Online Film Critics Society Nominations

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

We don't count festival launches, but I did confirm with the Academy list and it does show The Lives of Others as a 2006 release, which means we have two films that would be ineligible. I'll let the GC and the vote-counters know...we flubbed this one up (and I specifically asked about 4 Months because I thought it was a 2008 release, but got a 2007 qualifying run as well).
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

It also played the Telluride Film Festival in Colorado in September 2006.

History books will mark it as a 2006 film, but I see nothing wrong with counting it (and INLAND EMPIRE, which played a few more US festivals and had a week in New York, but was unavailable even by screener tape to critics and audiences in the rest of the country) as 2007 releases for purposes of awards, at least if you're not an awarding body that counted it as 2006 last year.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

OscarGuy wrote:The Lives of Others did win the Oscar in 2006, but it never released stateside that year. It released in the US in 2007, thus making it a 2007 release for the purposes of our awards...
The Lives of Others received a one-week Academy qualifying run in Los Angeles in 2006. That's when I saw it. If you're going by US release dates, then it's DEFINITELY a 2006 film.

But, if, say, you're going by New York release dates (as the New York Film Critics obviously would), then it's a 2007 film, and indeed, many critics (and most people) didn't see the film until 2007.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Penelope wrote:
Eric wrote:
Sabin wrote:Jennifer Garner gave the single worst performance in 'Juno'.

No, that would be Michael Cera.

No, that would be Ellen Page.

No, that would be Emily Perkins.

I could probably go on with this for awhile, though even I'd draw the line once we got to J.K. Simmons and Allison Janney.

Edited By Eric on 1199368460
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

YAY for Jennifer Garner!!!
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Akash wrote:Eric, I was confused by your comment. Are you saying MacDonald has been getting too much acclaim for the film? Because other than this group, I haven't really heard anyone mention her for anything. I loved her performance and I was under the impression that hers was overshadowed by Bardem, Jones and sometimes Brolin whenever acting praises were doled out.

Yes. I'm actually in the minoritarian position of thinking she actually didn't nail her final scene either, but not to the film's detriment.

I guess I can't say she's getting widespread acclaim to the Bardem extent, but she is consistently mentioned by the types of people who are apt to spread their love for films across the board. (As someone whose favorite performances of the year as often as not come from pretty lousy films overall, I've never really understood why it seems people automatically equate great films with great acting.)

As someone who is pretty solidly in favor of NCfOM, I'm not in MacDonald's camp. The Coens said they were indebted to Bresson with this film, and most Bressonian performances aren't exactly what one would single out and cite outside of their films.

Edited By Eric on 1199368672
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Eric wrote:

No, that would be Ellen Page.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The Lives of Others did win the Oscar in 2006, but it never released stateside that year. It released in the US in 2007, thus making it a 2007 release for the purposes of our awards...
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Wow. I didn't vote. I didn't finish my ballot in time. I must say I'm rather impressed with the nomination. I haven't seen 'Atonement' and 'Juno' is rather slight, but a hefty showing for 'Zodiac' makes me pleased. I believe the Board knows my preferences for the Best Pictures of the year. The only quibbles/comments?

* Not totally on board the Viggo train.

* Casey Affleck had no supporting roles this year. That's all there is to it; however, while there are several performances I prefer that will not be nominated for Best Supporting Actor (among them Sam Rockwell & Paul Schneider for 'The Assassination of Jesse James', Michael Cera for 'Juno', Robert Downey Jr, for 'Zodiac'), the locked-in Supporting lineup of Affleck, Bardem, Halbrook, Hoffman, and Wilkinson must be the strongest in over a decade. I'm not a big fan of Wilkinson's impersonal superficial hamming in 'Michael Clayton', but ye Gods! Last year, I favored Mark Wahlburg for a performance that was at best totally amusing (and overshadowed by the work of Alec Baldwin in the same film); the year prior, Paul Giamatti for merely a competently Giamatti-esque performance; and before that, a toss-up between Thomas Haden Church's smarmy line readings and Morgan Freeman's finest voice over performance in years. This year?

* Jennifer Garner gave the single worst performance in 'Juno'. She's barely believable as a person. I don't understand the hype for Kelly MacDonald (especially considering the sizable crush I had on her following 'Trainspotting' and her underrated beautiful work in 'Gosford Park'), but Garner's nomination is inexcusable, especially in the wake of Catherine Keener's beautiful performance in 'Into the Wild'. I would also cite Patricia Clarkson, Kelli Garner, and Emily Mortimer as superior in the mezzo mezzo 'Lars and the Real Girl', and (if you can call her supporting) Anna Kendrick from 'Rocket Science'.

* 'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead' is an exercise in Screenwriting II horseshit.

* 'The Assassination of Jesse James' is a long, long film and I understand why some just flat out do not care for it, but the editing creates such a hypnotic rhythm. The screenplay itself is rather unexceptional except for the astonishing epilogue, but it's a beautifully edited movie that meshes perfectly with the score.

* If 'The Lives of Others' is a 2006 release, it's in my top three films of the year. If it's a 2007 release, then I have no idea where to put this film and it confirms 2007 as one of the best years of our time.
"How's the despair?"
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Aren't they married? Don't you have to be unwed to be a baby mama? You're right though, she's a terrible actor.

Eric, I was confused by your comment. Are you saying MacDonald has been getting too much acclaim for the film? Because other than this group, I haven't really heard anyone mention her for anything. I loved her performance and I was under the impression that hers was overshadowed by Bardem, Jones and sometimes Brolin whenever acting praises were doled out.

Edited By Akash on 1199342991
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Ugh. Garner is a lousy actress. She's not even convincing as Ben Affleck's baby mama.
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Eric wrote:I even prefer Jennifer Garner to Kelly MacDonald. I'm not sure what's going on with the acclaim she's been getting other than being the only woman in the whole movie that's not either fat or old.
Didn't see Garner's film yet, but I mostly agree about MacDonald. I liked her final scene a lot--the only thing she did in the movie that approaches Oscar-worthiness--but for the rest of the movie she's just competent. I'm pretty forgiving of bad Southern accents--because they're so common that I can't be bothered to get worked up about it--so I won't fault her for that; But I really didn't like the way she said "Llewelllllllynnnnn".
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Akash wrote:And actually big props to the OFCS for recognizing Kelly MacDonald -- probably the only person I'd like to see win over Amy Ryan.
I even prefer Jennifer Garner to Kelly MacDonald. I'm not sure what's going on with the acclaim she's been getting other than being the only woman in the whole movie that's not either fat or old.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

cam wrote:We had The Departed last year: my bet is that they go for a "milder" film, Juno, or maybe There Will Be Blood.
Do you mean for a nomination or to actually win Best Picture? Because there's no way Juno is winning. It probably won't even be nominated for Director.

Return to “The 8th Decade”