The Biggest Oscar Disappointments (Supporting Actress 70-89)

1927/28 through 1997

The Biggest Oscar Disappointments ( Supporting Actress 1970-1989)

Karen Black ( Five Easy Pieces)
7%
Ellen Burstyn ( The Last Picture Show)
No votes
Linda Blair ( The Exorcist)
No votes
Madeline Kahn ( Blazing Saddles)
4%
Ronee Blakley ( Nashville)
52%
Piper Laurie ( Carrie)
7%
Quinn Cummings ( The Goodbye Girl)
7%
Meryl Streep ( The Deer Hunter)
4%
Jane Alexander ( Kramer vs. Kramer)
No votes
Eva La Galliene ( Resurrection)
No votes
Melinda Dillon ( Absence of Malice)
4%
Teri Garr ( Tootsie)
No votes
Alfre Woodard ( Cross Creek)
4%
Meg Tilly ( Agnes of God)
4%
Anne Ramsey ( Throw Mama from the Train)
4%
Joan Cusack ( Working Girl)
4%

Total votes: 27

ksrymy
Adjunct

Re: The Biggest Oscar Disappointments (Supporting Actress 70

Post by ksrymy »

flipp525 wrote:And I think we're all more familiar than we'd all like to be with a person creating multiple personalities on a message board and having them "talk to each other".
I'm waiting patiently for mojoe to come out from the woodwork and call me a Debbie Downer now.
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

ITALIANO wrote:The saddest aspect isn't being crazy - we have all met crazy people in our lives, and some are even nice. The saddest aspect is being crazy for Quinn Cummings (and Bette Midler in For the Boys).
This, Marco? Amazing.

And I think we're all more familiar than we'd all like to be with a person creating multiple personalities on a message board and having them "talk to each other". Not really up for that again.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
reggiema24
Graduate

Post by reggiema24 »

Big Magilla wrote:I agree with Karen Black. Others listed here may have been better than teh winners, but so were some of teh otehr nominees.

Two performances I coudn't stand were Quinn Cummings, overly precocious in The Goodbye Girl and Anne RSamsey in Throw Momma from teh Train - that voice! Of course I felt bad when the woman died shortly after the Oscars and I learned her the voice was the result of her terminal throat cancer, but still it was an awful movie.
I am one of the few I think who genuinely like Quinn Cummings in TGG. Granted she wasn't as good as V. Redgrave in Julia but I do believe she would have won if Redgrave was in the Lead category. My vote however went to Meg Tilly. Brilliant and a performance that left me speechless
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

Not to mention that folks here are experienced, knowledgeable and strongly opinionated. Stuffing a ballot doesn't change the reality of the opinion here.

I've only been here a short while. But, the group appears to me to be an insular one of folks with high standards and the intellectual rigor and experience to back it up. It's not the People's Choice or the MTV Movie Awards. The Board is a few levels above the actual Oscars, in fact.

ksrymy wrote:OK, I'm coming out and saying this, this is absolutely ridiculous. Since you joined on November 29th, there have been three Ronee Blakley accounts, spelled and spaced differently, made. Funny enough, three or four votes have been added for her in the 1975 Supporting Actress poll. The same with Bette Midler's 'For the Boys' performance and Quinn Cummings' 'The Goodbye Girl' performance. And in sixteen minutes there have been created accounts for Meg, Peg, Leg, Keg, and Reg. Also, accounts for Blue Valentine, Winter's Bone, and Animal Kingdom have been made. All of these accounts, including the mojoe92 account equal twelve accounts which is the amount of votes that have been cast on your poll so far.

Please do not spam our board as we take the Academy Awards and film seriously.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I agree with Karen Black. Others listed here may have been better than teh winners, but so were some of teh otehr nominees.

