Mickey Rooney's stepson accused of abusing actor

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

flipp525 wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:Please tell me you're joking... An Oscar for playing a very racist stereotype?
Do you have an inability to recognize sarcasm?
To be fair...this is Damien who said it. He loves him the Breakfast at Tiffany's, so it's within reason that he would embrace the film's biggest flaw.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:Please tell me you're joking... An Oscar for playing a very racist stereotype?
Do you have an inability to recognize sarcasm?
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Funny, in all the appearances the Mick has been making over the past few years, I haven't seen the stepson at any of them. Is it he who forces the actor to attend every Oscar ceremony? If so, will we see him this year?
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

My favorite of his roles are Skidoo, the Black Stallion and Babe: Pig in the City. (and I have to admit he really nailed that Andy Hardy character too)

Damien, I recently rewatched Breakfast At Tiffany's, for the first time on the big screen, and I found it a masterpiece, but I still maintain it would have been a greater masterpiece without his extraneous character.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Please tell me you're joking... An Oscar for playing a very racist stereotype?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Now don't you all feel terrible about recently bad-mouthing this screen legend? Go ahead, say it -- He should have won Best Supporting Actor for Breakfast At Tiffany's.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Mickey Rooney's stepson accused of abusing actor
By ANTHONY McCARTNEY, AP Entertainment Writer
22 mins ago

LOS ANGELES – A judge has granted Mickey Rooney a temporary restraining order from his stepson, who is accused in court filings of withholding food and medicine from the veteran actor and meddling in his personal finances.

Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Reva Goetz approved the stay-away order on Monday after attorneys for Rooney sought protection for the Academy Award-nominated actor, claiming he lives in fear of stepson Chris Aber.

The order requires Aber to stay 100 yards away from Rooney and his home and to refrain from contacting the actor until a hearing on Feb. 24, when the restraining order may be extended.

"Chris is verbally abusive toward Mickey," the court filing states. "He yells and screams at Mickey. He threatens, intimidates, bullies, and harasses Mickey.

"Mickey is effectively a prisoner in his own home," the filing states.

It accuses Aber of forcing Rooney to make certain personal appearances, and has required him to sign financial documents without reading them.

Attempts to find a working phone number for Aber were unsuccessful.

The actor's attorneys also obtained a temporary conservatorship for Rooney, 90, to protect his personal and financial interests. The order allows the attorneys to secure Rooney's financials assets and obtain control of his website and any financial documents in Aber's possession.

Rooney is described in a news release about the case as still being sharp-witted.

"All I want to do is live a peaceful life, to regain my life and be happy," Rooney wrote in a statement. "I pray to God each day to protect us, help us endure, and guide those other senior citizens who are also suffering."

Rooney's film career spans more than eight decades and he received four Academy Award nominations and an honorary Oscar. In the 1930s and 40s, he played Andy Hardy in a series of films, and received his first Oscar nominations in 1939 for "Babes in Arms" and in 1943 for "The Human Comedy."
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “The People”