The BAFTA longlist

For the films of 2021
Okri
Tenured

Re: The BAFTA longlist

Post by Okri »

rolotomasi99 wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:Andrew Garfield is mentioned for both tick...tick...Boom! in lead and The Eyes of Tammy Faye in support.
We have all been wondering who could take Supporting Actor at the Oscars, and I think Garfield could be the stealth front runner. Both his performances were great, but I particularly loved his work in THE EYES OF TAMMY FAYE.
I love the idea of longlists, but at BAFTA they end up reading as "British people in films." I'm not talking about British actors in smaller films (Ahmed, Scanlan, Graham - all have gotten superb reviews and are the types of performances BAFTA should be honouring) but someone like Carey Mulligan in Drive makes the longlist.

If Chastain's performance was in the winner's discussion, maybe her coattails would be long enough to get Garfield in and then general appreciation for his year allows him to win an amorphous race. But I think it's more likely that he gets in as lead and then is a genuine contender to win

That said, that these longlists are disappointing.
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

Big Magilla wrote:Andrew Garfield is mentioned for both tick...tick...Boom! in lead and The Eyes of Tammy Faye in support.
We have all been wondering who could take Supporting Actor at the Oscars, and I think Garfield could be the stealth front runner. Both his performances were great, but I particularly loved his work in THE EYES OF TAMMY FAYE.
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

A much more conventional longlist that last year.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Interesting. House of Gucci gets 13 mentions including Best Film and Best British Film while Ridley Scott's superior The Last Duel gets just 6, all in technical categories. Nightmare Alley does even worse with just 4.

Andrew Garfield is mentioned for both tick...tick...Boom! in lead and The Eyes of Tammy Faye in support. Bradley Cooper is mentioned for Licorice Pizza but not Nightmare Alley. Ben Affleck in The Tender Bar is shut out as is Jodie Comer in The Last Duel. Otherwise pretty much what one would expect.
anonymous1980
Laureate

The BAFTA longlist

Post by anonymous1980 »

Here it is.

Who didn't make it?

Return to “94th Academy Awards”