Best Supporting Actor 1962

1927/28 through 1997

Ed Begley - Sweet Bird of Youth
9%
Victor Buono - What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?
23%
Telly Savalas - Birdman of Alcatraz
No votes
Omar Sharif - Lawrence of Arabia
36%
Terence Stamp - Billy Budd
32%

Total votes: 22

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: Best Supporting Actor 1962

Post by Big Magilla »

Agreed, but Iliked Arthur Kennedy even more in Adventures of a Young Man AKA Hemingway's Adventures of a Young Man.
dbensics
Graduate

Post by dbensics »

Other interesting supporting performances this year include Arthur Kennedy (Lawrence of Arabia), Lee Marvin (The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance) and Jason Robards (Long Day’s Journey Into Night).
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Man, I just can't keep up with these things. This'll have to be brief.

Telly Savalas makes a minor impression in Birdman -- though he clearly deserves the supporting nod more than Thelma "at this point they'll nominate me for anything" Ritter.

Victor Buono's casting was something of a stunt, but he's pretty good, though the material isn't there for a great performance.

Re: Omar Sharif...I'm probably filtering it through what became of his career -- he seemed like a stick in most of his later movies, and has for decades been more famous for playing bridge than for acting -- but I've never seen what others seem to in his Sheriff Ali. This was my first year watching the Oscars, and I wasn't privy to pre-show speculation, but if he was indeed the front-runner, I have to assume that was based on his film's prominence (much like Stanley Holloway two years on) and not acting chops.

I finally voted for Terence Stamp here, even though he's clearly the lead in Billy Budd, but seeing that poor Ed Begley's received no votes makes me wish I'd thrown one his way. I find it fairly close between the two (though Billy Budd is easily the better film), and don't mind that the academy chose to honor the veteran in the race.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

My best for 1962 are:

1. Terence Stamp in Billy Budd
2. Peter Sellers in Lolita
3. Melvyn Douglas in Billy Budd
4. Charles Laughton in Advise and Consent
5. Don Murray in Advise and Consent
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

In all his interviews - here in Italy - Omar Sharif makes it seem like his losing to Ed Begley was an upset of Judy Garland proportions, everyone, including himself, being so sure that he would get the prize. For once, it may be at least partially true - it's easy to imagine that Sharif was the favorite for the win, if only because of the movie he was nominated for.

And Ed Begley is a bit over-the-top as the corrupted politician in Sweet Bird of Youth - this may be Tennessee Williams, but his character, at least in the movie, doesn't amount to much more than a conventional villain.

Telly Savalas and Victor Buono had very good parts in their respective movies, and Buono is especially effective (and very well cast, even just for his unconventional looks) in a role which is more subtle than just a comic relief. His is a true supporting role, played with gusto, and certainly deserving of at least a few votes here.

Billy Budd is justly considered an excellent film version of a classic of literature - and not an easy one to make into a movie. Robert Ryan is, of course, unforgettable in it. As for Terence Stamp - it's clear that his angel-like good looks were perfect for his role, but back then he was very young and not very experienced, and at times it shows. It's a pity that this is till now Stamp's only nomination, but I can't vote for him for this reason and, most importantly, for the fact he's objectively the absolute lead in his movie.

He had charisma, definitely. But then charisma was Omar Sharif's main asset - he had plenty of it, and never better in evidence than in Lawrence of Arabia. And charisma, in cinema, is important, sometimes even more than talent. We all know that as an actor he was never a Marlon Brando, and even when directed again by David Lean he wasn't very impressive; but both his character and his performance - or let's say the way he was used - in this movie are memorable and, after some thinking, I've decided to give him my vote.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Terence Stamp with Omar Sharif right behind. The two charismatic new stars were the front-runners which is not to denigrate Ed Begley's win. The long-time character actor was at his best as a meanie in Sweet Bird of Youth. He just wasn't quite in the same league as Stamp's Billy Budd or Sharif's Sherif Ali in Lawrence of Arabia.

The other two were fill-ins. The two who should have been there, as Reza has already noted, were Charles Laughton in his last role in Advise and Consent and Phillip Alford whose Jem was every bit as good as Oscar nominated Mary Badham's Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

My picks for 1962:

1.Terence Stamp, Billy Budd
2. Ed Begley, Sweet Bird of Youth
3. Charles Laughton, Advise and Consent
4. Omar Sharif, Lawrence of Arabia
5. Phillip Alford, To Kill a Mockingbird

The 6th Spot: Burgess Meredith, Advise and Consent
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

I won't vote because I haven't seen Billy Budd but I've read amazing things about Stamp's performance.

From who I have seen, Victor Buono is alright as the overweight piano teacher who is taken advantage of (and, in a way, takes advantage of the sisters) in Baby Jane but I never understood the nomination.

Omar Sharif is excellent in Lawrence and fully deserves his nomination. One of our most underrated actors.

I wasn't impressed by anyone in Birdman of Alcatraz.

So if I had to vote it would be for the winner Ed Begley. There's something about Tennessee Williams' father characters that are so entirely enthralling and amazing. Ed Begley is spot-on as Boss Finley. Again, I have a massive liking for Williams' work so I may be biased.

My picks for 1962

1) Peter Sellers - Lolita
2) Ed Begley - Sweet Bird of Youth
3) Omar Sharif - Lawrence of Arabia
4) Rentaro Mikuni - Harakiri
5) Tetsuro Tamba - Harakiri

Harakiri was released stateside in '64 so taking those nominees spots would be Dean Stockwell and Jason Robards for Long Day's Journey into Night.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”