F/X Magnificent Seven - one big surprise awol

1998 through 2007
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Transformers had revolutionary orgasmic amazing fx...
:cool:
Hollywood Z
Temp

Post by Hollywood Z »

Wow, so Spider-Man 3 is completely out this year. Bourne Ultimatum probably sneaked in due to it being one of the best received summer films and how it helped to enhance the realism. Had a sneaky suspicion it would make it. Can't say I'm surprised about I Am Legend getting a precursor, but can say that I am surprised about Evan Almighty making the cut over, say, Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix. Golden Compass is already out as far as I'm concerned; lukewarm reviews and modest box office, it's pretty much just a "honor to be a finalist" nominee. Which leads me to believe that Pirates will make the cut, but also further leading me to believe that Transformers has this award in the bag. Which leaves only 300 as my dark horse candidate for a nomination here. Would stand to reason as I'm already predicting Sound Editing and Make-Up nominations. We'll see when the make-up finalists come out if I am close.
"You are what you love, not what loves you." - Nicholas Cage; Adaptation
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

what an unimpressive list
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Well, and The Bourne Ultimatum is surprising a bit.
And kill me, but i m so glad Spiderman didn't make it. :)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Well, at least I was right that they wouldn't give animated films the time of day...though, I don't know how Evan Almighty made it in. I'd say look at who the short-listed names for that film are and you may see some people who are long-time members of the VFX industry or that people really like...or a way to shoe-horn their choices so that only the ones they think deserve recognition get in.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Greg wrote:
The Original BJ wrote:Not only will it be more exciting to visit the bathroom than watch which film wins the trophy, but I'd rather sit in the bathroom alone for the combined running times of the nominees. . .

Careful, you might be giving people the wrong impression of you.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Oh good lord.

Magilla is right. Every thread is devolving into discussions of ONE topic.

I had no intention whatsoever to suggest anything other than that I'd rather be someplace totally boring by myself than subject myself to any of the likely nominees again. Please don't read anything else into it.

I haven't said anything about people's sex talk because it's not really my place and I think people should be able to post what they want; but if I have to defend a totally non-suggestive post of mine like this, then I have a problem.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Original BJ wrote:Not only will it be more exciting to visit the bathroom than watch which film wins the trophy, but I'd rather sit in the bathroom alone for the combined running times of the nominees. . .
Careful, you might be giving people the wrong impression of you.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

I've decided to call Visual Effects the Bathroom Break Category of '07.

Not only will it be more exciting to visit the bathroom than watch which film wins the trophy, but I'd rather sit in the bathroom alone for the combined running times of the nominees than actually sit through any of the nominated films again. Ever.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

i found these on awardsdaily. i keep thinking they cannot possibly be right since they exclude SPIDER-MAN 3. as much as i enjoyed all the SPIDER-MAN movies, i always thought the f/x were a little shaky. however, to think EVAN ALMIGHTY had more impressive f/x is just ridiculous. i think the f/x geeks carry some strange grudges. how else can you explain the other great wtf moment from 2005: REVENGE OF THE SITH being snubbed for THE LION, THE WITCH, AND THE WARDROBE.

with this new list, i would have to change my predix to:
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN 3
TRANSFORMERS
however, I AM LEGEND could easily make it in. the empty n.y.c. shots were impressive, but the zombies were ridiculously bad. i think the geeks just have a crush on will smith, though, since they also nominated the unimpressive I, ROBOT.

“The Bourne Ultimatum”
“Evan Almighty”
“The Golden Compass”
“I Am Legend”
“Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End”
“300”
“Transformers”
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow

Return to “The 8th Decade”