Golden Globe Nominations

1998 through 2007
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

And a thought on the TV Nominees:

Network TV got SCHOOLED by cable...This is the first time that cable's done better in the non-movie categories than the networks.

stomped the yard, did they?
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
dylanfan23
Temp

Post by dylanfan23 »

The complete absense of once and the absense of into the wild in the main catorgories was the biggest shockers for me...and i have to say dissappointments. 7 nominations in drama...i haven't seen the great debaters...american gangster i thought was flawed but i liked more than most so i'm fine with that....i liked eastern promises but it was even more flawed and has no place here in my opinion but they loved history of violence too..but that one deserved the love. Blanchetts nomination for elizabeth is horrible, its an ok performance in a horrible film.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And a thought on the TV Nominees:

Network TV got SCHOOLED by cable...This is the first time that cable's done better in the non-movie categories than the networks.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Here they are...from Variety's site:

Original Song:
"Despedida" - Love in the Time of Cholera
"Grace Is Gone" - Grace Is Gone
"Guaranteed" - Into the Wild
"That's How You Know" - Enchanted
"Walk Hard" - Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

They have a chimp typing 2 words a minute over at the HFPA website posting the nominees (have they ever heard of cut-and-paste?). So, probably sometime around 9 or shortly there after the song nods should be up.
Wesley Lovell
criddic3
Tenured

Post by criddic3 »

a foxnews article lists a song each from Grace is Gone, Walk Hard and Into the Wild so far.
"Because here’s the thing about life: There’s no accounting for what fate will deal you. Some days when you need a hand. There are other days when we’re called to lend a hand." -- President Joe Biden, 01/20/2021
Bog
Assistant

Post by Bog »

No PTA or Jonny Greenwood, and lots of love for American Gangster is a shame, my guess would have been that if anything, PTA would take a spot from another Best Picture film's director...could it be he's the odd director out...

Mike Nichols last film Closer was also all over the Globes and even got him a nom I'm pretty certain, so I am with anonymous, not likely to translate except maybe for Hoffman
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

OscarGuy wrote:I can't wait anymore. I have to go to work.
And I have to go back to sleep. This wasn't worth getting up early for.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Who wrote the MSNBC piece? A newswriter or a hack from the HFPA. How many more years are they going to cling to the notion that they were responsible for Swank's first win and brag about last year when any other awards organization could say the same thing?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

From MSNBC:

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- The British historical romance "Atonement" led the competition Thursday for the Golden Globes with seven nominations, among them best drama and acting honors for Keira Knightley and James McAvoy.

"Charlie Wilson's War" and "Michael Clayton" had the early lead with two nods each.

Julia Roberts and Philip Seymour Hoffman were nominated for supporting roles in "Charlie Wilson's War," and Tilda Swinton and Tom Wilkinson got the same for "Michael Clayton."

Among big contenders were the crime saga "No Country for Old Men" and the historical drama "There Will Be Blood." Both have been anointed by major critics groups.

The Golden Globes, the second-biggest film honors after the Academy Awards, has a category for best comedy or musical along with best drama, so Johnny Depp's bloody musical "Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street" could get an Oscar boost Thursday.

Days before the Globe nominations, Joel and Ethan Coen's "No Country for Old Men" was picked by the New York Film Critics Circle as the year's best film, while Paul Thomas Anderson's "There Will Be Blood" earned the same honor from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association.

Both groups picked "There Will Be Blood" star Daniel Day-Lewis as best actor, while the New York critics gave their supporting-actor prize to Javier Bardem for "No Country for Old Men."

Complicating this latest season of Hollywood backslapping is a strike by the Writers Guild of America, whose members walked off the job in November over their share of potential profits from programming distributed over the Internet.

Many awards shows are written under guild contract, so it remains unclear how the strike might affect the ceremonies.

Presented by the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, a relatively small group of about 85 people who cover show business for overseas media, the Golden Globes nevertheless exert considerable influence on awards season.

Globe voters often call attention to smaller films and performances that might have gone overlooked come Oscar time.

In 1999, Annette Bening looked like the favorite to win the best-actress Oscar for "American Beauty" until Hilary Swank emerged as the winner for best dramatic actress at the Globes for "Boys Don't Cry." Swank went on to win the Oscar over Bening on Oscar night.

Three of the four acting winners for the 2006 Oscars — Helen Mirren for "The Queen," Forest Whitaker for "The Last King of Scotland" and Jennifer Hudson for "Dreamgirls" — won at the Globes beforehand. The only miss was Eddie Murphy, who won the supporting-actor Globe for "Dreamgirls" but lost at the Oscars to Alan Arkin for "Little Miss Sunshine."

Director Martin Scorsese also preceded his best-director Oscar win for "The Departed" with the same prize at the Globes.

While either the best drama or musical-comedy winner at the Globes often goes on to win the best-picture Oscar, the two awards shows have picked different films for their top honors in the last three years.

"Babel" was the dramatic winner and "Dreamgirls" was the musical or comedy champ a year ago at the Globes, but come Oscar night, Scorsese's "The Departed" triumphed.

Golden Globe winners will be announced Jan. 13, nine days before Oscar nominations. The Oscars will be presented Feb. 24.

The Globes feature 14 categories for film and 11 for television. Steven Spielberg will receive the Globes' Cecil B. DeMille Award for lifetime achievement.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I can't wait anymore. I have to go to work. Original Song will be posted as soon as I see it.
Wesley Lovell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

MSNBC is reporting Atonement leads with 7 nominations; Charlie Wilson's War is in second place with 5 nods.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

I think Charlie Wilson's War is a Globe fluke. It will probably get completely shut-out come awards night and will probably only get one or two noms at the Oscars.

It reminds me strongly of The American President (also written by Aaron Sorkin, btw). Got 5 Globe nods but got shut-out and only got in for Score at the Oscars.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Animation:
Bee Movie
Ratatouille
The Simpsons Movie

Original Score:
Into the Wild
Grace Is Gone
The Kite Runner
Atonement
Eastern Promises
Wesley Lovell
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

Philip Seymour Hoffman but not Laura Linney for The Savages is disappointing.

So they genuinely thought Travolta was nomination worthy and Hal Holbrook wasn't? In fact, Into the Wild has been royally shafted here but I still suspect the oscars wuill go for it.

Return to “The 8th Decade”