Two performances I coudn't stand were Quinn Cummings, overly precocious in The Goodbye Girl and Anne RSamsey in Throw Momma from teh Train - that voice! Of course I felt bad when the woman died shortly after the Oscars and I learned her the voice was the result of her terminal throat cancer, but still it was an awful movie.
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

I apologize if that came off as rude. Had a rough few weeks.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let's not worry about what others want to post. If Mojoe wants to post polls of his personal favorites so people vote on them, he may. If you don't want to participate in the polling, then do not. I think we've beaten up on Mojoe enough for now.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Dien
Graduate

Post by Dien »

mojoe92 wrote:If you look at the first post on all my posts here for the Oscar Disappointments it say IMO these are who should have won that year. So the posts are the winners IMO and I am just wanting to see out of the one's I have chosen what you guys think. But I do believe Ali MacGraw was brilliant and was more deserving than Glenda Jackson... but again thats IMO
What you are asking is for us to choose our personal favorite out of your personal favorites? It seems very alienating. Also, the title of the thread is deceiving.
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

Damien wrote:I really don't think this topic fits a poll format. You've narrowed the choices down to your own preferences which don't necessarily reflect anyone else's. I mean, I can assure you no one here -- other than maybe MIA Mashari -- is disappointed that Ali McGraw lost, and to Glenda Jackson, no less. And you don't even have my number all-time number two pet peeve (next to than Judy Garland losing in 1954) as an option, Bruce Davison losing to Little Joey One note in GoodFelas. No wonder no one has voted in these polls. It's not an uninteresting topic, but it calls for a free flow of discussion, not a poll.
If you look at the first post on all my posts here for the Oscar Disappointments it say IMO these are who should have won that year. So the posts are the winners IMO and I am just wanting to see out of the one's I have chosen what you guys think. But I do believe Ali MacGraw was brilliant and was more deserving than Glenda Jackson... but again thats IMO
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

While it's always interesting to find someone with a different perspective on Oscar history, Damien is exactly right. These polls are too limiting, but they could be used to open dialogue on the subject. The problem is we already have a myriad of threads on these topics including our twice weekly year-by-year analysis of each race. Those threads are not closed to further discussion. invite the new poster, as well as remind everyone else, that we have an under-participation in the Oscar Shouldabeen threads that allow inclusion not only of those nominees whose performances were often better than the winning ones, but those who weren't even nominated who gave better performances.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I really don't think this topic fits a poll format. You've narrowed the choices down to your own preferences which don't necessarily reflect anyone else's. I mean, I can assure you no one here -- other than maybe MIA Mashari -- is disappointed that Ali McGraw lost, and to Glenda Jackson, no less. And you don't even have my number all-time number two pet peeve (next to than Judy Garland losing in 1954) as an option, Bruce Davison losing to Little Joey One note in GoodFelas. No wonder no one has voted in these polls. It's not an uninteresting topic, but it calls for a free flow of discussion, not a poll.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

Sonic Youth wrote:But ksrymy, what if three people coincidentally named Ronnee Blakley did join the site?

Hey, it could happen.
You make me giggle. Kind of like this --> :lol:
"Men get to be a mixture of the charming mannerisms of the women they have known." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

But ksrymy, what if three people coincidentally named Ronnee Blakley did join the site?

Hey, it could happen.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
ksrymy
Adjunct

Post by ksrymy »

mojoe92 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:It isn't very hard to verify whether an account is a duplicate and I have done so. All of your duplicate accounts have been banned and will be deleted. You are permitted one account and we very much appreciate your participation, but using multiple accounts to stuff the ballot box of polls is unethical and shameful. I will not tolerate such activity on my board. If you wish to participate in a singular capacity, I welcome you. If you wish to continue to make bogus accounts, you will be permanently banned on all accounts.
Please go ahead and verify. Because I don't appreciate the blame here. I am here for the same purpose as everyone else.
You are aware you're talking to the site's creator and administrator who probably noticed all these accounts come form the same IP address right?
mojoe92
Graduate

Post by mojoe92 »

OscarGuy wrote:It isn't very hard to verify whether an account is a duplicate and I have done so. All of your duplicate accounts have been banned and will be deleted. You are permitted one account and we very much appreciate your participation, but using multiple accounts to stuff the ballot box of polls is unethical and shameful. I will not tolerate such activity on my board. If you wish to participate in a singular capacity, I welcome you. If you wish to continue to make bogus accounts, you will be permanently banned on all accounts.
Please go ahead and verify. Because I don't appreciate the blame here. I am here for the same purpose as everyone else.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”