It Is December! - ...and we still know nothing!

1998 through 2007
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

All I see is that I don't think James Newton Howard is a very good writer. And he's not.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Sabin wrote:Oh, Wesley...
What? and don't say anything I would have to smack you about.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

True, they won't pick the winner, but they are exceptionally good at getting films nominated. Only twice since 1990 have they not gotten a film nominated for Best Picture.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I don't think James Newton Howard is a very good writer.

Edited By Sabin on 1197245616
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hmmm. I just saw the L.A. results. OK, so maybe it will pull off a best picture nominatioin after all, but the L.A. critics are not very good at predicting Oscar winners except when they are on the same bandwagon as everyone else.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

The early buzz for There Will Be Blood came from Austin (Texas) critics who saw the first preview and published the first reviews. I'm not saying this is the case, but they could have been overly impressed by the fact that they don't get to be the first to see films in Austin very often. Also the film might appeal more to anti-oil Texans than the rest of the world.

I suspect Day-Lewis will still get a nomination, but his chances at winning have been diminished by his lack of showing at the admittedly few awards announced so far. The film itself is a difficult sell and with two other bloody violent films likely to be nominated, it will likely be the one left out.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

PTA's got the Jhirmack bounce back. :laugh:
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Damien, i don't think it was his fanboys touting him...I think it was all those people who saw it as a departure for him, thus making the Acadmey more likely to take notice.

But, I haven't heard anything about it other than the early buzz...who knows what's going on, really...has it even released yet?
Wesley Lovell
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Big Magilla wrote:I don't see anything odd, although I think There Will Be Blood is probably dead in the water. The early buzz is not holding up. The film's biggest hope, Daniel Day-Lewis is not sweeping the critics' awards, in fact he hasn't won anything yet.
Oh, the irony.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I think the most damning piece of evidence in support of the sudden diminishment of Oscar buzz for Blood is the fact that highbrow critics seem enthusiastic about it ... as rain Bard suggested some months back.

Edited By Eric on 1197240231
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Big Magilla wrote:I don't see anything odd, although I think There Will Be Blood is probably dead in the water. The early buzz is not holding up. The film's biggest hope, Daniel Day-Lewis is not sweeping the critics' awards, in fact he hasn't won anything yet.
One should never rely on Paul Thomas Anderson fanboys, especially if they're being hysterical on other Oscar sites.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

well, there have only been 3 or 4 critics awards so far, so we don't know anything for sure yet.

And there's still the Globes... they could easily change the race.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1197236597
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I don't see anything odd, although I think There Will Be Blood is probably dead in the water. The early buzz is not holding up. The film's biggest hope, Daniel Day-Lewis is not sweeping the critics' awards, in fact he hasn't won anything yet.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

My newest predictions are now posted.

Yes, I have included some odd choices, but I felt a need to be different in certain categories.

Oscar Hopefuls
Wesley Lovell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I think your supporting actors are spot on.

Return to “The 8th Decade”