The Dark Knight

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Pardon my ignorance, but who's David Tennant?

I think Steven Wright would be a good choice for role of Batman's nemesis, The Riddler.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Someone I know suggested Neil Patrick Harris for The Riddler.

I think it's also an excellent choice.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Tennant would be an inspired choice for The Riddler.
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

David Tennant, who has been campaigning hard for the role of the Riddler, is the name that has been tossed around the most. David Hyde Pierce is also said to be interested.

I've heard Marion Cotillard mentioned before, but Chris Nolan has said on record that he isn't interested in using Catwoman in his cycle of films. He's talked about digging deeper into Batman's rogues gallery and trying out characters that have never been used in any of the previous Batman films. In fact, rumor has it that the next film will be inspired by the "Hush" story.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They have been going unconventional with their casting, trying to avoid blockbuster stars unless necessary. Other than Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman and Heath Ledger, the cast has been largely unfamiliar names (not to us, of course, but to mainstream audiences). Names like Maggie Gyllenhaal and Christian Bale aren't as recognizable as perhaps their faces. I think Nolan and co. would likely stick to more obscure names for their selections unless it was absolutely appropriate. I mean look at the failure that was Batman & Robin when it was overloaded with not-so-great actors taking on roles simply because they were bigger names.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
rolotomasi99
Professor

Post by rolotomasi99 »

http://io9.com/5040178/meet-the-stars-o ... ext-knight

here is someone's fantasy casting for the inevitable sequel:

kristen bell as "harley quinn"

marion cotillard as "catwoman"

david tennant as "the riddler"

i particularly like tennant as the riddler. it is hard to imagine the adorable bell as harley quinn which is probably why it is so fucking brilliant. cotillard is fine as catwoman, but i would hope she would put on some muscle to play the part rather than staying rail thin.
i would love to see some color added to the cast. i think michelle rodriguez could make a very convincing butt-kicking catwoman. vin diesel as bane could work as well.

Edited By rolotomasi99 on 1219938598
"When it comes to the subject of torture, I trust a woman who was married to James Cameron for three years."
-- Amy Poehler in praise of Zero Dark Thirty director Kathryn Bigelow
MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

It's fake. This is a rumor that is recycled from 1990 in regards to Batman Returns. It's been pointed out on other sites. Total B.S.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

OscarGuy wrote:"claimed" is right. Not only do I highly doubt that Cher would appear as Catwoman (far too old for the role). Johnny Depp would make an atrocious Riddler, which also leads me to believe it will not be he.
"Cher is Nolan's first choice to play Catwoman. He wants to her to portray her like a vamp in her twilight years.

"The new Catwoman will be the absolute opposite of Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry's purring creations."

So, she might not be that old...

We don't know about Depp, apparently he asked to play Ledger's part in "The Imaginarium...". Could this be the same case? Besides, even if we are tired of his recent overexposure, he's still a wonderful actor.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

"claimed" is right. Not only do I highly doubt that Cher would appear as Catwoman (far too old for the role). Johnny Depp would make an atrocious Riddler, which also leads me to believe it will not be he.

Nolan hasn't even said he would be making a third Batman film at this point.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Cher 'to play Catwoman' in next Batman film
Cher has been lined up to star in the next Batman movie, it has been claimed.

By Jessica Salter
Last Updated: 6:46PM BST 24 Aug 2008
Cher 'to play Catwoman' in next Batman film
Cher is said to be director Christopher Nolan's first choice for the role Photo: STEPHEN LOCK

The 62-year-old singer and actress is reported to be in talks to play Catwoman opposite Christian Bale in the third Batman film from British director Christopher Nolan.

The Oscar-winner will join a cast that includes Johnny Depp as The Riddler as she plays the whip-carrying burglar. The character has also been played by Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry.

A studio executive said: "Cher is Nolan's first choice to play Catwoman. He wants to her to portray her like a vamp in her twilight years.

"The new Catwoman will be the absolute opposite of Michelle Pfeiffer and Halle Berry's purring creations."

Filming of the new Batman instalment, provisionally entitled The Caped Crusader, is due to begin in Vancouver early next year.

The Dark Knight, this summer's blockbuster, has become the most successful of the Batman movies. Warner Bros expects the film to make about $530m.

It stars the late Heath Ledger, who was found dead in his Manhattan apartment after taking an accidental drugs overdose. His performance as The Joker is widely expected to garner an Oscar nomination.

Cher's recent acting performances have included Tea with Mussolini in 1999 and Stuck on You, in 2003 in which she played herself.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I saw The Dark Knight here in Beirut, but not in the best way - tired after a sleepless night, surrounded by noisy Sunni children, close to a handsome Lebanese who was way more interesting than the movie, with the strongest air conditioning ever directed at me, and of course in English with Arabic subtitles. So I can't really judge the movie, after a certain point I honestly didnt try to understand too much about the story, and I will have to see it again in Italy to have a clear opinion of it. I know that it has some great moments, I know that it's overlong, and I know that it's an ambitious movie - but I can't say if it fulfills its own ambitions or not. Yet, I can say that in a normal year - and at this point we must still make our predictions as if it is a normal year - this movie would never be nominated as Best Picture. Never. Oh, I know, in America it got some great reviews, and it's the movie everybody is talking about right now - but believe me, in a few months there will be so many other contenders (not necessarily better movies, by the way) that the chances that this summer hit might be among the final five are really, really slim. And then yes, I know, if this turns out to be a dreadful year for American cinema anything can happen, but this isn't the point. Under normal circumstances, no Best Picture nomination for The Dark Knight (but plenty of technical nods for sure, and probably a few wins).

As for Heath Ledger (whose performance IS good), if the campaign for a posthumous Oscar is intelligently done - and if it's for Best Supporting Actor, certainly not for Best Actor - I can see a nomination coming. Now it's too soon to talk about his chances of winning, but I believe it won't be easy - the Academy can be cynical, and as we know well it usually honors the dead with nominations, but then gives the Oscars to the living. Even James Dean - an actor with a bigger cult following than Ledger - was nominated twice after his death, and for important movies, and didn't win. And Ledger - it's my turn to be cynical now - while certainly a respected and loved actor, is mostly respected and loved by young people (who arent exactly a widely represented age group in the Academy) and gays (because of a very good movie that the Academy liked but clearly wasn't enthusiastic about). True, they could feel guilty now, and this could mean votes for him, but... I don't know, we will see.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1219410272
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I meant the fact he hated the movie, not the specific comment on the movie's intelligence.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Too obvious, perhaps....
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

I'm pretty sure Pen would never accuse TDK of being "too smart."
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I think Pen would enjoy this excerpt from a Robert Downey Jr. interview with Moviehole.

"My whole thing is that that I saw 'The Dark Knight'. I feel like I'm dumb because I feel like I don't get how many things that are so smart. It's like a Ferrari engine of storytelling and script writing and I'm like, 'That's not my idea of what I want to see in a movie.' I loved 'The Prestige' but didn't understand 'The Dark Knight'. Didn't get it, still can't tell you what happened in the movie, what happened to the character and in the end they need him to be a bad guy. I'm like, 'I get it. This is so high brow and so f--king smart, I clearly need a college education to understand this movie.' You know what? F-ck DC comics. That's all I have to say and that's where I'm really coming from."

Return to “2008”