NBR Winners

1998 through 2007
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

flipp525 wrote:Yeah, Steph. Jennifer Connelly is so hot, even I'd fuck her.
Darling, if a bushy unibrow is your thing, stick to Josh Hartnett.

Give me Gael Garcia Bernal and Maggie Gyllenhaal anyday!

Oh and I've lurked over at some other message boards and they're all weird. Tom O'Neil and the nerds at The Envelope are among the scariest things I've ever encountered online.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

flipp525 wrote:Ellen Page for the win? Really? What idiotic Oscar board is toting that one? I don't go to any other ones because they're all screamatoriums.

A casual glance at the predictions threads on Awards Daily show Page as the predicted winner of a LOT of posters. Cotillard is probably the runner-up and I don't recall seeing anyone name Christie as a likely winner, which seems odd to me.

Meanwhile, Cate Blanchett can apparently clear space for oscar no. 2 right now.

Edited By rudeboy on 1196952538
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I'm dying to find you a Hilary Swank voodoo doll (with pins!) for your next birthday, Penelope. Oh wait, here's a "Stardoll" you can play with! It's fun to give her black lipstick and dark-purple eyeshadow and make Goth!Hilary.

Edited By flipp525 on 1196952907
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

flipp525 wrote:What totem can we pray to to have his nomination go to someone more deserving and less, well, hammy?
On this board, I think we have two choices: we could all join hands in love and rapture and say a prayer to The Glorious And Great Goddess Known To Mere Mortals As Kate Winslet, or sacrifice some poor unfortunate soul while chanting the name of Hilary Agent of Satan Swank.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Akash wrote:
Steph2 wrote:I've never understood the swooning over Clooney. He's charming and all but hardly sexy.

Jeez. First Jennifer Connelly, now George Clooney? Put in your contact lens GRANDMA.

Yeah, Steph. Jennifer Connelly is so hot, even I'd fuck her. And George Clooney is in a league of his own in the handsome, sexy and smart department. He just exudes this sexually confindent, charismatic energy. At his most haggard and bedraggled in Michael Clayton, I still wanted to jump him. His charitable work and altruism make him all the more appealing, too.

Just to segue...I'm not a huge fan of Tom Wilkinson's performance in Michael Clayton. Peter Finch called and wants his character back, Tom. What totem can we pray to to have his nomination go to someone more deserving and less, well, hammy? Ed Harris would be much more deserving for his superb work in Gone Baby Gone.

Ellen Page for the win? Really? What idiotic Oscar board is toting that one? I don't go to any other ones because they're all screamatoriums.

Edited By flipp525 on 1196951040
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Mister Tee wrote:As Magilla more or less points out, The English Patient looked in dire trouble after it lost NBR, and then did even worse with the other critics' groups, but went on to a nine-Oscar triumph. So I don't see how Atonement -- which did make the list, after all -- is suddenly in such jeopardy.
Unfortunately, Mister Tee, there is a minor detail which you keep ignoring: Atonement and The English Patient aren't the same movie. I saw BOTH of them, so I should know, I guess.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I don't look at the other boards; are they really saying Ellen Page will win? Against Christie, Cotillard, Linney, heck, even Adams??? That's just totally insane.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
paperboy
Temp

Post by paperboy »

criddic3 wrote:anonymous, I have to nitpick. You forgot to bold Juliette Binoche, Frances McDormand and Jack Nicholson. They all went on to win the Oscar in 1996 and 1997, respectively.
And Chris Cooper in 2002.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I like that these boards are all championing Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page and Amy Adams - will anyone even remember her in January? It makes Christie the underdog and they love an underdog.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Big Magilla wrote:If Altman or Kubrick had said it, they might have considered it, but coming from Reiner, nah.

Reiner really must think the Academy dislike him. Stand By Me, When Harry Met Sally and A Few Good Men all won him DGA and Golden Globe nominations for directing and failed to be aknowledged at the oscars. I'm sure he expected to be nominated for all of them.

He actually churned out some consistently strong movies from Spinal Tap through to Misery - can't think of one from that period I don't at least like. Other than parts of The American President I haven't much liked anything since... in fact now I think about it I can't even come up with a movie of his since that one...

Anyway just read the NBR winners this morning. Good for Christie, not that she needed the boost. I'm fairly optimistic that she's going to ride all the way to a well deserved second oscar, although other boards appear to be hailing Ellen Page as the winner. The Clooney movie isn't out here yet and despite the great reviews it doesn't really appeal but as mentioned, this seems like a star power-based choice. I wanted The Simpsons to upset that unappealing rat film but whatever.

Edited By rudeboy on 1196938598
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Zahveed wrote:
anonymous wrote:Speaking of Rob Reiner, I seem to remember an interview that he did after he was snubbed for Best Director for A Few Good Men. He said he'd like the Best Director category be abolished and instead, have the director and producer accept the Oscar for Best Picture.

Anyone agree with this sentiment?

Not I. You can have a great chef in a mediocre restaraunt or vice versa. Besides, who wants to share?
Well, this is what they do for foreign films. If Altman or Kubrick had said it, they might have considered it, but coming from Reiner, nah.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Steph2 wrote:I've never understood the swooning over Clooney. He's charming and all but hardly sexy.
Jeez. First Jennifer Connelly, now George Clooney? Put in your contact lens GRANDMA.
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Akash wrote:Also, George Clooney will be nominated at the Oscars. Which means at least there will be one piece of eye candy on the male side again this year.

I've never understood the swooning over Clooney. He's charming and all but hardly sexy.

Otherwise, I'm SO happy (and surprised) that No Country did so well with this group! Here's hoping it continues undeterred to a Best Picture Oscar nomination!

And yayy for Julie Christie's chances too. Sabin may indeed have another year of jerking off to an older woman.

And Bog, I think actors choose which categories to submit themselves for at SAG, no? Didn't the people at Traffic decide to gamble on a Del Toro lead nomination in the hopes that they could score supporting nominations for Cheadle and Douglas?
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

For the sake of what I (and others such as Penelope, etc.) believe to be the performance of the year by Casey Affleck (by the performer of the year), does he have a chance at riding along like Del Toro did a few years back and converting to the correct categories in some situations?

Basically what I'm saying is that there have got to be some groups out there that realize how good he has been this year and that he is the lead...like the screen actors guild did with Del Toro

I love that The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford is listed as a top film and not in just independent, not that this gives it legs or anything, but it goes from uber dead to something with a faint pulse

Amy Ryan is cruising a little bit right now

I personally think Best Director is my favorite category, where you can count on something intriguing most years, speaking of which there was a reason Rob Reiner didn't get and hasn't gotten a nomination and why the category doesn't usually match exactly- a Player Altman-type nomination
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

anonymous wrote:Speaking of Rob Reiner, I seem to remember an interview that he did after he was snubbed for Best Director for A Few Good Men. He said he'd like the Best Director category be abolished and instead, have the director and producer accept the Oscar for Best Picture.

Anyone agree with this sentiment?
Not I. You can have a great chef in a mediocre restaraunt or vice versa. Besides, who wants to share?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."

Return to “The 8th Decade”