79th Academy Awards Winners

1998 through 2007
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Time for an update.

Best Picture - Little Miss Sunshine

My initial thought was that with no Dreamgirls to push, Dreamworks would be all over Letters From Iwo Jima, but neither Dreamworks nor Warners has done anything and the film has yet to make $10 million. On top of that, Warners dumped the film's companion piece, Flags of Our Fathers, on DVD with no frills and little fanfare. Meanwhile the little bus that could keeps going and going...

Actor - Peter O'Toole, Venus

Still a gamble, but do they really want to hear Forest Whitaker thank his ancestors again? The comment has been made that Philip Seymour Hoffman last year was as inarticulate as a homeless person. Do they want to have two in a row? Seems like a silly reason not to vote for someone, but Oscars have been lost for less. And O'Toole is more than overdue.

Actress - Helen Mirren, The Queen

Duh!

Supporting Actor - Alan Arkin, Little Miss Sunshine

I initially thought Jackie Earle Haley would get more love but the consensus seems to be that the nomination is his reward. Eddie Murphy's front-runner status may still pull him through, but methinks they will not want to give LMS jsut the big one, they will want to show widespread support for it and this and screenplay are the only two categories where they can do that. Those with logn memories will be happy to see the two best actors of 1968 (Arkin and O'Toole) finally nodded while Cliff Robertson nods off somewhere in the Valley.

Supporting Actress - Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls

Double duh!

Director - Martin Scorsese, The Departed

Triple duh!

Foreign Language Film - Pan's Labyrinth, Mexico

The Lives of Others could upset, but Mexico has had such a great year it will be hard to deny it.

Adapted Screenplay - The Departed

To keep Marty company.

Original Screenplay - Little Miss Sunshine

If it could beat The Queen at the BAFTAs is there any stopping it?

Animated Feature Film - Cars

Monster House was better, but this thing was more popular.

Art Direction - Pan's Labyrinth

The year's most imagitive won't go unrewarded.

Cinematography - Children of Men

Should win, and will.

Sound Mixing -Dreamgirls

One of four awards it is still likely to get.

Sound Editing - Letters From Iwo Jima

Its only hope.

Original Score - The Queen, Alexandre Desplat.

He should have been nominated for The Painted Veil, but the double whammy should put him over for this instead.

Original Song - "Listen" from Dreamgirls.

The most likely of the film's three nominated songs to be singled out.

Costume - Dreamgirls

What else?

Documentary Feature - An Inconvenient Truth

Will bring a smile to the lips of Hollywood's liberal elite.

Film Editing - United 93

The only place they will honor this film.

Makeup - Pan's Labyrinth

The only possible choice here.

Animated Short Film - The Little Matchgirl

Old fashioned animated drawing wins the day.

Live Action Short Film - Binta and the Great Idea (Binta Y La Gran Idea)

No clue, but sounds like the kind of uplifting short they usually reward.

Visual Effects - Superman Returns

The best of the nominees.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

flipp525 wrote:I feel like anyone could take Best Supporting Actor this year. Even Mark Wahlberg. Sure there are some favorites at this point but it's the most open race.
Yep. I agree. Arkin could be the surprise winner.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

LA Daily News

O'Toole's favorite year?
Peter O' Toole on vanity, romance and that ever-elusive Oscar
By Bob Strauss, Film Writer
U-Entertainment
Article Last Updated:02/08/2007 06:23:21 PM PST
Peter O'Toole paid a rare visit to L.A. from his London home this week, receiving a standing ovation at the Academy Award nominees luncheon Monday and proving, during an interview the following day that rumors he's unwell are wildly exaggerated.

His handshake like an iron clamp and pale blue eyes flickering with mischief, the 74-year-old Irish actor was full of laughs, droll banter and energetic enthusiasm as he looked back on his career and talked about his latest film, "Venus," which has earned him his eighth best actor Oscar nomination. The others were for "Lawrence of Arabia" (1962), "Becket" (1964), "The Lion in Winter" (1968), "Goodbye, Mr. Chips" (1969), "The Ruling Class" (1972), "The Stunt Man" (1980) and "My Favorite Year" (1982).

