Last Seen Movie - The Latest Movie You Have Seen; ratings

flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

cam wrote:Cruz will walk off with the Oscar.
She won't. She peaked too early and now it's almost anyone else's (even Magilla's diehard prediction of Henson is still in the running). I'm sticking with Davis.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Hustler wrote:Vicky Cristina Barcelona 5/10
Same old uncle Woody dares to tell us almost the same story again and again.
Altogether differ with you. We thought it charming, and an excellent addition to Allen's extensive ouevre. In addition, I think that Cruz will walk off with the Oscar. 8/10
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Vicky Cristina Barcelona 5/10
Same old uncle Woody dares to tell us almost the same story again and again.
barrybrooks8
Temp

Post by barrybrooks8 »

Kung Fu Panda 8/10

Starter for 10 4/10

Wanted 2.5/10

Anchorman 7.5/10

Napoleon Dynamite 8/10

Dr. Zhivago 8/10
"Jesus! Look at my hands! Now really, I am too young for liver spots. Maybe I can merge them together into a tan."
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

The Duchess

Competently made, immaculately designed, with absolutely no reason at all for existing. Seriously, why? Keira Knightley tries to emote, and tries to convey the inner turmoil of someone trapped in a loveless marriage, but as Sonic once said, she comes off as Californian. As someone who keeps getting cast in these period dramas, she still seems too modern to feel authentic, and she seems about as convincing as a mother as I would as an NFL linebacker. Who the hell decided she was a movie star? Dominic Cooper is a good actor, but he has no real character to play, and doesn't exhibit any of the charisma or charm he showed in BBC's adaptation of Sense and Sensibility last year. And I'm sorry, but I'm pretty much over Ralph Fiennes. His whole brooding European routine, effective in some cases, is almost comical here (and, to a lesser extent, in The Reader), and the wrong way to play this character. Yes the costumes are good, and the sets are eye-catching. It has a nice romantic score, too. But it's all in service of something with the substance of a marshmallow.

Edited By dws1982 on 1233549017
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

Rachel Getting Married- 8/10

This is still resonating with me long after I've seen it...I thoroughly enjoyed this picture. Count me in the Bill Irwin is luminescent camp. I'd nominate the hell out of Demme's direction.

Vicky Cristina Barcelona- 4/10

This just kind of goes along in its ridiculousness...however, coming so many months late to the party, I had been expecting a much bigger trainwreck.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Yes, I've seen the Duplicity trailer about four times now, but the Sunshine Cleaning trailer only once.

The worst of all time was Juno: I saw that trailer before practically every movie between September to December of 2007. At least 20 times. I wanted to throw something at the screen when it came on.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Franz Ferdinand
Adjunct

Post by Franz Ferdinand »

The Clones of Bruce Lee (no idea) 1/10

One of those movies that seems to be a "so bad it's good" type, but became just bad. It was part of a 5-disc pack of 20 martial movies from the 70s (at the steep price of $5), with everything wrong about it (literally everything, even the framing - when two men fight, you want to see them, not the space in between). Had a few laughs, but....wow.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

24 CITY (Jia Zhangke, 08): ***
COLLATERAL (Michael Mann, 04): **½
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Big Magilla wrote:Eric, your facts in your Slant review of The Stewardesses are a bit off.
Not quite. I do have it down as the 1969 version in the factoids section. I merely note that the film (or a form of it) topped box-office charts in 1971. For rhetorical purposes, I use 1971 as a sort of tipping-point year in discussing it.

(And, as one of the guys on the extra features says, the movie was basically a work-in-progress for its entire run.)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Damien wrote:
dws1982 wrote:Also saw, for the millionth time (actually only the third or fourth, but once was too much), the trailer for that Julia Roberts and Clive Owen thing, Duplicity. It's one of those trailers I hate--it seems so sure of how charming and intelligent and funny it is, and how explosive the chemistry between its stars is. I've never been so sick of a trailer.

I'm so sick of it, too -- especially the scene with the thong. It's why I bring my iPod with me to the movies -- so I don't have to endure the same goddamn hideous trailers again and again (during the year I don't go to multiplexes much, but in Oscar season it's unavoidable and it's a hideous experience, from seeing the same trailers and commercials to the audiences which have reached new heights of rudeness).

But as bad as Duplicity's trailer is, it's not as noisome as the one about the woman who runs a cleaning company "from the creators of Little Miss Sunshine." (I have no recall of it's title.)
My sentiments exactly regarding Duplicity.

The film from two of the producers of Little Miss Sunshine is called Sunshine Cleaning and has nothing at all to do with Little Miss Sunshine. It stars Amy Adams and Emily Blunt and is directed by Chrstine Jeffs whose last film was the Sylvia Plath biopic, Sylvia.

I must be doing something right because I've only seen that particular trailer once.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Precious Doll wrote:Personal Best (1982) Robert Townie 10/10 (Repeat viewing)

I saw this a number of times in the early 1980's and this my first viewing since then. It holds up very well and still remains one of cinema's best sport films ever.
Along with Mary Stuart Masterson, Mariel Hemingway tapped great guns into whatever heterosexual tendencies I have.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

dws1982 wrote:Also saw, for the millionth time (actually only the third or fourth, but once was too much), the trailer for that Julia Roberts and Clive Owen thing, Duplicity. It's one of those trailers I hate--it seems so sure of how charming and intelligent and funny it is, and how explosive the chemistry between its stars is. I've never been so sick of a trailer.

I'm so sick of it, too -- especially the scene with the thong. It's why I bring my iPod with me to the movies -- so I don't have to endure the same goddamn hideous trailers again and again (during the year I don't go to multiplexes much, but in Oscar season it's unavoidable and it's a hideous experience, from seeing the same trailers and commercials to the audiences which have reached new heights of rudeness).

But as bad as Duplicity's trailer is, it's not as noisome as the one about the woman who runs a cleaning company "from the creators of Little Miss Sunshine." (I have no recall of its title.)

Edited By Damien on 1233475636
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Personal Best (1982) Robert Townie 10/10 (Repeat viewing)

I saw this a number of times in the early 1980's and this my first viewing since then. It holds up very well and still remains one of cinema's best sport films ever.

Milk (2008) Gus Van Sant 8/10

I recall posting on the board when this production was first announced that I was disappointed with the casting of Sean Penn, who I didn't think was suitable for the role. It's great to be proven so wrong in what is his best performance to date.

Great period detail and very good performances from the entire cast.

Tents Cents a Dime (1931) Lionel Barrymore 4/10
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

I've managed to run into that one over and over myself. I want to believe, because it's Tony Gilroy, it has some vague substance, but nothing in the trailer offers much hope.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”