Cinematography

1998 through 2007
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I haven't had a chance to see There Will Be Blood, but assuming it lives up to its reputation, this is truly an astonishingly good list; and the fact that not only were they not able to find room for Sweeney Todd, but also couldn't find room for the even better Sunshine, Black Book, I'm Not There, and Lust, Caution.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Jim20
Temp

Post by Jim20 »

I am in complete agreement with the rest of you. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly I have yet to see, but knowing Kaminski's tract-record, the film was in secure hands. Any one of these nominees could walk away withe ASC, but here's hoping it's a race between Deakins (Assassination of Jesse James) and Elswit (There Will Be Blood) with Deakins winning his third ASC and his first Oscar.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

This is an almost shockingly good list.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

atomicage wrote:I'm glad to see this list, mostly because I was pushing for a Deakins double-nom. But I can certainly see Sweeney popping into one of the two spots.

I'm with Zahveed on the Jesse James pride.

I hope not. I am hoping for a shut-out of Sweeney Todd, and then I hope to erase it from my memory. This is my opinion only ; I respect yours.

Edited By cam on 1199745278
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

If Sweeney pops in (and you're right atomicage, it most likely will) I hope it bumps out Atonement. Let this be the year of Deakins!
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

I'm glad to see this list, mostly because I was pushing for a Deakins double-nom. But I can certainly see Sweeney popping into one of the two spots.

I'm with Zahveed on the Jesse James pride.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

cam wrote:No Sweeney Todd again...
Thanks for pointing that out Cam. I'd love to see this film shut out at the major categories at Oscar. If only to make people like Tom O'Neil cry.

And this lineup is terrific!
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Yeah, that's about right.
"How's the despair?"
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Looks like a good list. I'm glad TAOJJ is finally getting some more recognition.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

this could end up being our five oscar nominees right here. all but NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN seem like locks to me. deakins may be able to pull off a double-nom, but his work in the coen film seems the most vulnerable of these five. SWEENEY TODD could sweep in to replace it.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1199737337
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

The American Society Of Cinematographers nominations:

The Assassination of Jesse James...(Roger Deakins)
Atonement ( Seamus McGarvey)
The Diving Bell and The Butterfl( Janeusz Kaminski)
No Country For Old Men( Roger Deakins, again)
There Will Be Blood ( Robert Elswit)

No Sweeney Todd again...

Return to “The 8th Decade”