O'Toole has yet to win one of the statuettes, although he did receive an honorary Oscar in 2003. And while one doesn't want to go the cliched "If there's any justice ..." route, his work in "Venus" may well be the richest, most complete characterization he's ever put on film. His elderly journeyman actor Maurice, though in fragile health, exudes a fun-loving lifetime's worth of sophistication, passion and irresponsible self-centeredness as he lusts after a colleague's uncouth grand-niece, played by talented newcomer Jodie Whittaker. Pervy as that may sound, O'Toole brings such tenderness, understanding and self-effacing hilarity to the role that you can't help but feel for the naughty old geezer.

Whatever you do, though, don't call it the crowning achievement of O'Toole's own, indulgently celebrated life in the theater and cinema.

It would be foolish to say he's just getting started. Never much of an egotist, he has no problem acknowledging the limitations of age.

But as he said when they first offered him that honorary Oscar, O'Toole is still in the game, and it would be even more foolish to bet that there isn't a lot of great work to come.

Q: Maurice is such a wonderfully detailed character. Was it all on the page, or did you bring a lot of your own ideas to the piece?

A: For me, now as it was in the beginning, everything is the script. Good parts make good actors. If you find a good part that's also in a very good script, then you've struck gold, and it needs (to) be done ­ done as well as possible. The fact that we have the same job, Maurice and me, that's about all. There are no other connections that I can see. But then again, I never can.

Q: Nevertheless, many people are interpreting the film as a kind of summing up of Peter O'Toole's life and work.

A: Well, it's inevitable. And I'm delighted that people do. In my view, our business is about that kind of pretending. Other than people in the profession who would know that there's such a thing as a part and me, and the two aren't related; isn't that the whole point of fiction? I mean, it's life imitating art and all that.

Q: Could you see yourself ending up as an actor scraping by from job to job like Maurice, though, if David Lean hadn't havetapped you to play T.E. Lawrence?

A: No. I was doing very well, thank you, before "Lawrence of Arabia." I'd made a few movies. I was leading the company at Stratford. I was only 27 ­ I was playing Shylock, Petruchio. I was doing all right. And if that sounds in any way dismissive, I don't mean it to. "Lawrence of Arabia" was a once-in-a-lifetime, great experience.

Q: Do tell.

A: I loved doing it, tough as it was. And it was tough. Sometimes the heat hurt. But we were a wonderful company ­ and in the hardest possible conditions. We did film in Arabia, and we were at one point 400 miles away from the nearest water, to give you an idea.

But David Lean had said to me on the very first day, "Well Pete, off you go on a great adventure." And I had not done that many movies, so I did look upon it that way, and all the hardships and various difficulties of filming in the desert did make it an adventure.

Working between the Red Sea and what they called the Kings' Highway that ran through the Middle East, it's a place packed with history.

Not only biblicalbut crusader history, World War I I'd have books about it sent to location from England.It was just terrific. And then, having endured nine months in the desert, the rest was easy.

Q: There was so much comment back then about your looks. You were called beautiful at least as often as handsome. A young photo of you is even referenced that way in "Venus." So how do you get through all that without ending up totally vain?

A: Have you ever known anybody who thought they were beautiful? I've worked with some of the most beautiful women in the world, and they have no confidence in their looks at all. Yes, I was dubbed Bubbles when I was a little boy because I had long curly hair. It was a bore when I was 16, 17, 18. A bore! But I went to the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts when I was 21, and there were plenty of beautiful people around, so ... thank you very much, indeed! My dresser goes potty because I never look at myself in the mirror, and I am a slob. He's always having to wipe cream off my cheek as we tramp along the corridor.

Q: In "Venus," were you So you weren'tfreaked out to play a frail old bloke who's facing his own mortality?

A: On the contrary, it rejuvenates. Good work, doing a good job with it ­ I was like a child. "Venus" doesn't meditate on mortality, it expresses it, you see it in action. And another thing is, it is terribly funny.

Q: We ask because of reports that you've been too ill to come to L.A. for a lot of the awards season nonsense.

Oh, I'm fine. I was just exhausted. Listen, I've been reading newspapers about me, and it's like "Good morning. How interesting!" It's all rubbish. What happened was, I was absolutely, top-to-bottom exhausted. It has been a difficult few years, in terms of all manner of things. But it was nothing to do with "Venus.

