Comedy: Everything Everywhere All At Once
Animation: Guillermo Del Toro’s Pinocchio
Documentary: Fire of Love
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Re: ACE Nominees

Post by danfrank »

If “most editing” wins the day, the editing for Elvis is almost as quickfire as EEAAO. At least the editing for the latter is meant to convey events happening in parallel, whereas Luhrman’s films seem to be hyperactive for hyperactivity’s sake. I would probably vote for Tár, though I need to rewatch. I’m guessing Top Gun will win, though EEAAO winning would likely signal broad support and a best picture win.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

I would argue that if these nominations had been released before the Oscars, the nominees here may have been different. The nominating ballots were only due on Monday. Do think it's a shame that Spielberg's two most recent, as well-edited as anything he's made, have both been overlooked for their editing.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

A miss for Babylon (over The Menu) would have signaled that this thing was indeed dead in the water.

EDIT:
So, we're looking at easy wins for Top Gun: Maverick and Everything Everywhere All At Once. Honestly, I'm not sure which one is going to win the Oscar. I could make the case for either one. I guess Everything Everywhere All At Once has more editing?
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

ACE Nominees

Post by Mister Tee »

The Fabelmans Oscar miss would have been foreshadowed here.

All five Oscar nominees show up over the two categories. My guess? -- had this come out pre-nominations, most of us would have disregarded the TAR signal in favor of All Quiet, and of course been mistaken.

Feature Film Drama nominees:
All Quiet on the Western Front
Elvis
TÁR
Top Gun: Maverick
The Woman King

Feature Film Comedy nominees:
The Banshees of Inisherin
Everything Everywhere All at Once
Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery
The Menu
Triangle of Sadness