[PO] Penelope's Elimination Game

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

dws, you need to pick a category and pass it along to Akash.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

And is the master list updated so we know what hasn't been used yet?

I'll update this weekend...sorry for, um, being out of it the past week or so.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

dws1982 wrote:Who does my next category go to?

You pass to Akash, dws.

Edited By flipp525 on 1202965041
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Damn you, Zahveed! If it were anyone else, I'd say they were trying to force me to use my last pass, but since you haven't been around many months, you probably are not familiar with my Eastwood-love.

I might still save my pass in a better lineup, but I don't like any of the other four nominees. The Aviator is a bloated mess, Ray is a bloated mess (and inferior to other musician biopics like Walk the Line and even La Vie En Rose, itself something of a bloated mess), Finding Neverland is an effing Marc Forster film, and the whole Sideways thing, other than Virginia Madsen, I still don't get, three years after having seen it. Maybe in 15-20 years, I will--I get the impression that it's a middle-aged man's film.

So I use my last pass and let Eastwood's film keep it.

Who does my next category go to? And is the master list updated so we know what hasn't been used yet?

Edited By dws1982 on 1202966569
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I knew it, I just knew it. My gut told me to pick Garland but I just didn't. It's a shame that I seem to keep picking "wrong" choices, but oh well. I'll strike gold at some point. And I won't edit my ballot. It's just doesn't feel right, at least in this game.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Dorothy Dandridge is FANTASTIC in Carmen Jones...but there's no question Judy deserved the Oscar that year. This moment alone should have guaranteed her the Oscar.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Listen to him Zahveed. Quick before the gays find out. I don't think anyone's noticed yet. Seriously, just take a deep breath, quietly edit your reply, and give it to Judy. No one has to know. Give it to Judy and no one gets hurt. Good god man, do it quick!

Edited By Akash on 1202950673
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Zahveed wants to edit and vote again. Judy Garland gives one of the greatest performances EVER!!! in A Star is Born and everybody here will lose their shit if you don't re-vote. Nothing personal. You haven't seen any of the movies so you don't know. But you are required to give it to Garland. Just edit your ballot and I'll edit my response into a midget joke.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

This category turned out to be more interesting than I thought. Grace Kelly ended up becoming a princess, which is better than getting an academy award I would imagine, so I'm going to go ahead and eliminate her. Audrey Hepburn and Jane Wyman have both won Oscars, so I'm going to eliminate them too. That leaves Dorothy Dandridge and Judy Garland. I'm not too familiar with Dandridge, but Garland has won numerous other awards outside of the Academy. Through the power of deduction, I give it to Dandridge.

Note: I haven't seen any of these performances. Inform me if there's one that's a must-see. If I didn't give the correct answer you can beat me with a stick later.

dws - Picture '04
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Zahveed, there is a correct answer here.
"How's the despair?"
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I've never seen Two for the Seesaw, so I'll take that one out first. The Birdman of Alcatraz has great cinematography, but I don't think it deserves the Oscar.

The Longest Day probably deserves to win this one, but I'm not willing to use one of my passes on it.

That leaves me with To Kill a Mockingbird and Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?. Mockingbird is pretty fantastic, but the cinematography in Baby Jane is pitch-perfect and only enhances the creepiness of the movie. I'm giving it to Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?.

Zahveed, Best Actress 1954.

Edited By MovieWes on 1202930690
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I would hate to be in this contest and have used up all my passes by the time it got to this one.

Shelley Winters was never one of favorite actresses, but she did give a number of fine performances, her sympathetic fat lady in The Poseiden Adventure being one of them, but Eileen Heckart's Oscar was one of the relatively few in this category that was given to the right person.

The role of the mother in Butterflies Are Free was wanted by every actress of a certain age at the time - much as the title role in Driving Miss Daisy would be 17 years later - but the producers to their everlasting credit gave it to the actress who created the role on stage. No one could have delivered the line "and I know you're not Snow White" as flawlessly and as hilariously as Heckart does in her retort to Goldie Hawn after Hawn says "I know you're not the wicked witch". A gem of a performance.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Sabin wrote:check out The Heartbreak Kid sometime and Jeannie Berlin's beautifully graceless performance.

Jeannie Berlin's lovely in The Heartbreak Kid, Shelley Winters is wonderfully whale-like in The Poseiden Adventure, Susan Tyrell is screechingly common in Fat City, and Geraldine Page is a romping hoot in Pete N' Tillie, but this category belongs to Eileen Heckart for her fabulous turn as the sarcastic yet endearing mother of a blind boy poised on the brink of independence in Butterflies Are Free. A truly beautiful performance deservedly awarded that year.

Edited By flipp525 on 1202914773

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sabin wrote:check out The Heartbreak Kid sometime and Jeannie Berlin's beautifully graceless performance.
You know, even if I had seen and liked other performances, I think she was robbed in '51 and with the rest of her Oscars gone, I feel obligated to give her, a fantastic actress, an award even if it is for something as unfavorably liked as The Poseidon Adventure.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:But I won't use a pass here... specially when we have Max Von Sydow here. I love the guy and this performance absolutely steals my heart and soul out. It's aching and spirited. I give him the award...
I was so hoping you'd choose von Sydow! A beautiful performance, surely one of the most moving of the period. His final moments in the film break me. Hard to believe that this is von Sydow's only Oscar nomination but it's marvellous that they nominated his subtle work, especially alongside the showboating that filled out the category that year.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”