Q: We know you broke a hip during the production's 2005 Christmas hiatus. But you're obviously healthy enough to have recovered quickly.

A: It's very funny, actually. About 18 months ago, a doctor gave me a bit of a lecture about cigarettes and drinking ­ the usual. Then he said, "What do you do for exercise?"

Well, I've never exercised in my life. I've often said that the only exercise I take is following the coffins of friends who took exercise.

So he said, "Well, exercise." So I went to an indoor school of cricket and joined in with international pros. I did all their routines for six weeks and came out feeling wonderful.

Anyway, we were filming away and came Boxing Day. Now, normally on Boxing Day or any day I'm not working ­ or any day at all, for that matter ­ it takes me a long time to wake up. One nasty eye opens and gazes at this unfriendly world. It takes me an hour to get one foot out of the covers. I have an enormous, good cough, feel dreadful, then slowly but surely putter toward the bathroom. So came this Boxing Day morning. I woke up and went, "Oh, we're not shooting, it's Christmas. How lovely!" Popped out of bed and tripped over a pair of shoes, busted my hip. But it was OK. I was walking in 48 hours.

Q: And now you're running your eighth Oscar race. Do you feel like you've proven something after receiving that honorary award that you thought you were too young for?

A: Well, I thought it was a bit premature. But there's no sense of vindication now, not at all. Listen, that was a confusion of messages that went to and fro, a confusion which has now been taken on as fact. I did say I am still in the game. But it was pointed out to me by my children that there was no higher honor in the film business than to be given an honorary Academy Award. So I cameand I loved itI enjoyed every second of it. Then along came this and ha ha here we go!

Q: How do you like your chances this year?

A: Well, my expectations are low, so I can hardly be disappointed too much. I've learned the hard way.

Q: As long as we're considering past lessons, is there anything you wish you'd done differently? Or hadn't done, perhaps involving too much liquor?

A: No. Look, I do have the odd thing that is regrettable. But I don't regret one drop. People get it wrong, you know. They think you're some sort of dreary drunk, hanging around bars. It was merely a fuel for what we were doing. Solitary drinking doesn't interest me, it never has done, and it never will. Give me a dance, or give me some fun or whatever.

I've finally learned, though, in my septuagenarian wisdom, to pace myself. Ha ha ha ha ha!

Q: What about women these days? Seeing anyone steadily?

A: No I'm not. I'm footloose and fancy free.

Q: So you're playing the field?

A: Should the field open up in my direction, I might just gently tiptoe through the clover.

Q: Beside, um, that, is there anything that you haven't accomplished that you would have liked to, or might still do?

A: As a young man, I wanted to play King Lear. But King Lear takes a lot of puff, and if you don't play him before you're 45, 50, you're never going to get through it. But that's about the only thing I've wanted to do that I haven't. The rest? Listen, I've done it, and I'm very, very pleased. I've been enormously fortunate, and I've enjoyed a great deal of it.

And I continue to enjoy it. My best years may be yet to come!
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:
Hustler wrote:
Penelope wrote:the last truly exciting acting race was Best Actor in '02.

I didn´t find that Oscar race exciting at all. There were the same actors than usual, with the exception of Adrian Brody. I missed the snub of Sam Rockwell.

I meant that it was the last exciting race because it was the last one that had any real suspense. Since then, the acting races have been entirely suspenseless. Next year, I hope we have the acting races as up in the air as this year's Picture race, where any of the nominees could win.
IN 2000 there was a huge dosis of suspense whan Steven Soderbergh was awarded. Everyone started to think That Traffic would be the winner.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I feel like anyone could take Best Supporting Actor this year. Even Mark Wahlberg. Sure there are some favorites at this point but it's the most open race.

