Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

In Bruges (Martin McDonagh, 2008) 4/10
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

The Edge of Heaven 9/10
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
jack
Assistant

Post by jack »

The Reader - 6/10

I've now seen all the nominated Best Picture's.

In order I'd say:

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Frost/Nixon
3. Milk
4. The Reader
5. Benjamin Button
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Star Wars, Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

7/10

Fun. The best episode of the first three. Hayden Christensen is unbelievable. He was so horrible in Star Wars and so good in Life as a House. Come ooon. Not good.
McDiarmid is great. Some great moments, some very lame.

Spectacular effects.

And that's all.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

The Reader 2/10
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

In case anyone was looking to start in on 2009 films, do not bother with The Unborn...it is horrible in every sense.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
dreaMaker
Assistant

Post by dreaMaker »

Revolutionary Road
9/10
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Vicky Cristina Barcelona (Woody Allen) 5/10

Last of the major Oscar contenders for me to catch up with.

Picture postcard views of Barcelona and other Spanish locales do not a movie make. The most horrid intrusive narration of any film within memory destroys what might have otherwise been merely okay. The two leads, Rebecca Hall and Scarlet Johanssen seem to both be channeling Diane Keaton in Annie Hall with their hair twirling, shrugs and often hesitant speech while Chris Messina does the Woody Allen/Tony Roberts combo. Only Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz offer something new for Allen - the bohemian artist and the crazy wife. Cruz is good but one note.

Edited By Big Magilla on 1232629154
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

The High and the Mighty 6/10

Dance of Death (1969, 1979 in the U.S.) 7/10

The direction has nothing to offer, since this is not much more than a filmed performance of the play by Strindberg by the National Theatre of Great Britain. But listening to August Strinberg's words from the great Laurence Olivier (in what he regarded to be his best film performance) is a real treat. Geraldine McEwan is also very good, although her acting seems a little odd in the beginning.

Edited By Cinemanolis on 1232625027
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

Monster (Patty Jenkins) 7.5/10
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Gran Torino - 5/10
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Faisons un Reve (1937) Sacha Guitry 5/10

I am making my way through Guitrys films from 1936-37 and this has been the most disappointing of the group. Really little more then a filmed play.

Cracked Up (1931) Edward Cline 5/10

Second rate comedy film with Edna May Oliver like I've never seen her before. Worth seeing for her alone.

Arsene Lupin (1932) Jack Conway 6/10

This owes a lot to the French silent serials from the period 1912 to 1916 in the way the that the cat and mouse game is played out between Arsene Lupin (John Barrymore) and Detective Guerchard (Lionel Barrymore). The Barrymore brothers are good though they are almost upstaged by the delightful Karen Morely.

Starting Out in the Evening (2007) Andrew Wagner 5/10

Though Frank Langella looks certain to gain an Oscar nomination later this week for Frost/Nixon he was more deserving in this. Lili Taylor is as always wonderful.

The Rocker (2008) Peter Cattaneo 2/10

I could never understand how Peter Cattaneo received a best director nomination for The Full Monty, enjoyable pieces of fluff that it was. He has since proven with his subsequent films (Lucky Break, Opal Dream and now this) what an dreary director he is who can't seem to pick a half decent script. This was such a bore with no engaging characters, totally ludicrous story line and plot developments.

Bride Wars (2009) Gary Winick 4/10

Typical lame studio comedy with a couple of good moments that help to make it at least watch-able. Kristen Johnston stole the film.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

I changed my 10/10 to mean Masterpiece rather than Perfection, since perfection will most likely never happen realistically.

11/10 Perfection.

I don't expect to see it utilized.

Note: In the realm of reviews, a four/five star system would work better. Since there are a lot more films in this thread from different eras, a more specific rating system is ideal for those picky guys that are just scrolling through.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

I think the 10 point system works pretty well, it gives you a broad range spectrum to work with. So with it....

Happy-Go-Lucky (Mike Leigh) 7/10

It started weak, but definitely built to a satisfying conclusion. I enjoyed Eddie Marsan's repressed character, wouldn't mind seeing an Oscar nod for him.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Forgetting Sarah Marshall 3/10
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."

Return to “Other Film Discussions”