What will win Best Visual Effects now?

For the films of 2023
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Re: What will win Best Visual Effects now?

Post by Sabin »

Looks like the race where Tenet won. Maybe it just goes to Opppenheimer.
"How's the despair?"
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Re: What will win Best Visual Effects now?

Post by Reza »

Since when has the Academy not nominated a critically drubbed or commercially unsuccessful film in this category? And its silly to even consider Barbie and Oppenheimer in this category.

Some of the ones you mention will make up the list this year in absence of Dune.
anonymous1980
Laureate

What will win Best Visual Effects now?

Post by anonymous1980 »

Before it was announced that it was moving to March 2024, Dune Part II was pretty much the front-runner for the Best Visual Effects Oscar. Now that it's out of the race until the following year, the Visual Effects race is now pretty much wide open. What will win? What will even get nominated?

First off, the two biggest box-office behemoths of the year so far Oppenheimer and Barbie have, oddly enough, not a whole lot of obvious visual effects and supporting visual effects work very seldom win. Oppenheimer does have the recreation of the atomic bomb test which they quite proudly say were able to pull off without the use of CGI. That could be good enough for a nomination.

Then we have a whole slew of the wannabe blockbusters which disappointed either critically, commercially or both: Ant-Man and The Wasp: Quantumania, Fast X, Blue Beetle, The Flash, Indiana Jones and the Dial Destiny, Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One, The Little Mermaid, Haunted Mansionp, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, etc. I suppose a few of them may steal a spot or two or even may make the bakeoff but some of them have been dinged for having BAD visual effects (i.e. The Flash).

One exception to this is Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 which was both a big hit and relatively well-received by critics. This would also be an easy nomination. But can it win? The previous two were nominated but didn't win (I don't think any MCU film has won the VFX Oscar yet).

The VFX branch could also default to nominating an animated film with Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse and Elemental having good visual effects but will they?

Here are some of the VFX-heavy films coming for the rest of the year: Aquaman: The Lost Kingdom, The Creator, The Hunger Games: Songbirds and Snakes, The Marvels, Napoleon, Rebel Moon, Wonka. I suppose one or two of them could get nominations. But can any of them win?

Return to “96th Academy Awards”