Edited By flipp525 on 1171074042
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hustler wrote:

I didn´t find that Oscar race exciting at all. There were the same actors than usual, with the exception of Adrian Brody. I missed the snub of Sam Rockwell.
I meant that it was the last exciting race because it was the last one that had any real suspense. Since then, the acting races have been entirely suspenseless. Next year, I hope we have the acting races as up in the air as this year's Picture race, where any of the nominees could win.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Greg wrote:By the way, I feel more blah about this years Oscars than any time since I've followed them. Does anyone else feel the same way?
I'm pretty blah about it as well. It's frustrating, more than anything else, that the acting races have become so set in stone so quickly these past few years; the last truly exciting acting race was Best Actor in '02. Add in the fact that so few of my favorites in the acting races, and none of my favorites in Picture/Director, are competing. And the continuing anger over the Hilary Swank/Crash débacles....
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Precious Doll wrote:I've felt that way for way over a decade now. Though this years nominees are slightly better then the all time low of the quality of most of last years nominees.
I'm not sure I agree with this at all. While the Best Actress category was certainly slim pickings (Reese's June Carter Cash would've had a hard time even been nominated this year), I thought that last year's Best Actor lineup was unusually strong. Best Supporting Actress was filled with some of my favorite performances of the year and the Academy's inclusion of Jake Gyllenhaal and William Hurt in Best Supporting Actor was inspired.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

Greg wrote:By the way, I feel more blah about this years Oscars than any time since I've followed them. Does anyone else feel the same way?
I've felt that way for way over a decade now. Thouugh this years nominees are slightly better then the all time low of the quality of most of last years nominees.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Picture: Babel
Director: Martin Scorsese, The Departed
Original Screenplay: Peter Morgan, The Queen
Adapted Screenplay: William Monahan, The Departed
Lead Actor: Peter O'Toole, Venus
Lead Actress: Helen Mirren, The Queen
Supporting Actor: Eddie Murphy, Dreamgirls
Supporting Actress: Jennifer Hudson, Dreamgirls
Foreign Language Film: Pan's Labyrinth, Mexico
Documentary Feature: An Inconvenient Truth
Animated Feature: Cars
Documentary Short Subject: Rehearsing A Dream
Animated Short Subject: No Time For Nuts
Live Action Short Subject: West Bank Story
Original Song: "Love You I Do," Dreamgirls
Original Score: Babel
Cinematography: Children Of Men
Film Editing: Babel
Sound Mixing: Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Art Direction: Pan's Labyrinth
Costume Design: Marie Antoinette
Visual Effects: Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Sound Editing: Letters From Iwo Jima
Makeup: Apocalypto

By the way, I feel more blah about this years Oscars than any time since I've followed them. Does anyone else feel the same way?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Hustler wrote:Academy Voters don´t need to award O´Toole this time. They are completely relaxed cause he was honored 4 years ago.

Mmm, that doesn't mean anything... back in 1987 Paul Newman had 7 prior nominations without any win and he had received his Honorary Award just a year before! And you know what... O'Toole has 7 previous nominations and Newman is an example (a rare one of course) that a recent Honorary Award doesn't stop academy members...
Actually Paul Newman won on his seventh nomination. He had 6 previous nominations and two subsequent ones for his total of 9.

Al Pacino was nominated jointly for the seventh and eighth time when he won on the eighth opening of an envelope after his name was read as a nominee.

Geraldine Page is the only performer who was nominated in seven previous years when she won on her 8th nomination. However, it should be noted that four of Page's nominations were for supporting roles. O'Toole already held the record for the most nominations in a lead category without a win as one of Richard Burton's seven nominations was in support. He broke his own record this year.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
Hustler wrote:Academy Voters don´t need to award O´Toole this time. They are completely relaxed cause he was honored 4 years ago.

Mmm, that doesn't mean anything... back in 1987 Paul Newman had 7 prior nominations without any win and he had received his Honorary Award just a year before! And you know what... O'Toole has 7 previous nominations and Newman is an example (a rare one of course) that a recent Honorary Award doesn't stop academy members...
But Paul Newman had weak contenders this year (Dexter Gordon, William Hurt, already a winner the year before, James Woods, the dark horse of that category, and the favorite Bob Hoskins) This is not the same scenario.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

cam wrote:and I am sure that someone here will refer to some of those acceptance speeches that were more or less worse than Whitaker's. Probably the worste was Roberto Benigni.
By default, any acceptance speech by Hilary Swank is automatically the worst.

Return to “The 8th Decade”