Book recommendations, please

For discussions of subjects relating to literature and theater.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Nope, but I will now.

My last two reads were Jose Saramago's Blindness and Doris Lessing's The Grass is Singing. Loved the former, liked the latter.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Ever since I was introduced to Alan Moore's "Watchmen", I have been reading some graphic novels. Anyone else read Craig Thompson's "Blankets"? Very moving and generous (600 pages) graphic novel about youth, yet only takes maybe 2-3 hours to read in one sitting, I would highly recommend it.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Facebook has a Visual Bookshelf application where you can do the same thing, I have some 350 books already read. It makes me feel wise, kinda.
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Penelope wrote:Is anybody else a member of Goodreads? It's a website where people can list the books they've read, are reading, and are on their bookshelf to read. I just joined up, here's a link:

Goodreads
This sounds like a completely pointless ridiculous waste of time and for sure is right up my alley! I love keeping lists. I will sign up and see what it is like.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Movielover wrote:franz ferdinand... may i ask what you do for a living that affords you the time to read all of that? im jealous.
I wish I could say something really cool and envious, or that I get paid to read all that, but basically I'm a fresh graduate trying to discover himself. And failing, judging by the amount of time I spend absorbed in books. :D
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

Ok. Here are the books i read in 2007

Mark Haddon -The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time
Ian McEwan - Atonement
Ian McEwan - On Chesil Beach
Kazuo Ishiguro - Never Let Me Go
Zoe Heller - Notes on a Scandal
Phillip Roth - Everybody
John Banville - The Sea
David Sedaris - Dress Your Family In Corduroy and Denim
Patrick Suskind - Perfume
Harold Pinter - Various Voices: Pose, Poetry, Politics
Evelyn Waugh - Brideshead Revisited
F. Scott Fitzerald - Tender Is the Night
DBC Pierre - Vernon God Little
Thomas Mann - Death In Venice
Reymond Carver - What We Talk About When We Talk About Love
Bruce Robinson - Withnail and I
4 greek novels

Jean Racine - Andromache
Joan Didion - The Year of Magical Thinking
Heinrich Von Kleist - Prince Of Holbrook
Reginald Rose - Twelve Angry Men
John Patrick Stanley - Doubt
Nicholas Wright - Reporter
Etherege - Man of Mode
Richard Greenberg - Take Me Out
Agnes Jaoui, Jean Pierre Bacri - A Family Affair
Simon Stephens - On the Shore of the Wide World
Michael Frayn - Donkey's Years
Moira Buffini - Dying for It
April De Angelis - A Laughing Matter
Peter Shaffer - Amadeus
Peter Shaffer - Equus
3 greek plays
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Is anybody else a member of Goodreads? It's a website where people can list the books they've read, are reading, and are on their bookshelf to read. I just joined up, here's a link:

Goodreads
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Movielover
Graduate

Post by Movielover »

franz ferdinand... may i ask what you do for a living that affords you the time to read all of that? im jealous.
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Allegra Goodman's novel Intuition is outstanding. An absorbing story about an ethics scandal at a medical research laboratory. Intersesting characters, if somewhat broadly drawn to represent "types" (for lack of a better word). But the motivations of the characters-the superstar postdoc who makes the stunning cancer research breakthrough; the other postdocs and worker drones at the lab who are feeling envious, happy for and suspicious of their colleague all at the same time; the scientists who run the lab; the people at the organizations that police the scientific community; the members of Congress who control the funding for these labs-are all complex. I have very little knowledge about the science that is the subject of this book or of the scientific research field. But the details of the research process and the day to day lives of those who work in it felt very right to me. I enjoyed reading this.
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Written in the style of Revolutionary-era pamphleteers, Naomi Wolf's chillingly well-researched nonfiction piece, The End of America details the ten steps of how a would-be dictator closes down an open society and how each of these steps is currently being performed in the United States under the Bush administration. She compares the stranglehold this administration has on much of our rights to such previously destroyed democracies as pre-Mussollini Italy, pre-Nazi Germany during its most decadent Bauhaus period, Chile before General Pinochet's wrath, China. For example, Goebbels' spontaneously staged book-burnings find an eerie modern-day counterpart in the Dixie Chicks CD rallies that popped up after their controversial anti-Bush comments (and Wolf is quick to point out that CDs don't even burn; they only produce noxious, toxic fumes that are then emitted into the atmosphere). The internment of Japanese-Americans finds a counterpart in modern-day ill-conceived Islamic round-ups and endless confinement at Guantanamo Bay. The correlations range from mirror images to only a repetition of phrases and images (i.e. mothers being made to drink their own breast milk by TSA agents at the airport is held up next to another dictatorship where people were forced to consume strange substances). Even when the comparisons are faint, it only adds to the sense that each small step contributes to an eventual shift in perspective, then rule of law.

