Meryl Streep - Sophie's Choice
66%
Debra Winger - An Officer and a Genetleman
3%

Total votes: 65

mayukh
Graduate

Post by mayukh »

Winger can do no wrong. I voted for her. She is perfect in that film regardless of the fact that everything that surrounds her is slaphappy. Working class, angry, on the verge of complete disillusionment, stubborn, defiant, brazenly sexual, vulnerable, filled with pain – all that good stuff. She creates a totally contradictory but very, very human character during what totals about, say, half an hour. Loved this performance since the moment I first saw it.

Edited By mayukh on 1304816132
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Forever Streep!
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:Nancy had recently auditioned for Blake Edwards, and although she didn't get the role she said he was one of the most supportive, intelligent and warm filmmakers she had ever encountered.

Which of his films did she audition for? The Man Who Loved Women?

Edited By Reza on 1258882808
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

That year my brother challenged me. The day before the Oscars, he asked me to predict the winners in the major categories, leaving me two choices in each category. I still remember my list.

PICTURE
Gandhi or ET

DIRECTOR
Attemborough or Spielberg

ACTOR
Kingsley or Newman

ACTRESS
Streep or Lange

SUPPORTING ACTOR
Gossett jr or Mason

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Lange or Stanley

I wasnt yet 14 at the time, and of course, while I used to read the Time magazine (which my father had a subscription for), my only other sources of informations were the Italian press and the movies themselves. And the only precursors I knew of were the Golden Globes. So I guess this shows how easily predictable the Oscars were even back then (or at least in that year). Though today I would never think that Kim Stanley and maybe even James Mason were so close to the award.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1258889722
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sabin wrote:
In terms of watching the Oscars, the 1982 Awards are probably my favorite ever. I saw them at Brian De Palma's apartment at One Fifth Avenue in Greenwich Village, lying in bed under the covers with Nancy Allen and Bill Condon.
In 1998, my parents let my sister and I order whatever pizza we wanted. We got pepperoni and sausage and pepperoni and green peppers. And it was awesome.
That reminds me of 1967. My parents and I saw Peter Watkin's Privilege, went out for bacon pizza and came home to watch the Oscars. It was an awesome night.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

In terms of watching the Oscars, the 1982 Awards are probably my favorite ever. I saw them at Brian De Palma's apartment at One Fifth Avenue in Greenwich Village, lying in bed under the covers with Nancy Allen and Bill Condon.

In 1998, my parents let my sister and I order whatever pizza we wanted. We got pepperoni and sausage and pepperoni and green peppers. And it was awesome.
"How's the despair?"
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Sabin wrote:This is going to sound odd but I was looking at the nominees and wins for the year 1982 and what an exciting night it would have been if Gandhi was never made. None of the other movies are conventionally what would win the Oscar but they appear to be very well-received. I'm not even talking about the idea of Spielberg or Pollack winning Best Director or Paul Newman winning Best Actor. Would the Oscar go to the myriad writers aboard Tootsie or Melissa Matheson? I'm rather astonished to see Blade Runner wasn't nominated and Tootsie was, but would voters have chosen Das Boot, E.T. or Sophie's Choice for Best Cinematography? The vision of the future in Blade Runner or the German night clubs of Victor/Victoria? Would this be the rare year where a foreign film wins Best Film Editing?

Done talking out my ass.

We were all rooting for Victor/Victoria, of course. Nancy had recently auditioned for Blake Edwards, and although she didn't get the role she said he was one of the most supportive, intelligent and warm filmmakers she had ever encountered.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Sabin wrote:This is going to sound odd but I was looking at the nominees and wins for the year 1982 and what an exciting night it would have been if Gandhi was never made. None of the other movies are conventionally what would win the Oscar but they appear to be very well-received. I'm not even talking about the idea of Spielberg or Pollack winning Best Director or Paul Newman winning Best Actor. Would the Oscar go to the myriad writers aboard Tootsie or Melissa Matheson? I'm rather astonished to see Blade Runner wasn't nominated and Tootsie was, but would voters have chosen Das Boot, E.T. or Sophie's Choice for Best Cinematography? The vision of the future in Blade Runner or the German night clubs of Victor/Victoria? Would this be the rare year where a foreign film wins Best Film Editing?

Done talking out my ass.
At least one of the ones you mention -- Tootsie for screenplay -- was widely expected to win despite the Gandhi putsch. The win by Briley was the nadir of a grim night, but, as you suggest, the grimness all came from the Attenborough movie.

My guess is, ET would have won cinematography, getting Daviau off his career schneid. (I'd actually predicted it on my ballot that year, but that was primarily in a wish that Gandhi not sweep) Victor/Victoria would surely have won the costume prize everyone thought it deserved to begin with, and might have taken art direction as well. Blade Runner was deserving, but the Oscars tended to ignore baroque design in that era (Brazil, Tucker, Bram Stoker's Dracula) in favor of tghe more familiar.

I assume Newman would have won best actor, though I'd have rooted for O'Toole. And Spielberg probably would have had his Oscar a decade earlier than in reality. Though you never know. Those who favored Gandhi might well have coalesced around Missing as the social-issue movie and carried it to victory.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

This is going to sound odd but I was looking at the nominees and wins for the year 1982 and what an exciting night it would have been if Gandhi was never made. None of the other movies are conventionally what would win the Oscar but they appear to be very well-received. I'm not even talking about the idea of Spielberg or Pollack winning Best Director or Paul Newman winning Best Actor. Would the Oscar go to the myriad writers aboard Tootsie or Melissa Matheson? I'm rather astonished to see Blade Runner wasn't nominated and Tootsie was, but would voters have chosen Das Boot, E.T. or Sophie's Choice for Best Cinematography? The vision of the future in Blade Runner or the German night clubs of Victor/Victoria? Would this be the rare year where a foreign film wins Best Film Editing?

Done talking out my ass.
"How's the despair?"
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I'm glad to be the anomaly (though I doubt I really am one): gay, American, voted for Streep. I mean, come on, it's one of THE performances of the decade. The academy would never have lived it down had they voted for someone else. Uri, I love your Streep dissertation.

I'm very fond of Victor/Victoria; it's one of those movies that when it comes on late at night I never get to bed because I can't stop watching it. I also am a Julie Andrews fan, having fell in love with her as a kid. Here she's great in the comic and musical parts, but she just bugs me when she's being romantic. It reminds me of the romantic parts of The Sound of Music. Ick!
jowy_jillia
Graduate

Post by jowy_jillia »

Well I'm also European and I voted for Streep!
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

But, as Eric and Flipp would say, you are straight. Pleasantly straight, I'll add. ;)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

ITALIANO wrote:I think only Europeans and Asians voted for Streep ;)
Plus at least one Irish guy from Queens.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

But you are one of us, Okri.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

ITALIANO wrote:I think only Europeans and Asians voted for Streep ;)
This Canadian is firmly in Streep's corner.

Return to “The Damien Bona Memorial Oscar History Thread”