The American Idol 2008 Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

flipp525 wrote:
Zahveed wrote:Anonymous, you just have a crazy crush on the kid.

I wasn't going to say anything but, well, yeah. I agree.
I have to agree, anonymous, that some of your defensive remarks concerning Archuletta's father seem to arrise out of your emotional attachment to david himself. I like him, too. He's a good singer. He's cute, for a young guy. But we have to be able to separate our perceptions from the reality. Apparently his father is overbearing. Hopefully David will decide to cut him loose as far as his career is concerned. Otherwise he may well fade into obsurity like so many young stars.

So I'm with you in rooting for David A. to win, but I don't think we should dismiss the damage his father could do to his career and future.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

That kid's dad is scary.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

For once I feel bad for the kid. He got all that credit for changing the lyric to one found in a film and it turned out to be his father's idea.

Father Of 'Idol' Top-Three Finalist Booted Out Of Rehearsals

Jeff Archuleta, the father of American Idol top-three finalist David Archuleta, has been banned from attending rehearsals, published reports said Friday, citing a person working for the show. The report, which originally appeared on the gossip website TMZ.com, claimed that producers made their decision after Jeff Archuleta's decision to change lyrics of a song his son performed Tuesday night resulted in the program's incurring additional music clearance costs.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

anonymous wrote:It's still sad that the media is taking a glee in tearing this kid down.
It's not sad. Kids in Hollywood get torn apart all the time. It comes with the territory. You can't expect anyone to gain very much respect when your big break is a reality show on Fox. Plus, it's easy to tear this kid down because of his safe and unintimidating persona mixed with cheestastic singing.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

anonymous wrote:Psssh.

Whether or not his dad is a douche bag is beside the point. I still like the little guy and I love his music. I still think he's very talented. I'm still rooting for him to win and have a fruitful music career.

It's still sad that the media is taking a glee in tearing this kid down.
I can't imagine why any adult would have such a fixation on someone who looks like he's 12.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

flipp525 wrote:
anonymous wrote:
dws1982 wrote:What were you saying about him not being that bad, anonymous?

Here's what doesn't make sense to me: If Jeff Archuleta really is that terrible of a stage father who really wants his son to win, why would he risk earning the ire of TPTB by going behind their backs and made David sing that line? I don't think anyone is that dumb.

Dude, you're starting reach criddic-levels of denial. And it's sad to just sit here, watching it happen.
Psssh.

Whether or not his dad is a douche bag is beside the point. I still like the little guy and I love his music. I still think he's very talented. I'm still rooting for him to win and have a fruitful music career.

It's still sad that the media is taking a glee in tearing this kid down.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

anonymous wrote:

Here's what doesn't make sense to me: If Jeff Archuleta really is that terrible of a stage father who really wants his son to win, why would he risk earning the ire of TPTB by going behind their backs and made David sing that line? I don't think anyone is that dumb.
Dude, you're starting reach criddic-levels of denial. And it's sad to just sit here, watching it happen.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

FYI: While I don't believe his dad is a saint or a candidate for Father of the Year, I still think much of the image the media chose to portray him as is slightly sensationalized. I don't think he harasses other contestants, for example nor do I think Archie was forced into this. Strict, overbearing and pushy? Yes, I believe that.

Edited By anonymous on 1210402797
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

TMZ (which has a source for Idol info that has been very accurate all season) is reporting that Daddy Archuleta has been banned from everything at Idol except the live shows.

What were you saying about him not being that bad, anonymous?

TMZ has learned David Archuleta's dad, Jeff, has been officially banned from "American Idol."

Here's how it went down. "Idol" sources tell TMZ Jeff has been a complete pain in the ass, interfering with the entire production. He has badgered producers, the band, vocal coaches and even other contestants. The final straw came this week, when Jeff wanted to change the lyrics to David's first song, "Stand By Me." Jeff insisted on adding a verse from Sean Kingston's hit, "Beautiful Girls." Producers sent him an e-mail telling him the lyrics could not be changed. They were beyond pissed when David sang the song with Kingston's lyrics during the live show.

We're told by changing the lyrics, it created problems with the song's publisher and cost "A.I." a lot of money.

Jeff was ordered to sit with "A.I." lawyers on Wednesday, who told him he was "banned from being in the rooms where David was learning or rehearsing his songs." It's "Idol's" position, since David is 17, he does not need a guardian -- just a teacher. Jeff will be allowed to sit in the audience during the live show but he's 86'd from anything backstage.

Sources say the other contestants were fed up with Jeff and didn't want him near them. Now they have their wish.

All in all, sources say Jeff is the stage dad from hell. BTW, he was banned on the set when David did "Star Search" a few years back.

Edited By dws1982 on 1210387169
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Zahveed wrote:Anonymous, you just have a crazy crush on the kid.
I wasn't going to say anything but, well, yeah. I agree.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Anonymous, you just have a crazy crush on the kid.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

dws1982 wrote:Dozens of articles have been written about how horribly his father has behaved behind the scenes, publicly reducing his son to tears over performance mistakes, etc.

I think those articles are, at the very least, slightly exaggerated. I haven't heard much of anything from reliable first-hand accounts from people who actually know them (like from fellow contestants, friends and family members) that there's anything bad going on. Why, that story about him threatening David's Star Search competitor has been debunked (his alleged victim came out and denied it ever happened). While I can believe he's a strict dad and takes a very active part in his son's performances, I doubt he's anywhere near as bad as they say he is.

I just think he's beyond boring and has been coasting through the entire finals, basically giving the same performance every single week.

Personally, except for a few performances here and there, I do not find him boring at all. Yes, except for a couple of performances, I don't think he's coasting. I can really see him struggling to improve himself: He's no longer licking his lips as often, he's not gasping his breath in between verses too often and he keeps his eyes open more often too.

Edited By anonymous on 1210267992
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

Jason was hilarious last night. You have to hand it to him, he's a good sport. He was expecting this for a long time and he was happy to finally to get out of the competition.

Quote of the season: "I can't even get two songs I picked out right. They have to do three songs next week, I don't know what I would."
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Dozens of articles have been written about how horribly his father has behaved behind the scenes, publicly reducing his son to tears over performance mistakes, etc.

I don't have it in for the boy. He seems nice (I really liked that he didn't just stand by silently Tuesday when the judges trashed Jason in order to build him up, and instead defended Jason) and he has a decent voice. I just think he's beyond boring and has been coasting through the entire finals, basically giving the same performance every single week.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

dws1982 wrote:David Archuleta is still a performer-bot controlled by his overbearing stage father. He seems like a nice kid, and talented but he needs to break free of the dad as soon as he turns eighteen.
How exactly do you know this about his father? You seemingly have had it in for this boy for awhile.

Return to “Broadcast Media”