R.I.P. David Carradine

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Umm, that reminds me of Private Benjamin

SPOILER ALERT

when Judy Benjamin's new husband dies after having sex, and his aunt or whatever asks Judy: Please dear, I need to know. What were his last words?
Judy answers, cold-blooded: ''I'm cumming.'' :D
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Nevertheless rumors of murder perist.

From Monsters and Critics:

David Carradine's manager claims he was murdered in a Thai hotel earlier this week.

The 72-year-old actor was hanging found naked in a cupboard with a curtain rope strung around his neck and genitals on Thursday (04.06.09), and initially believed to have committed suicide.

His manager Chick Binder said, however, his Carradine's hands were tied behind his back and a footprint on the bed in the otherwise immaculate hotel room where he was found did not match his shoes.

Binder said: "For sure there was foul play. We definitely don't believe it was a suicide. David was a great guy and a great client and a great friend."

The actor's lawyer Vicki Roberts said: "I believe there may have been foul play. Anybody could stage a suicide after a murder."

Police in the country's capital, Bangkcock, have denied the murder claims, saying CCTV evidence shows nobody came into or went out of the room.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1244295639
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

You'll note that the divorce document I posted from the Smoking Gun contains a reference to "abhorrent and deviant sexual behavior which was potentially deadly."

It also says that he was in an incestuous relationship with a close family member.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

From Hollywood Elsewhere:

A rope "tied to [his] neck and genitals" suggests that poor David Carradine died from "accidental suffocation," according to this news story. Yeah, okay, but the term is autoerotic asphyxiation. It refers to "intentionally cutting off oxygen to the brain for purposes of sexual arousal. It is also called asphyxiophilia, autoerotic asphyxia, scarfing or kotzwarraism. Colloquially, a person engaging in the activity is sometimes called a gasper."
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

No, just retirement from Mother Earth.

Same for the rest of us... some will go to heaven, some will go to hell.

I prefer to go to heaven. Thank you.
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I can think of worse ways for a 72 year old man to go out.
"How's the despair?"
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

David Carradine: Suicide or Murder?

Or autoerotic asphyxiation.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Suicide or murder?

Now that he no longer walks the Earth, David Carradine is genuinely missed.

Friends, family and fans are reeling from the news of the sudden, mysterious death today of the star of Kung Fu and Kill Bill.

"My Uncle David was a brilliantly talented, fiercely intelligent and generous man. He was the nexus of our family in so many ways, and drew us together and kept us connected. I adored him as a child, and as an adult I admired and respected him," actress and Carradine niece Martha Plimpton says in a statement to E! News. "We will all miss him terribly, and are so grateful for everyone's condolences."

Celebrity fans like Kirstie Alley and The Office's Rainn Wilson took to Twitter to celebrate the late actor's legacy.

Thai police say a maid discovered the 72-year-old Carradine's partially clothed body hanging in a wardrobe in his luxury Bangkok hotel suite. There was no sign of foul play, and so far authorities believe the death to be a suicide.

But that theory is being disputed by those who knew him best.

"He was a very strong person, and I don't think it's likely at all that it was a suicide," mother-in-law Betty Fraser exclusively tells E! News.
David Carradine, Kung Fu Warner Bros. Television

Despite police statements to the contrary, Fraser says, "I think it was either an accident or a break-in because it was a large hotel and [he was] American."

Fraser says her daughter, Carradine's widow, Anne, was informed of the bad news early this morning and is understandably in a very "fragile" state.

"Anne called us last night in the middle of the night," she says. "She wasn't with him. This was a very short shoot, with a French film company. We only heard that he was going just a week or two before he left."

The family has gathered at the couple's Los Angeles-area home and is in touch with the U.S. embassy and investigators.

Fraser says Carradine had been in good spirits a month ago, when the family got together for the San Luis Obispo Film Festival in central California. "He was great," she recalls. "He loved riding horses. Anne and David came up with the kids and it was really a very nice affair. They put us up in a nice hotel there."

Carradine's rep, Chuck Binder, also flatly rejected the notion that the actor took his life.

"It's all under police investigation. We definitely don't believe it was a suicide," says Binder, adding that Carradine "was a great guy and a great client and a great friend."

And Kill Bill costar Vivica Fox tells PopEater, "I would have never, ever thought that he would kill himself. I find that to be almost unbelievable that he hung himself. He did not seem like the person that would take his own life. It just seems so out of character."

But Carradine did suffer from depression, ex-wife Marina Anderson tells RadarOnline, and the actor himself admitted to having dark thoughts, according to Britain's Telegraph.

The newspaper's website reprinted a 2004 interview with the martial-arts enthusiast in which he said he had grappled with thoughts of killing himself.

"Look, there was a period in my life when I had a single action Colt 45, loaded, in my desk drawer. And every night I'd take it out and think about blowing my head off, and then decide not to and go on with my life. Put it back in the drawer and open up the laptop and continue writing my autobiography or whatever," he was quoted as saying. "But it was just to see."

Edited By Big Magilla on 1244265443
Leeder
Graduate

Post by Leeder »

He appears to have been a very troubled and abusive character: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/carradine1.html.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Very, very sad. Apparently it was suicide.

R.I.P.

Actor David Carradine found dead in Bangkok (AP)

BANGKOK - Actor David Carradine, star of the 1970s TV series "Kung Fu" who also had a wide-ranging career in the movies, has been found dead in the Thai capital, Bangkok. A news report said he was found hanged in his hotel room and was believed to have committed suicide.

