny Glover receives the Hersholt.

Great group!
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “94th Academy Awards”