Geena Davis Throws Much Attitude - Her Appearance in Lexington, Kentucky

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Jeffrey wrote:And Geena must think she IS the president, as she walked with three security personnel around her at all times.
It's only fair. The President already thinks he's a diva actress -- preening for photo-ops with black children in his lap while trying not to cringe; standing and cheer-leading in front of a Mission Accomplished sign, while hoping no one asks him about the mission or the accomplishment, or how to spell either one; and let's not forget, taking a record number of vacation days to clear brush on his phony ranch.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

That's rather disappointing, but I've stopped being surprised to hear about diva-like behavior from actors. I think it's more the norm, rather than the exception.

Her Best Supporting Actress win for the The Accidental Tourist is definitely one of my favorite Cinderella surprises, too. Sigourney Weaver was great in Working Girl, but Davis' performance was quirky, luminous and heartbreaking where Weaver's was just "bitch supreme" (she certainly had some killer lines, though). The Accidental Tourist is severely underrated as a film (I would have definitely nominated William Hurt that year in lead). Ann Tyler's novels are always enjoyable. We've discussed this win in the past, but the moment that sticks out for me is the look of joy on Muriel's face when Macon slows down the cab to pick her up in Paris. It's a truly magical cinematic moment.

Edited By flipp525 on 1196881526
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Jeffrey
Graduate

Post by Jeffrey »

Academy Award Winner Geena Davis made a speech and then had an autograph session here in Lexington, Kentucky in October. Her win is my all-time favorite Cinderella Oscar win. I mean, the Academy even had Sigourney Weaver's co-star in Working Girl, Melanie Griffith, present the category.

It was with much excitement, then, that I attended Geena's speech. I didn't learn until just two weeks prior that Geena's parents attended Berea (Ky.) College, just south of here. I had always thought of her family as New Englanders. Oddly enough, my mother is from Berea and also went to school there.

Imagine my disappointment when Geena Davis was such a DIVA at her autograph session. She blew threw the autograph line is less than an hour, barely taking time to say more than a sentence to attendees. To her credit, I will say that she gladly posed for many mobile phone photos.

No doubt, this was the most impersonal, brusque, abrupt autograph session I've ever attended. And as I was leaving, I saw her going into a Hallmark Card Store to browse. She could've easily spent more time with her autograph seekers.

Also, I couldn't believe the misinformation. Pamphlets for the event credited her Oscar victory for Thelma & Louise, not The Accidental Tourist. The simple country girl in front of me kept discussing how much she loved Geena's sitcom "Angie" (it was a MOVIE she made, not her sitcom).

And Geena must think she IS the president, as she walked with three security personnel around her at all times.

Return to “The People”