A spokesman for the U.S. Embassy, Michael Turner, confirmed the death of the 72-year-old actor. He said the embassy was informed by Thai authorities that Carradine died either late Wednesday or early Thursday, but he could not provide further details out of consideration for his family.

The Web site of the Thai newspaper The Nation cited unidentified police sources as saying Carradine was found Thursday hanged in his luxury hotel room.

It said Carradine was in Bangkok to shoot a movie and had been staying at the hotel since Tuesday.

The newspaper said Carradine could not be contacted after he failed to appear for a meal with the rest of the film crew on Wednesday, and that his body was found by a hotel maid at 10 a.m. Thursday morning. The name of the movie was not immediately available.

It said a preliminary police investigation found that he had hanged himself with a cord used with the room's curtains. It cited police as saying he had been dead at least 12 hours and there was no sign that he had been assaulted.

A police officer at Bangkok's Lumpini precinct station would not confirm the identity of the dead man, but said the luxury Swissotel Nai Lert Park hotel had reported that a male guest killed himself there.

Carradine was a leading member of a venerable Hollywood acting family that included his father, character actor John Carradine, and brother Keith.

In all, he appeared in more than 100 feature films with such directors as Martin Scorsese, Ingmar Bergman and Hal Ashby. One of his prominent early film roles was as singer Woody Guthrie in Ashby's 1976 biopic "Bound for Glory."

But he was best known for his role as Kwai Chang Caine, a Shaolin priest traveling the 1800s American frontier West in the TV series "Kung Fu," which aired in 1972-75.

He reprised the role in a mid-1980s TV movie and played Caine's grandson in the 1990s syndicated series "Kung Fu: The Legend Continues."

He returned to the top in recent years as the title character in Quentin Tarantino's two-part saga "Kill Bill."

The character, the worldly father figure of a pack of crack assassins, was a shadowy presence in 2003's "Kill Bill - Vol. 1." In that film, one of Bill's former assassins (Uma Thurman) begins a vengeful rampage against her old associates.

In "Kill Bill - Vol. 2," released in 2004, Thurman's character comes face to face again with Bill himself. The role brought Carradine a Golden Globe nomination as best supporting actor.

Bill was a complete contrast to his TV character Kwai Chang Caine, the soft-spoken refugee from a Shaolin monastery, serenely spreading wisdom and battling bad guys in the Old West. He left after three seasons, saying the show had started to repeat itself.

After "Kung Fu," Carradine starred in the 1975 cult flick "Death Race 2000." He starred with Liv Ullmann in Bergman's "The Serpent's Egg" in 1977 and with his brothers in the 1980 Western "The Long Riders."

But after the early 1980s, he spent two decades doing mostly low-budget films. Tarantino's films changed that.

"All I've ever needed since I more or less retired from studio films a couple of decades ago ... is just to be in one," Carradine told The Associated Press in 2004.

"There isn't anything that Anthony Hopkins or Clint Eastwood or Sean Connery or any of those old guys are doing that I couldn't do," he said. "All that was ever required was somebody with Quentin's courage to take and put me in the spotlight."

One thing remained a constant after "Kung Fu": Carradine's interest in Oriental herbs, exercise and philosophy. He wrote a personal memoir called "Spirit of Shaolin" and continued to make instructional videos on tai chi and other martial arts.

In the 2004 interview, Carradine talked candidly about his past boozing and narcotics use, but said he had put all that behind him and stuck to coffee and cigarettes.

"I didn't like the way I looked, for one thing. You're kind of out of control emotionally when you drink that much. I was quicker to anger."

"You're probably witnessing the last time I will ever answer those questions," Carradine said. "Because this is a regeneration. It is a renaissance. It is the start of a new career for me.

"It's time to do nothing but look forward."

Edited By MovieWes on 1244130838
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

This is shocking.

R.I.P.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

A total shockeroo. No mention of Bound for Glory, for which he should have, of course, been nominated for an Oscar.

In the 1970s people would tell me I either looked like John Ritter or David Carradine, though I couldn't see either. Now they're both gone. Eerie.

BANGKOK (WABC) -- Kung Fu and Kill Bill star David Carradine has been found dead in a hotel room in Bangkok.

Carradine, 73, was there to shoot a new movie, his agent said.

His agent confirmed his death this morning, saying the actor had been was in great spirits.

He said he believed Carradine died of natural causes.

Carradine may be best remembered for his role as Kwai Chang Caine in the 1970s TV Series Kung Fu.

More recently, he starred as Bill in Quentin Tarantino's Kill Bill films.

Over the years, he appeared in over 200 motion pictures and television dramas, and numerous plays. He was also a producer, director, writer, and composer for the screen as well.

He was born John Arthur Carradine, the eldest son of actor John Carradine.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1244125563
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Breaking...

---------------
From BBC News

Kill Bill and Kung Fu star David Carradine has been found dead in a Bangkok hotel room, BBC correspondent Jonathan Head has reported.

The 72-year-old was in Thailand filming his latest film Stretch, according to his personal manager Chuck Binder.

Mr Binder said the news was "shocking", adding: "He was full of life, always wanting to work... a great person."

More soon.

------------------------------
ETA: A few outlets are reporting natural causes, while some are reporting possible suicide.

Edited By dws1982 on 1244124053

Return to “The People”