W (Oliver Stone, 2008)
Australia (Baz Luhrmann, 2008)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Added:

Firefly (The Complete Series)
Freaks and Geeks (The Complete Series)
Monty Python's Flying Circus (The Complete 16 Megaton Set)
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

You guys don't know how lucky you are that films play at cinemas around you....not to mention the film festivals and various tv channels that show old films. I don't have the luxury to catch an Anthony Mann classic or seek out the next Oscar hopeful. Lately cinema culture has revived in Pakistan with a slew of modern cinemas around the country. We get the latest films but only stuff like Iron Man, The Hulk or the latest Indy Jones. Action sells here while serious films (like Revolutionary Road) would be a loss at the box office. So one is quite restricted in the kind of films one can view.

So pirated dvds come in handy...... be it a Sidney Lumet, Mike Leigh or Luis Bunuel. The price is a steal and hey one gets to see everything that is out on dvd....the old and the new.....including every tv show past or present.

Edited By Reza on 1232336906
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Reza wrote:
Damien wrote:The only thing that interests me about this thread is that it's amusing to see how people waste their money.

NOT when u buy almost perfect pirated copies of films that cost only $1.50 each. Being a ''criminal'' in the bargain is another issue, ofcourse, by indulging in these pirated dvds.
$1.50 spent on a Sidney Lumet or Mike Leigh film is still a waste of money.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Damien wrote:The only thing that interests me about this thread is that it's amusing to see how people waste their money.
NOT when u buy almost perfect pirated copies of films that cost only $1.50 each. Being a ''criminal'' in the bargain is another issue, ofcourse, by indulging in these pirated dvds.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I confess I haven't bought more than 5 DVDs in the last year or more. A few I've received as gifts, but the purchase and collection of DVDs has definitely tapered off with the advent of Netflix.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The only thing that interests me about this thread is that it's amusing to see how people waste their money.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

anonymous wrote:
flipp525 wrote:What is the point of this thread? I've always been curious. "Here's what I just added to my shelf..." Who cares?

Well, for one thing, it helps increase my post count.

Don't tell me we are all going to start suffering from Post Envy here...you know, my post count is bigger than your post count!

Edited By FilmFan720 on 1232307181
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

flipp525 wrote:What is the point of this thread? I've always been curious. "Here's what I just added to my shelf..." Who cares?
Well, for one thing, it helps increase my post count.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Yeah, I have to admit I don't get it either, aside from the amusing mass of pirated DVDs acquired by Reza.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

What is the point of this thread? I've always been curious. "Here's what I just added to my shelf..." Who cares?

Edited By flipp525 on 1232311925
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Added:

High Sierra - another blind-buy.
Bayaning Third World ("Third World Hero") - a Filipino film.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I was channel surfing during breakfast yesterday and came across a Bogie-Sheridan movie on TCM I had never seen before, 1940's It All Came True in which Bogie was a gangster on the lam hiding out in Sheridan's Ma's (Una O'Connor) boarding house. Sheridan was paired with Jeffrey Lynn and Bogie with, would you believe, ZaSu Pitts? Sheridan gets to sing a number of songs and Bogie, in a rare comic role, was hilarious.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

anonymous wrote:Added:

They Drive By Night.

This is a blind-buy. How is this film?
It's Raoul Walsh so even if you didn't know anything else about it it'd be worth owning. And it contains some truly memorable hard-boiled cracking'-wise dialogue, especially from Ann Sheridan, who's wonderful.

It's not a Bogart vehicle, however -- George Raft's the star and Ida Lupino gets the (over-the-top) histrionics.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Added

Monsieur Hulot's Holiday (Jacques Tati, 1953)
Dead Ringers (David Cronenberg, 1998)

And screener copies:

The Wrestler (Darren Aronofsky, 2008)
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (David Fincher, 2008)

Return to “DVD Discussions”