Begiining to be a patern

1998 through 2007
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

dylanfan23 wrote:I remember a time when critics were always good for a lot of surprises and when you could cheer for a film or performance that maybe you thought was brilliant that you knew wasn't going to have any real chance with the academy. Or you'd see some surprises and think, does this film or performance actually have a chance....this year it seems like we're waiting for surprises and don't care what they are or if they're films we love, we just want something...nothing like it used to be. And a little depressing.
I guess that is the beginning of what I was feeling earlier. I remember the days when I championed Jean Smart in Guinevere ( She immortalized the word "Awe".) Knowing full well she didn't have a chance at even a nomination.

I pleaded for Virginia Madsen, and Sandra Oh at the same time; I worked hard emotionally for Stallone, but Finch got it.

In my youth, I pined for the also-rans "Born Yesterday","The Caine Mutiny" in the same year as" On The Waterfront", Russell's "Auntie Mame", Diane Varsi for" Peyton Place", and Don Murray in "Bus Stop" among others. Not a hope for anyone in the bunch, but those were the ones you really WANTED to win in your heart of hearts.

Who is going to surprise everyone?
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Moderators: PLEASE correct my heading for this topic. I never went through bloody spell-check. It should of c ourse read " Beginning To Be A Pattern" . And please edit this post.
Thanks Cam
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

I remember a time when critics were always good for a lot of surprises and when you could cheer for a film or performance that maybe you thought was brilliant that you knew wasn't going to have any real chance with the academy. Or you'd see some surprises and think, does this film or performance actually have a chance....this year it seems like we're waiting for surprises and don't care what they are or if they're films we love, we just want something...nothing like it used to be. And a little depressing.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Looking at all the Best Of...lists, or Film Critics' award, there is a pattern of the the same performers, writers, directors nominations, beginning to appear. The Detroit ones, this evening, gave me a real feeling of being-there, done-that.

What also is interesting is the lack of love for Sweeney Todd. Once in a while Burton in named, once in awhile Depp; once, only, Carter. Six-seven actors are mentioned more than once,same with directors; maybe eight films;three each actresses, supporting actors and actresses.

Maybe there are not going to be surprises in such a bountiful year of goods films.

Edited By cam on 1197949444

Return to “The 8th Decade”