Oscar Wish List - the nominations you want to see

1998 through 2007
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

rolotomasi99 wrote:reading your posts just make me so sad. i still feel bad for "casper." all he wanted was for you to share in his love of a rat who can cook. :(
Maybe browsing through flipp's MySpace page will cheer you up. You can find him on the UAADB MySpace site at: http://groups.myspace.com/uaadb
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Steph2 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:you are a very bitter person. what the hell happened to you during your childhood to make you so heartless?

Not all of us had horrible things happen in our past, Mr. TMI :p

reading your posts just make me so sad. i still feel bad for "casper." all he wanted was for you to share in his love of a rat who can cook. :(

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1200597748
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

BEST PICTURE:
Gone Baby Gone
Sweeney Todd
We Own The Night
Zodiac

BEST DIRECTOR:
Tim Burton, Sweeney Todd
David Fincher, Zodiac

BEST ACTOR:
Casey Affleck, Gone Baby Gone
Johnny Depp, Sweeney Todd
Joaquin Phoenix, We Own The Night

BEST ACTRESS:
Amy Adams, Enchanted
Helena Bonham Carter, Sweeney Todd
Ashley Judd, Bug

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:
Robert Downey Jr., Zodiac
Robert Duvall, We Own The Night
Armin Mueller-Stahl, Eastern Promises

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:
Amy Madigan, Gone Baby Gone
Amy Ryan, Gone Baby Gone
Imelda Staunton, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY:
We Own The Night

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY:
Gone Baby Gone
Zodiac

Edited By anonymous on 1200480999
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Sabin wrote:Best Actor is an oddly weak lineup this year with Ryan Gosling's career worst performance in 'Lars'

God, I'm so glad someone agrees with me. He's a terrific actor (and I was happy with his nomination last year) and I know he's the cool thing right now, but my god, let's not reward him for crap like Lars. This is like nominating Johnny Depp for Finding Neverland after all the wonderful non-nominated performances he's given.

And I agree with your sentiments on Score Sabin. So often they waste the category to fatten the Oscar tally of a Best Picture nominee (Gladiator, The English Patient, Braveheart, The Hours) or on musicals that don't deserve it (Mulan, The Prince of Egypt) or on just plain crap (too many to mention). The last year I can think of with a fairly satisfying roster of Score nominees was 1999 where you had two decent outings (Angela's Ashes, The Red Violin) and three great ones (American Beauty, The Cider House Rules, The Talented Mr. Ripley). I would have voted for Portman's lovely score -- the best thing about The Cider House Rules -- but any of the three great ones would have been terrific choices.

Edited By Akash on 1200477707
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Catherine Keener hanging on for my favourite performance of hers will make me happy. Of the less likely contenders, Sam Riley and Sam Morton would be wonderful to see.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

My biggest wish? Music. So often the nominees for Best Score make me pause to consider my mortality. This year we need to see 'The Assassination of Jesse James' and 'There Will Be Blood' nominated. I would like very much to see 'Into the Wild' and 'Ratatouille' nominated and (big longshots) the scores from '3:10 to Yuma' and 'Rocket Science' would please me very much. I haven't heard the score from 'Atonement' but by all accounts it's amazing. Mostly, Nick Cave & Johnny Greenwood.

Because...
Best Actor is an oddly weak lineup this year with Ryan Gosling's career worst performance in 'Lars' and Mortenson's admirable but hardly exemplary Russian goof in 'Eastern Promises', looking more and more solid (I haven't seen Depp's performance, and while I like Hirsch quite a bit, I do think he's a little overrated at this point)...I'd like a clean slate of some sort and the Academy pick Day-Lewis and Clooney (sure, why not?) along with Gordon Pinsent for 'Away from Her', Tommy Lee Jones for 'In the Valley of Elah', and Josh Brolin for 'No Country for Old Men'. Prognosticators shake their heads. Three very deserving actors take the spots they so richly deserve.

Because...
Best Actress has only four contenders this year and a big, fat WTF...I'd like to see Romanian Broad for '4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days' nominated. I haven't seen Romanian Broad or her respective movie with Other Romanian Broad, but I think that Romanian cinema is in something of a renaissance and by nominating Romanian Broad, we are given Romanian cinema the respect it so newly deserves. (Is Romanian Broad the one having the abortion or the one getting Other Romanian Broad an abortion?)

