WGA strike

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

A group called UnitedHollywood has made a series of pro-wga youtube videos called "speechless." Here's a really funny one with Holly Hunter.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DnURqEkAXk8
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Strikes are always possible. They may be thinking it's a possibility right now because of how bullish the AMPTP is being. However, all the stories I've read say that the DGA is very unlikely to strike as they may start negotiating in December, thus cutting into the bargaining power of the WGA. Of course, realizing this, the WGA has requested the DGA hold off on its early negotiations until a deal can be made between WGA and AMPTP.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Zahveed wrote:I've heard of a looming strike for both actors and directors guilds next year. I haven't read any articles saying that it will happen, but reporters have been speculating ever since the writer's strike was just at the horizon.
Exactly. Alan Rickman said "if", so I'm going to assume that he is aware that it is definitely a possibility. I've heard no definites as of late.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I've heard of a looming strike for both actors and directors guilds next year. I haven't read any articles saying that it will happen, but reporters have been speculating ever since the writer's strike was just at the horizon.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

OscarGuy wrote:I haven't heard anything about a SAG strike, but if it happens, it would be next year when their contract expires.

You may have been hearing about SAG members who refuse to cross picket lines and often join them when not contracted to work...but I don't know of anything else as yet.
I heard one particular interview in which Alan Rickman sympathized with the WGA not only because of the problems they're facing, but also because he will be in their place "if we have to do the same." I might have heard wrong, or maybe it's just hoe-hum right now.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I haven't heard anything about a SAG strike, but if it happens, it would be next year when their contract expires.

You may have been hearing about SAG members who refuse to cross picket lines and often join them when not contracted to work...but I don't know of anything else as yet.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

Akash wrote:I support all strikes. The one in France and the writers one here in the U.S. It's not like workers everywhere have a lot of power outside strike and collective action. I say good for the WGA!
Absolutely. I've read many articles with people not involved, but affected (actors, hosts, etc.) who have been saying that the entire jip that the WGA members have been given (or should I say, not given) is ridiculous.

I will link to some of those articles as soon as I can.

And speaking of strikes, what's this I hear about a possible SAG strike?
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

If this is true, it could lead to a fairly quick resolution of the strike.

US News
A 'plan B' in the WGA strike?

By M&C US News Dec 3, 2007, 18:17 GMT
Industry trade Below the Line reports they received credible information that the WGA may have a “Plan B” in the works, "if the AMPTP comes back tomorrow with an anemic, dead-in-the-water counteroffer."

Mark London Williams reports that the Guild "may begin the process of negotiating with each of the individual production companies and studios separately. Apparently, there is nothing requiring that they only negotiate with the AMPTP en toto."

Below the Line cites a precedent, that IA locals in the 70’s struck similar deals with studios, which garnered higher wages all around.

Williams writes that if this happens, "the remaining pressure on the holdouts — to get their people back to work — will be enormous."

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/usa...._strike
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

I support all strikes. The one in France and the writers one here in the U.S. It's not like workers everywhere have a lot of power outside strike and collective action. I say good for the WGA!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Damien or someone else point out that Condon was on the WGA negotiations committee? I could have sworn I read that somewhere. If that's true, then Greg's question is absolutely on-topic. Though, it's possible Condon is not permitted to discuss ongoing negotiations, so Damien might not know.
Wesley Lovell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

cam, it was a perfectly reasonable question. Your reaction to it, on the other hand was unreasonable, harsh and a bit rude.

I'm with Sonic in the other thread -- everyone needs to take a step back and just chill out a little. Let's all revisit the UAADB Family Dynamic thread and give our many thanks for having this place. That's my Tiny Tim moment for the month.

