Screen Actors Guild Nominations

1998 through 2007
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

flipp525 wrote:
jack wrote:Santa's on his way, people. Lets not talk of sucking dick.

What if that's what I asked for for Christmas, though?
Well then, it's Christmas every day for you isn't it Flipp?
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Akash wrote:
mashari wrote:Well my "glamour girl/hot babe" theory ran outta steam last year with Helen, but you can't tell me that sexiness isn't a factor when it comes to Best Actress these days. I mean really, who wants to vote every year for a girl you wouldn't wanna fuck?

And even Sabin wanted to fuck Helen last year.
Dead.
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

mashari wrote:Well my "glamour girl/hot babe" theory ran outta steam last year with Helen, but you can't tell me that sexiness isn't a factor when it comes to Best Actress these days. I mean really, who wants to vote every year for a girl you wouldn't wanna fuck?
And even Sabin wanted to fuck Helen last year.
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

Damien wrote:
mashari wrote:With that said, I have the strange feeling a last minute surge of support for Angelina Jolie may help take down critic fave Julie Christie. Angelina not only has the advantage of having her film already out on DVD(which helps explain her SAG nod),

This comment makes no sense. Julie's movie is also out on DVD and in any case Academy members will be getting screeners of all potential nominees and a lot who have no chance at all.

No offense Mashari but every year you try to make a case for some "glamour girl" and it doesn't pan out.

I do hope you're right about Cotillard thoughbut if you go to Awards Daily most of the people there seem to take it as a particular affront whenever La Jambon loses an award.
None takes, Damien and good to hear from you again. Well my "glamour girl/hot babe" theory ran outta steam last year with Helen, but you can't tell me that sexiness isn't a factor when it comes to Best Actress these days. I mean really, who wants to vote every year for a girl you wouldn't wanna fuck?
"The only thing I regret about my past is the length of it. If I had to live my life again, I'd make the same mistakes... only sooner."--Tallulah Bankhead
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

flipp525 wrote:I can't wait to see where the goal post lands when Ryan actually wins the Oscar.

Oh that's easy. There's no way she's winning a second Oscar in the future!

Damien, hilarious!

Edited By Akash on 1198609924
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

What do you think the elves do during the off-season?
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

mashari wrote:With that said, I have the strange feeling a last minute surge of support for Angelina Jolie may help take down critic fave Julie Christie. Angelina not only has the advantage of having her film already out on DVD(which helps explain her SAG nod),
This comment makes no sense. Julie's movie is also out on DVD and in any case Academy members will be getting screeners of all potential nominees and a lot who have no chance at all.

No offense Mashari but every year you try to make a case for some "glamour girl" and it doesn't pan out.

I do hope you're right about Cotillard thoughbut if you go to Awards Daily most of the people there seem to take it as a particular affront whenever La Jambon loses an award.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I was privately warned this Christmas Day by Oscar Guy, and told it would be public . I gather Zahveed was too. I wonder if those like original BJ, sonic youth, and flipp , who have publicly noted his thin skin, were was well. Or does he pick certain people? It will become obvious.
Likely he will not publish this, as only certain things become public, it appears.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Flipp, even if she doesn't win, that doesn't mean any of us were "wrong." The whole point myself (and others, and I think you too) were trying to make is that right now in the first phase of the Oscar race (before the Globes and the Guilds have their say) she is the front-runner. That's all.

Cam, I was obviously kidding about sucking dick. Ridiculous statements often require ridiculous responses.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

What if that's what I asked for for Christmas, though?

And, yes, Penelope and Akash correctly interpreted my post re: Amy Ryan. I can't wait to see where the goal post lands when Ryan actually wins the Oscar.

Edited By flipp525 on 1198554356
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Thank you, Jonathan. Some people get over-excited, don't they?
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

Santa's on his way, people. Lets not talk of sucking dick.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Akash wrote:I think what he clearly means is that Amy Ryan has sucked a lot of dick to get where she is.
..Or it COULD mean exactly what he said: she has worked hard without recogntion and has earned it. Not *everyone* in the biz "sucks dick" to get where they are.
mashari
Temp

Post by mashari »

OscarGuy wrote:But is it really? Until you mentioned her working on the stage, I had no idea. Really, the media doesn't seem to give two licks about her. She's earned very little press and while those who have worked in theatre may find that irresistable, there's a large part of the Academy that doesn't care if you've been on the stage and probably hadn't even heard of her until Gone Baby Gone.

It's the next film on my roster for today. So, I'll know more about the quality of the performance in a couple of hours.

Well I certainly haven't heard of her until this award season.

In regards to Cotillard, I would not equate her with Berry and Theron. The visibility that that the latter American actresses managed to latch onto prior to their wins seemed to be more substantial than Cotillard's. I'd say her chances are solid for a nomination in this weak year for lead females, but honestly I don't see voters being so pressed to vote for the French beauty. She's no Juliette Binoche.

Edited By mashari on 1198547452
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Your thing with Amy Ryan...wow, I dunno, I just don't get it.

But in defense of Flipp's first comment, well of course she hasn't won everything. Has anyone checked to see if she won her high school popularity contest too? Has she? Because that may be a stumbling block come Oscar time. Especially if people in her high school liked Cate Blanchett.

What Flipp meant is that she's won a clusterfuck of critics awards, and therefore had the kind of pre-Globe dominance of critics awards to enter the second phase of the Oscar race as the critical front runner. Of course the HFPA could ignore that entirely and pick someone else. It's happened before. So could SAG. But at least for this very moment, in the first stage of the Oscar race, and as far as critics go only, she's in the lead.

As for Flipp's second comment, I think what he clearly means is that Amy Ryan has sucked a lot of dick to get where she is.

Edited By Akash on 1198538862

Return to “The 8th Decade”