Setting up an off-campus detention (read: torture) facility that falls outside of the umbrella of due process; creating an internal militia designed to target Americans in case of a "state of emergency" (deemed so by the president); the quashing of dissident voices and critics -- each step in the blueprint finds an American counterpart and this country's descent into fascism is made that much easier. The most haunting sections of her book include passages where she presents a situation that the Founders wrote into the Constitution specifically to avoid. It's also shocking to discover that totalitarian states do not suddenly arise overnight. Dictators use the democratic tools already in place in order to promote and proliferate authoritarianism within seemingly flourishing democracies. Her book is a more substantial work than just a New York Times bestseller; it is a self-proclaimed 'call to arms' and concludes by asking its readers to pick up the cause of democracy in America before it's too late. Highly recommended.

The Original BJ, The House of Mirth is indeed an incredible novel. Wharton's wry style is completely original and her "from-within" condemnation of the Guilded Age hides a ferocity behind a gentle storm. I'd suggest you pick up The Custom of the Country which features a heroine (Undine Sprague) who is every bit as fasacinating as Lily Bart, Ellen Olenska or May Welland. Also, her novel called Summer which was banned upon publication and remained so for years.

Edited By flipp525 on 1200456837
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

Saw the movie first and didn't see what everyone else loved in it. Read the novel and loved it, promised myself to read more of her works and have never gotten around to it. I thought that both The House of Mirth and The Age of Innocence were revelations.
Finding a new author who is that good is rare. I thought that when I read The Europeans by Henry James. So I read Washington Square. Now I have been hopelessly lost in What Maisie Knew for months - putting it down and picking it up weeks later. The only reason I keep trying is because the copy I have is from 1954 and has a cover by Edward Gorey which endears me to it.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I just finished The House of Mirth. What shocked me most was how pleasurable a read this novel is -- of course, it's very tragic, but Wharton's satire is so sharp, and her dexterity with words so dazzling. I think it's a joy, even in its heartbreakingly delicate final chapters.

What's also particularly interesting to me (and I assume might be to others -- this is, after all a movie discussion board) is the way the Terence Davies's film version adheres so closely to the narrative (even whole passages of dialogue are lifted directly from the text) yet employs a radically different tone. Wharton's novel is MUCH funnier, much more sarcastic, and much more nimble than the film, which seems to be steeped in brittle tragedy almost from the get-go. And yet I think Davies's film is terrific and haunting. I view the justly celebrated Anderson performance in the same way -- she's not Lily Bart the way Wharton described her, but she's perfect for this darker interpretation of the story. (By that same token, the casting of Eric Stoltz, Dan Aykroyd, and, obviously, to avoid the novel's anti-Semitism, Anthony LaPaglia, don't particularly suggest the characters as written, but nonetheless seem to appropriately fit this modern take.)

Of course, I can understand why some fans of the novel might have scoffed at the Davies film. But I'm fascinated at the way a filmmaker can take the same characters and events (with the notable deletion of the character of Gerty Farish) and come up with something that feels so radically different than the original novel. (It seems that when most adaptations differ from their novels, it's first and foremost on a story level.) A very interesting novel/film comparison.
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Aaah Pen, you beat me! I was going to suggest we share our 2007 books! Well, here we go. I will admit that a lot (I mean a LOT) of the books I've read in the past couple of years were ones that came recommended from this very thread, so thanks to you all for adding new books!

My author of the year is easily Haruki Murakami: I have probably never had such a concentrated interest in reading any one author's books all at once in my life. His works are tremendous, though once I finish them all....then what? See you all in the new year!!

My list will be in chronological order, starting with books I finished in January onward:

- Kate Grenville, "The Secret River"
- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"
- Joan Didion, "The Year of Magical Thinking"
- Julian Rubinstein, "The Ballad of the Whiskey Robber"
- Gao Xinjian, "Village of Stone"
- Umberto Eco, "The Name of the Rose"
- Tony Judt, "Postwar"
- Jane Smiley, "Thirteen Ways of Looking at the Novel"
- Kate Atkinson, "Behind the Scenes at the Museum"
- Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons, "Watchmen"
- Orhan Pamuk, "My Name is Red"
- Stephen Greenblat, "Will in the World"
- Bruce Chatwell, "Utz"
- Peter Behrens, "The Law of Dreams"
- Elizabeth Knox, "The Vintner's Luck"
- Colm Toibin, "The Master"
- Ian McEwan, "On Chesil Beach"
- Neil Gaiman, "The Sandman" (Volumes 1 through 10, dispersed throughout the year)
- Nicola Barker, "Wide Open"
- Edward P. Jones, "The Known World"
- Kurt Vonnegut, "Cat's Cradle"
- Erik Larson, "The Devil in the White City"
- Orhan Pamuk, "The Black Book"
- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"
- Michael Chabon, "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay"
- Cormac McCarthy, "The Road"
- Michel Houellebecq, "The Elementary Particles"
- Dave Eggers, "A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius"
- William Jordan, "Europe in the High Middle Ages"
- Kiran Desai, "The Inheritance of Loss"
- Dennis Bock, "The Ash Garden"
- David McCullough, "1776"
- J.K. Rowling, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"
- A. Lloyd Moote, "The Great Plague: The Story of London's Most Deadly Year"
- Herta Muller, "The Land of Green Plums"
- Andrew Miller, "Ingenious Pain"
- Peter Ho Davies, "The Welsh Girl"
- Adam Zamoyski, "Moscow 1812: Napoleon's Fatal March"
- Michael Redhill, "Consolation"
- Moshin Hamid, "The Reluctant Fundamentalist"
- Julian Barnes, "Arthur & George"
- J.M. Coetzee, "Disgrace"
- Ann Patchett, "Bel Canto"
- Alistair McLeod, "No Great Mischief"
- Ian McEwan, "Amsterdam"
- Haruki Murakami, "South of the Border, West of the Sun"
- Lloyd Jones, "Mister Pip"
- Michael Frayn, "Headlong"
- William Trevor, "The Story of Lucy Gault"
- M.J. Hyland, "Carry Me Down"
- Per Petterson, "Out Stealing Horses"
- Nicola Barker, "Clear: A Transparent Novel"
- Indra Sinha, "Animal's People"
- Anne Enright, "The Gathering"
- Sarah Hall, "The Electric Michelangelo"
- Romesh Gunesekera, "Reef"
- Tahar Ben Jelloun, "This Blinding Absence of Light"
- Hisham Matar, "In the Country of Men"
- Haruki Murakami, "Sputnik Sweetheart"
- Colm Toibin, "The Blackwater Lightship"
- Haruki Murakami, "Dance Dance Dance"
- David Mitchell, "Ghostwritten"
- Kazuo Ishiguro, "The Remains of the Day"
- Vincent Lam, "Bloodletting & Miraculous Cures"
- Haruki Murakami, "Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World"
- Nikita Lalwani, "Gifted"
- Haruki Murakami, "The Elephant Vanishes"
- Haruki Murakami, '"Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman"
- Haruki Murakami, "Kafka on the Shore"
- Haruki Murakami, "After Dark"
- Cathy Day, "The Circus in Winter"
- Nicola Barker, "Darkmans"
- Haruki Murakami, "after the quake"
- Barack Obama, "The Audacity of Hope"
- Alice Munro, "The Love of a Good Woman"
- David Mitchell, "number9dream"
- Haruki Murakami, "Norwegian Wood"
abcinyvr
Graduate

Post by abcinyvr »

I was going to do a top 10 list, but I like Sonic's method better. I read 26 books this year, but 10 of them were re-reads (and most of those were HP). Seven are tagged as the best. Atonement clearly has 'parrallels' to The Go-Between - I'm being nice there. I followed the Wikipedia trail from those two books to The Parish Clerk by S. S. Blicher which I would never have heard of otherwise.

*Animal Farm - George Orwell
*The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time - Mark Haddon
The Diary of a Nobody - George Grossmith
The Diary of a Parish Clerk and Other Stories - Steen Steensen Blicher
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - J.D. Bauby
Funny Boy - Shyam Selvadurai
*The Go-Between - L.P. Hartley
*The Golden Spruce - John Valliant
*Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows - J.K. Rowling
*High Society - Ben Elton
Inconceivable - Ben Elton
*The Life And Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - Bill Bryson
The Outsider - Albert Camus
The Princess and Other Stories - D.H. Lawrence
Salt - Mark Kurlansky
Time Out: 1000 Books To Change Your Life
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

God, I only read a fraction of what the rest of you read.

I made a resolution to read 25 novels this year. I only made it up to 17 (18 if you count the one I read twice). Not all of them were novels, and a few I had read previously. Here's my reading list for 2007:

Atonement.....Ian McKewen (Re-read)
The Cave.....Robert Penn Warren
Disgrace.....J.M. Coetzee
Everything I'm Cracked Up to Be.....Jennifer Trynin (Memoir)
*Jesus' Son.....Denis Johnson (Short stories; re-read for the 2nd time)
The Kite Runner.....Khaled Hosseini (Read 9/10ths, then quit)
The Leopard.....Giuseppe di Lampedusa
*The Life of Pi.....Yann Martel (Read twice)
*Monnew....Ahmadou Kourouma
The Namesake.....Jumpa Lahiri
***No Laughing Matter.....Angus Wilson
*O Pioneers!.....Willa Cather
On Beauty.....Zadie Smith
The Plot Against America.....Phillip Roth
The Road.....Cormac McCarthy
The Savage Detectives.....Roberto Bolano (Still reading)
Talk Talk.....T. Corraghessan Boyle

* I liked nearly all of them to some degree, and with the exception of "The Kite Runner" even the very few I disliked had wonderful aspects to them. So rather than rate them, I put an asterisk by the five that had the greatest impact on me. Angus Wilson in particular took my breath away.

Edited By Sonic Youth on 1198848347
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “The Cam Dagg Memorial Theatre and Literature Forum”