Edited By flipp525 on 1195602478
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Greg wrote:So, Damien, has your friend Bill condon given you any guesses over how long the strike will last.
What a stupid question. How would Bill Condon know? And, moreover, why should Damien ask him? I am sure that friends have other things to talk about.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

So, Damien, has your friend Bill condon given you any guesses over how long the strike will last.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

From the Hollywood Reporter:

Politicians support strikers at NBC, CBS
By Kimberly Nordyke and Leslie Simmons

Nov 17, 2007

Politics played the lead role Friday at NBC and CBS in Los Angeles as the strike entered Day 12.

At NBC Studios in Burbank, Democratic presidential hopeful John Edwards rallied with striking scribes, shouting "Be strong! Be strong!" after giving them a pep talk via bullhorn.

Edwards' motorcade pulled up to NBC in the mid-afternoon to a mob of 700 striking writers, their supporters and the media. Flanked by a flood of cameramen, Edwards worked the crowd, smiling and shaking hands before jumping up on a long concrete planter to address the crowd.

"I'm here to support you and to fight for justice and fairness," Edwards yelled into a bullhorn to a sea of strikers wearing mostly red WGA shirts. "What you represent and stand for is to make sure everybody in America gets a fair chance."

Cheers erupted when Edwards said America needs unions so that "these big conglomerates don't take over the world.

"I promise to be with you in this march and I will be with you everyday when I'm president," he added before dropping the bullhorn and walking the line.

As he passed by, scribes yelled "Thank you man!" and "Thank you for being with us."
Many walking the picket line were energized by Edwards appearance, noting that he has legitimized their crusade for a share of the Internet residual pie.

"It's a big deal," said "Real Time with Bill Maher" scribe Jon Schmock. "The WGA is an American union that makes an American product. We can't be outsourced."

California Sen. Ron Calderon and several other politicians joined "Dreamgirls" writer-director Bill Condon, "Family Guy" showrunner David A. Goodman and "Curb Your Enthusiasm's" Jeff Garlin Friday on the picket line at CBS Television City, where the legislators called for a quick resolution to the strike.

After being introduced by Condon, Calderon (D-Montebello) and the others all expressed their support for and "solidarity" with the writers and called upon the studios and networks to get back to the negotiating table.

"The pigs get fed, but the hogs get slaughtered," Calderon said to applause outside Television City in Los Angeles. Calderon was likening the networks and studios to the "hogs" in the expression, which generally serves as a cautionary warning to those who take more than their fair share.

In an interview, Calderon said that "what the writers are asking for is reasonable." He also argued that the strike is impacting the bottom line of more than just the entertainment industry.

"It's affecting all ancillary businesses in the local economy, and it's also affecting the statewide economy," he said. "With all the revenue that we're losing because of this, it will be that much tougher (for the government) to continue funding (various programs and initiatives)."

Calderon also got laughs from the picketers when he said that "my staff wanted to write me a speech, but I said, 'No, we're on strike!' "

Also among the politicians was Assemblymember Fiona Ma, who said she's a SAG member and pointed out that the actors have their own negotiations coming up. SAG's contract with the studios expires June 30, and it's expected that negotiations on a new pact will hinge on issues similar to those at the center of the writers guild talks.

City Councilmember Bill Rosendahl and Assemblymember Mike Davis addressed a specific group of writers in their remarks.

"We need to protect the middle-class writers because they are the backbone of this industry," Rosendahl said. "Profit is up (in the entertainment industry), and that needs to be shared with the people who create the product."

On Thursday, the group of politicians sent AMPTP president Nick Counter a letter urging the organization "in the strongest possible terms to return to the negotiating table with the Writers Guild of America to address their fair and reasonable contract demands." The letter also said the AMPTP "has been lacking in good faith to resolve outstanding issues" and that the strike is having a "detrimental impact on the state's economy," particularly Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, Condon and Goodman, both members of the WGA's negotiating committee, remarked in a joint interview Friday outside CBS on the support that the writers have gotten from other guilds and unions.

"The residuals we get, they get too, so this is affecting them as well," Goodman said.

Added Condon: "The sense of unity is growing instead of diminishing."
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Negotiations are set to resume on Nov. 26.

Return to “Broadcast Media”