Decision 2016

OscarGuy
Site Admin

Re: Decision 2016

Post by OscarGuy »

We shouldn't, though, Sonic. We aren't at fault for this. We did everything we could to stop it. Just like ITALIANO didn't vote for Berlusconi. It wasn't his fault and we don't (and never did) blame him personally for that.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

ITALIANO wrote:

Yes, except that Italy - and honestly even Australia - aren't so potentially dangerous... This man could cause disasters, and, sadly, more abroad than in his own country.

Years ago, when Berlusconi was at his most (infamously) popular even abroad, those on this board used to make fun of Italy (and me). They were right, of course - I would have done the same: it was all such a dreadful joke. But I knew something that those here - very expert on movies, but not too expert on history - didn't know: Italy historically often anticapates what later happens in other places (and it's not always something we are proud of - we were, for example, the first Fascist dictatorship in Europe). We are older, so we see things which later happen everywhere else. I knew that, despite the Obama euphoria, sooner or later a Berlusconi-type president would have come in the US (and other places) too.
We deserve everything you, and the other international members here, have to say to us. We should hang our heads in shame.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

HOLLYWOOD: Get out and vote!
AMERICA: Okay.
"How's the despair?"
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Yeah the moment I realized I wasn't nihilistic enough shook me.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Precious Doll wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:This shows that the US can be even worse than Italy (and all other democratic nations) - much, much worse (Berlusconi was a deep political thinker compared to Trump). How such a person can become the head of the (still) most influential country in the world is a mystery to me. What I am sure of - I will never ever go there again. It's simply not my kind of place.
And just as bad as Australia

Yes, except that Italy - and honestly even Australia - aren't so potentially dangerous... This man could cause disasters, and, sadly, more abroad than in his own country.

Years ago, when Berlusconi was at his most (infamously) popular even abroad, those on this board used to make fun of Italy (and me). They were right, of course - I would have done the same: it was all such a dreadful joke. But I knew something that those here - very expert on movies, but not too expert on history - didn't know: Italy historically often anticapates what later happens in other places (and it's not always something we are proud of - we were, for example, the first Fascist dictatorship in Europe). We are older, so we see things which later happen everywhere else. I knew that, despite the Obama euphoria, sooner or later a Berlusconi-type president would have come in the US (and other places) too.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

As hindsight goes with its 20/20 vision...one sure wonders if the positive effect or any of the good that has come from our first African American president lightning rod figure was worth much of anything by this point, the midterms in '10 & '14, the massive increase in violence, specifically gun violence, amongst black americans, then this last night adding a cherry to the top of the shitstorm.

Clearly some odd anti-Obama force created this and we can't have it back now...but were you to show Obama the future 2017 landscape a la Doc Brown or something...with Roe v. Wade and Obamacare and Dodd Frank on the scrap heap while he is on his way out, as well as leaving DC under complete GOP control of everything outside of Chuck Schumer's bladder control...would he have had the presidential itch so intensely??
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Well, not much to be said. Or too much.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

On the plus side, he won't fill his cabinet with the warmongers that G.W. Bush did. On the minus side, he will fill it with people who are just as despicable in other ways - Gingrich for Secretary of State, Giuliani or Christie for Attorney General, and so on.

His crazier ideas, such as building a wall and getting Mexico to pay for it and deporting millions of people will be thwarted if he actually tries to get them done.

The spend-nothing, do-nothing Republican congress is as apt to be as uncooperative with his plans for rebuilding infrastructure as they were with Obama. His movement will collapse and his supporters will abandon him. Only when the great unwashed wise up and elect a Congress that will do its job will things change. In the meantime all we can do is hope that he doesn't screw up too much until that happens.

We can always hope the Supreme Court justices he appoints will turn out not to be as conservative as they seem.

The bigger question is where will tomorrow's leaders come from? We got through Nixon. We got through George W. Bush. It won't be easy, but we can get through Trump.
Heksagon
Adjunct

Post by Heksagon »

Sorry to see this happen, guys. At least Trump comes with an expiration date, unlike, say, Brexit.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

ITALIANO wrote:This shows that the US can be even worse than Italy (and all other democratic nations) - much, much worse (Berlusconi was a deep political thinker compared to Trump). How such a person can become the head of the (still) most influential country in the world is a mystery to me. What I am sure of - I will never ever go there again. It's simply not my kind of place.
And just as bad as Australia who in 2013 elected the most appalling creature possible as Prime Minster (I really don't know who is worse Tony 'The Chimp' Abbott or Donald Trump). We had some hope when The Chimp dumped by his own party in 2015. He was however replaced with Malcolm Turnbull who has turned out to be just as appalling. The right wing of the country only just scrapped to victory in July 2016 (under Turnbull) and is falling lower and lower in the polls (which to date in Australia have proven to be relative accurate) . It's only a matter of time before the political landscape in Australia implodes as it is on a spiral of complete disarray.

I went to a screening this afternoon to view the latest and first German version of The Diary of Anne Frank. Things were not looking good for Hilary when we entered the cinema and when we left and checked we knew it was over. It's devastating. There was hope with Hilary. She has always struck me as a decent human being. This is a tragic day not only for the U.S. but for the entire planet.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

This shows that the US can be even worse than Italy (and all other democratic nations) - much, much worse (Berlusconi was a deep political thinker compared to Trump). How such a person can become the head of the (still) most influential country in the world is a mystery to me. What I am sure of - I will never ever go there again. It's simply not my kind of place.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

This will be really something, watching Democrats flip the script about "the future of the party" that Republicans used in 2012.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
danfrank
Assistant

Post by danfrank »

I've lost all faith.
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

I mean holy shit...it looks like he has 41 electoral votes still...at fucking least

Opposite results from projections .
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

FUUUUCCCCKKKK!!

Return to “Current Events”