[NE] Nomination Elim Game ('79- OSCARGUY)

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

In Best Picture, I'll replace Sense and Sensibility with The Bridges of Madison County, the chick-flick--which is very much an Eastwood film--that probably would've gotten several more nominations had it been released late in the year, rather than in summer.

In Best Film Editing, I'm going to replace Babe with Nixon. Babe is an enjoyable enough movie, but I think its strengths lay elsewhere.

In Best Art Direction, I'll replace Apollo 13 with 12 Monkeys. I'm not sure why 12 Monkeys got in for Costumes and not Art Direction, honestly. Apollo 13 has fine Art Direction, but I think the sets of 12 Monkeys are more evocative and more original than a replica of the mission control room at NASA.

Edited By dws1982 on 1208290244
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You're so lucky...I would love to have a free day off...not to mention, I wish I had friends who'd fly in from other parts of the country to see me on my birthday...it sounds like you're truly well loved. That's wonderful.

But, I must say. Of all the bad that happened yesterday, none of it got to me really bad. Normally, a bad day causes me large amounts of stress and ruins the rest of the day. I didn't really feel that this time, so I don't know if it means I better adjusted or I'm just not on my typical male mood downswing.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1208285342
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Your day sounds much worse than mine. Things are actually going quite well, I just wish I was still on vacation and with my friends. I had people flying in from all over the country for my bday weekend and I miss them already. On the bright side though, my boss told me to take Thursday off because the Pope's visit to Washington is going to make it extremely crowded downtown. Yay to the second three-day week in a row!
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Hey, I understand. Yesterday was one of those days for me. I had the morning off from work because I had to get my car inspected to renew my tags, then I had to go to the DMV (outsourced now) to get renewed. Well, their mail message saying I needed to renew didn't tell me I needed to bring cash or a check. I use my debit card for EVERYTHING. So, I had to jump out of line and run over to the bank.

Got to the ATM and put my card in. Although the screen said to insert my card, it ratcheted it in and then kept it. The screen changed to say it was temporarily out of service. I got on my cell and called them up. They couldn't do anything and said it would be sent back to me, but they'd temporarily close the card until I got it back...BY MAIL. So, I had to get money out just to take care of the registration and my eye doctor co-pay.

Then, the doctor took longer than I expected (where I found out that glasses have escalated in cost and would be, with insurance partly covered, probably more than $200 or $300 if I got nice frames). So, I have to run late, run home, grab my lunch which I have to take to work to heat up and eat and it all ends with me stuck for four hours at work when I really could have used that half day off for something fun instead of something frustrating.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

You're right. I'm sorry. I'm a cranky bitch today. I wish I was still on vacation.

Edited By flipp525 on 1208281306
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I don't know where that came from, flipp. We weren't even talking about that. I don't understand why you decided to just attack me suddenly. That was a rather inappropriate a response.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1208280727
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

See, the difference between you and me, OscarGuy, is that I'm not going to huff and puff and cry in the corner because people didn't agree with my choice. I'll proudly just own it.
FilmFan720 wrote:By the way, flipp, it is your turn in the PenelopOscar game.

Thanks, I'm working up my response now. Unfortunately, there's a lot to catch up on at work and I'm a bit busy. I'll check in soon though.

Edited By flipp525 on 1208280278

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

See, I remember the Oscarcast where they showed the designs and thought A Little Princess did look quite good. And I was rather astounded anyone would replace it with something as generic as Sense and Sensibility, but even the Academy doesn't escape those traditional mindsets.
Wesley Lovell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

By the way, flipp, it is your turn in the PenelopOscar game.

And I really need to see A Little Princess.

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1208277886
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Not my turn.
"How's the despair?"
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:'You've Got a Friend in Me' is almost as lovely as the art direction for 'A Little Princess'. I can remember minutes of that film on end, but barely much design for 'Sense and Sensibility'. That film could've taken place on the set for 'Howards End' or 'A Room with a View' for all I know, but 'A Little Princess' is more distinctively visual than any other film in that category including the admittedly lovely 'Babe' and 'Restoration'.
Rescue it then if you want, beyotch.

Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

'You've Got a Friend in Me' is almost as lovely as the art direction for 'A Little Princess'. I can remember minutes of that film on end, but barely much design for 'Sense and Sensibility'. That film could've taken place on the set for 'Howards End' or 'A Room with a View' for all I know, but 'A Little Princess' is more distinctively visual than any other film in that category including the admittedly lovely 'Babe' and 'Restoration'.
"How's the despair?"
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

OscarGuy wrote:You should be glad you saved Newman from destruction, FF. I would have booted him instantly as I find You've Got a Friend in Me as annoying as any song he's ever written (When She Loved Me is the only one of his Pixar tunes I can stand and I absolutely adore it).

Blasphemy OG. Randy Newman is one of my favorite songwriters alive today (he belongs in the pantheon, in my opinion), and I think You've Got a Friend in Me is a delightful song. His "I Will Go Sailing No More" from the same film is also a wonder. His Pixar output has not been as great recently, but these songs are fabulous. Thank you for getting rid of that Bryan Adams thing.

I almost didn't save "You've Got a Friend in Me," but thought it was just the sort of nomination someone would come at in attack mode...just didn't think it would be you:)

Nice pick with GoldenEye, by the way.

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1208275772
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I didn't realize I was so soon and it looks like FilmFan was lurking to see flipp post.

Anyway, I'll do some preserving too, I think.

First, there's no way Babe will be removed from this Best Picture lineup. It is still, to this day, one of my favorite Best Picture nominees ever.

You should be glad you saved Newman from destruction, FF. I would have booted him instantly as I find You've Got a Friend in Me as annoying as any song he's ever written (When She Loved Me is the only one of his Pixar tunes I can stand and I absolutely adore it).

Now, I must eliminate one of the other songs. I like Colors of the Wind even if Pocahontas doesn't exactly hold up to viewings these many years later. It's still a lovely song.

However, I do take this moment to kick Bryan Adams to the curb. He's a horrendously banal singer that reminds me too often of the wastes of space that act as filler on American Idol. So, "Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman" is out...it's not even a very good song to begin with.

I replace it with the best Bond theme song in years. It was also the best of the Brosnan Bond themes. So, "GoldenEye" written by Bono and The Edge and sung by Tina Turner is a classic of the genre and ranks very high in the echelon of Bond songs for me. So, in it goes.

I kinda put a list together of chances and preservations I'd like to make. So, as others take mine, I have to slowly work my way through my list. So, the first preservation on my list (yes, I ranked them in the order I'd like to see them added/preserved), comes in the Art Direction field and its to keep the charming and delightful designwork in the film Babe.

Note: Poor Emma...she gets dumped from Best Actress no her birthday...
Wesley Lovell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I'll keep things moving. We are always focusing on righting Oscar's mistakes. I am going to use my turn to protect some of it's rights.

I preserve Elisabeth Shue's glorious performance in Leaving Las Vegas (and are there a better pair of breasts in Hollywood?)

I preserve Randy Newman's glorious "You've Got a Friend in Me" from Toy Story.

I also preserve the phenomenal costume design of Richard III. An underrated Shakespearean translation, the wardrobe of that film is essential in bringing that story to life.
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”