Broadcast Film Critics Assoc. (Critics' Choice)

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I just realized something...
• "I Thought I Lost You" (performed Miley Cyrus and John Travolta, written by Miley Cyrus and Jeffrey Steele) - Bolt

Please God, if you're out there, do not let Miley Cyrus become an Oscar nominee! :angry:
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

I don't love those kinds of movies. In fact, the only superhero movies I really, really like are the Batman movies, although I hated Batman & Robin and thought Batman Forever was extremely mediocre.

And if you're saying I LOVE fantasy/sci-fi/action movies, I pretty much only LOVED The Lord of the Rings trilogy, The Empire Strikes Back, and E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial. Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark were pretty good too. The sci-fi movies that I really love are Blade Runner, Children of Men, and 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's not like I'm a fanboy or anything, though.

I also seem to remember that I was one of the few people on the board who outright loathed the first Spider-Man movie.

I don't know, it's just a hunch. So far, it's defied all expectations and now seems poised to become the first superhero movie to be nominated for the big prize, as well as the first sequel to be nominated without having its predecessor nominated as well. I get the feeling that its buzz is too big to ignore now, kind of like Scorsese back in 2006. If any superhero movie is ever going to win Best Picture, it's this one.

Edited By MovieWes on 1228858854
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

MovieWes wrote:I don't know why, but I have a very strong feeling that The Dark Knight is going to go all the way.
You don't know why? Let me clear it up for you: you bloody LOVE those kind of movies.

That'll be $110; your next appointment is Friday at 3.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

We could also see a lovefest for the lovers of The Bridges of Madison County - Cint and Meryl, or the lovers of Flirting for Disaster - Jenkins and Brolin.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Predix:

Picture: Wall-E
Actor: Frank Langella
Actress: Anne Hathaway
Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger
Supporting Actress: Taraji P. Henson
Acting Ensemble: Rachel Getting Married
Director: Danny Boyle
Writer: Simon Beaufoy
Animated: Wall-E
Young Actor/Actress: Dev Patel
Action Movie: The Dark Knight
Comedy Movie: Vicky Cristina Barcelona
Foreign: Christmas Tale
Doco: Man On Wire
Song: "Down to Earth"
Score: Slumdog Millionaire

I am starting to fear that Wall-E will actually get a Best Picture nomination.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm only saying Meryl Streep because 'Doubt' has significantly more love than 'Rachel Getting Married'. And these people are old.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I think the only winner prediction I would change from Sabin is an award to Anne Hathaway instead of Meryl Streep. Otherwise, this looks like a list I might make...though, I haven't actually gone into looking at each one individually. At first glance, though...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

These douches will LOVE 'Slumdog Millionaire', although 'Benjamin Button' certainly received quite a bit of love.

Best Picture - Slumdog Millionaire
Best Actor - Sean Penn, Milk
Best Actress - Meryl Streep, Doubt
Best Supporting Actor - Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight
Best Supporting Actress - Viola Davis, Doubt
Best Director - David Fincher, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Best Acting Ensemble - Doubt
Best Screenplay - Simon Beaufoy, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Animated Feature - WALL*E
Best Young Actor/Actress - Dev Patel, Slumdog Millionaire
Best Made for TV Movie - John Adams
Best Action Movie - The Dark Knight
Best Foreign Film - Waltz with Bashir
Best Documentary - Man on Wire
Best Song - "Jaiho" ~ Slumdog Millionaire
Best Composer - A.R. Rahman, Sludmog Millionaire
"How's the despair?"
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

My predictions. I don't know why, but I have a very strong feeling that The Dark Knight is going to go all the way.

BEST PICTURE
The Dark Knight

BEST ACTOR
Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon

BEST ACTRESS
Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Viola Davis - Doubt

BEST ACTING ENSEMBLE
Milk

BEST DIRECTOR
Christopher Nolan - The Dark Knight

BEST WRITER (Original or Adapted Screenplay)
Dustin Lance Black - Milk

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE
Wall-E

BEST YOUNG ACTOR/ACTRESS (Under 21)
Dev Petal - Slumdog Millionaire

BEST ACTION MOVIE
The Dark Knight

BEST COMEDY MOVIE
Burn After Reading

BEST PICTURE MADE FOR TELEVISION
John Adams

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
Waltz With Bashir

BEST DOCUMENTARY FEATURE
Man On Wire

BEST SONG
"The Wrestler" (performed by Bruce Springsteen, written by Bruce Springsteen) - The Wrestler

BEST COMPOSER
Alexandre Desplat - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't get the shut-out of Revolutionary Road and of Kate Winslet's supporting nomination for The Reader when she is clearly the lead but I guess the BFCA want to start the ball rolling for her winning somethign for the atter rather than teh former.

I dont know if the Globes and the Oscars will follow suit, but looks like I was wrong about geezers dominating the lead actor race. Eastwood, Jenkins, Langella, dare I include Rourke, all nominated.

Odd that supporting actor, which had some strong contenders, is the only acting category not to recive six nminations. I guess there were too many tied for that sixth slot.

No Kristin Scott Thomas on the best actress list either. Looks like a race between the Devil Wears Prada stars - Hathaway and Streep, with the latter probably winning due her film's strong showing.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

2000 was one of the great years for leading actresses. It could have ostensibly gone to any number of ten any other year. That it went to Allen's claptrap and Binoche's Miramax-ed somnambulism is a shame.

Also, Kate Beckinsale is an unpatriotic little cunt.
"How's the despair?"
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

flipp525 wrote:I love that scene where Vera Farmiga calls Kate Beckinsale "an unpatriotic little cunt". That's one of the main reasons I want to see it.
:angry: :;): :)

p.s. sorry sabin.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

barrybrooks8 wrote:To think she stole that nomination from Bjork or Gillian Anderson overwhelms me. I'm going to take a Zoloft.
Let's not forget Juliette Binoche's totally unearned nomination for Chocolat as well. Bothers me still.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

I, too, hated the Contender. There's a scene where Bridges is eating prime rib (I think) that actually made me vomit in my mouth in the theater.
To think she stole that nomination from Bjork or Gillian Anderson overwhelms me. I'm going to take a Zoloft.
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I've heard that Lurie had some interference by Dreamworks in reediting 'The Contender' - but it probably still would have been a noxious pile of dogshit.
"How's the despair?"

Return to “81st and Other 9th Decade Discussions”