WGA Nominations

For the films of 2021
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Re: WGA Nominations

Post by Big Magilla »

Don't Look Up would have been my pick from this lot and I usually like Paul Thomas Anderson and dislike Adam McKay intensely.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Mister Tee wrote:How can a Guild that used to give prizes to Election and American Splendor settle for things like Jojo Rabbit and this pair?
Not gonna lie, Don't Look Up might have been my vote out of this group.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I wouldn't have predicted this but I certainly remember seeing Don't Look Up and thinking that many people in Hollywood would enjoy it.
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

How can a Guild that used to give prizes to Election and American Splendor settle for things like Jojo Rabbit and this pair?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Best Original Screenplay: Don’t Look Up
Best Adapted Screenplay: CODA
"How's the despair?"
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Not much to say about this list, since we know at least one likely Oscar winner (Power of the Dog), multiple likely nominees (Belfast, The Lost Daughter) plus other real possibilities (Drive My Car, Passing, Parallel Mothers) were excluded here but can return at AMPAS (I'll also throw in The Tragedy of Macbeth, which WAS eligible here, but could still rally for the Oscar nod, given the Coen propensity for surprise writing citations).

Taking these at face value: I'd say Licorice Pizza just about needs to win this prize if it's going to have a strong shot at the Oscar. But a win in adapted -- something at which I'd not even hazard a guess -- is no guarantee of even being involved in the AMPAS contest. (You have to wonder, since this award will be given out well after Oscar nominations, if voters will subconsciously choose to consider only those that carry over to the AMPAS list -- assuming any of them do. Though that thinking didn't enter into the choice of Eighth Grade.)

Pretty respectable day for tick...tick...Boom!, even given its disqualification/categorization advantages. Also helpful for Being the Ricardos -- though worth remembering Molly's Game also got PGA but was held to the single screenplay nod at the Oscars. And Nightmare Alley maintains a pulse...at least compared to House of Gucci.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

The disqualified BELFAST will be nominated for the Oscar, but who will it knock out? I would love to say KING RICHARD or DON'T LOOK UP, but I worry it will be THE FRENCH DISPATCH.

Likewise, the disqualified THE POWER OF THE DOG and THE LOST DAUGHTER will be nominated, with possibly DRIVE MY CAR joining them. The two most vulnerable contenders are TICK, TICK, BOOM and NIGHTMARE ALLEY, but DUNE and WEST SIDE STORY are certainly not safe either.

I thought WEST SIDE STORY was inevitable in almost every non-acting category, but its misses for Editing and Cinematography make me wonder. The Director's Guild should give us some clarity since missing there would mark it as an also-ran rather than serious contender.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

WGA Nominations

Post by Mister Tee »

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Being the Ricardos, Written by Aaron Sorkin; Amazon Studios

Don’t Look Up, Screenplay by Adam McKay, Story by Adam McKay & David Sirota; Netflix

The French Dispatch of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun, Screenplay by Wes Anderson, Story by Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola & Hugo Guinness & Jason Schwartzman; Searchlight Pictures

King Richard, Written by Zach Baylin; Warner Bros. Pictures

Licorice Pizza, Written by Paul Thomas Anderson; United Artists

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
CODA, Screenplay by Siân Heder, Based on the Original Motion Picture La Famille Belier Directed by Eric Lartigau, Written by Victoria Bedos, Stanislas Carree de Malberg, Eric Lartigau and Thomas Bidegain; Apple

Dune, Screenplay by Jon Spaihts and Denis Villeneuve and Eric Roth, Based on the novel Dune Written by Frank Herbert; Warner Bros. Pictures

Nightmare Alley, Screenplay by Guillermo del Toro & Kim Morgan, Based on the Novel by William Lindsay Gresham; Searchlight Pictures

tick…tick…BOOM!, Screenplay by Steven Levenson, Based on the play by Jonathan Larson; Netflix

West Side Story, Screenplay by Tony Kushner, Based on the Stage Play, Book by Arthur Laurents, Music by Leonard Bernstein, Lyrics by Stephen Sondheim, Play Conceived, Directed and Choreographed by Jerome Robbins; 20th Century Studios

DOCUMENTARY SCREENPLAY
Being Cousteau, Written by Mark Monroe & Pax Wasserman; National Geographic

Exposing Muybridge, Written by Marc Shaffer; Inside Out Media

Like a Rolling Stone: The Life & Times of Ben Fong-Torres, Written by Suzanne Joe Kai; StudioLA.TV

Return to “94th Academy Awards”