Because...
Best Supporting Actor is locked up like it never has been perhaps since 1995 saw Jackson, Landau, Palmentari, Scofield & Sinise (with Paul Scofield wisely in for John Turturro effective if eye-wateringly grating Jew, and Palmentari in for Kevin Bacon in 'The River Wild' - what?), I don't want to mess with success too much. I will say that I didn't care for Tom Wilkinson's muttering breakdown. He's not bad but it's an impersonal stunt. That being said, it's worlds better than every performance he's given since 'In the Bedroom'. I would love to see Tommy Lee Jones double-nodded this year instead of frozen out, but not at the expense of Casey Affleck or Philip Seymour Hoffman who gave the kind of supporting performance he excels at...leaving you wanting more, not wanting him to shut the hell up ('Almost Famous'' Lester Bangs over Truman Capote any day).

...so my wish list sees Casey Affleck bumped to lead (which I'm almost fearful to wish for lest see him shut out completely) to compete with George Clooney, Daniel Day-Lewis, Tommy Lee Jones, and Gordon Pinsent. And my supporting wish list is Javier Bardem, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Hal Holbrook, Tommy Lee Jones...and Steve Zahn for 'Rescue Dawn'.

I'm fine with the Best Supporting Actress lineup. I've yet to see Saiorse Ronan and while I'm not terribly impressed with Ruby Dee's glorified one scene smackdown, I would take Blanchett, Keener, Ryan, and Swinton over anybody last year.

And Andrew Dominik for Best Director would float my boat.
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Pinsent in Lead Actor.

Nominations for all three actors in Into the Wild.

Brolin and Jones to join Bardem in Supporting Actor.

Macdonald in Supporting Actress.

Ratatouille in Best Picture

Edited By Akash on 1200477078
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:you are a very bitter person. what the hell happened to you during your childhood to make you so heartless?

Not all of us had horrible things happen in our past, Mr. TMI :p
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

In Steph's defense, I don't think merely disliking films made for or about children makes her heartless. And I say this as someone who despises all things Harry Potter related, but also enjoys some animated films (including anime and a few Pixar films). And I think her issues with Miyazaki's personality and opinions aren't entirely without merit.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Steph2 wrote:
rolotomasi99 wrote:except then we could not say oscar winning director hayao miyazaki. :(

Oh I'm totally fine with that! He's a hateful, bitter man and his films are as silly and guilty of belonging to the Cult of the Child (childhood is wonderful and innocent!) as anything created by Disney.
you are a very bitter person. what the hell happened to you during your childhood to make you so heartless? are there any children's movies you like? i would suggest alfonso cuaron's A LITTLE PRINCESS, a truly beautiful and moving film, but i do not think even that could melt your cold heart.

sorry to unleash on you, but the venom you spew is just so disturbing. maybe you are just joking and are the sunniest, sweetest person ever; but it just seems unnatural to hate all movies for children no matter how beautifully made.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

rolotomasi99 wrote:except then we could not say oscar winning director hayao miyazaki. :(
Oh I'm totally fine with that! He's a hateful, bitter man and his films are as silly and guilty of belonging to the Cult of the Child (childhood is wonderful and innocent!) as anything created by Disney.

Pen, even though I liked Swank in Boys Don't Cry, I have no problem with Kate Winslet winning instead for her superior performance in Eternal Sunshine.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Borrowing from Steph: An announcement that Hilary Swank's Oscars have been snatched mercilessly from her claws and given to the proper recipients, Julianne Moore and Kate Winslet.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Steph2 wrote:An announcement that the Animated Film category has been scrapped. And all the Oscars for the previous Animated Film winners have been rescinded.
yes!

except then we could not say oscar winning director hayao miyazaki. :(
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

ACTOR:
Gordon Pinsent

DIRECTOR:
Sarah Polley

An announcement that the Animated Film category has been scrapped. And all the Oscars for the previous Animated Film winners have been rescinded.
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

Actress
Laura Linney - The Savages

Score
Ratatouille

Cinematography/Art Direction/Original Screenplay
The Darjeeling Limited

Sound
Sunshine

Return to “The 8th Decade”