No votes
1/2 *
No votes
3%

Total votes: 37

Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Damien wrote:I've hung out with Ed Gonzalez a number of times -- as has Eric -- and believe me Ed is 100% comfortable with being gay.
Well, I wouldn't go that far. I don't think it's possible to be 100 percent comfortable with being gay ... I mean, without being totally insipid.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Just finished re-reading it. What a masterful last section. I can't wait to see how they pull it off.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

I didn't mean that and anyway I wasn't referring only to this critic - it was more general.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

I've hung out with Ed Gonzalez a number of times -- as has Eric -- and believe me Ed is 100% comfortable with being gay.

Edited By Damien on 1196899870
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

flipp525 wrote:I loved The Hours.

Oh THANK GOD! I was beginning to think we might never disagree again and that I'd never be able to shake my head at your affinity for bad films. :p

Yeah someone mentioned to me a while back that Ed Gonzalez posted here (was it you, Eric?) but I don't think he's done so since I've been on the board. Unless it was over the summer when I was in Japan.

Edited By Akash on 1196881530
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I loved The Hours.

Akash, you know that Ed Gonzalez is occasionally on this board, right? He posts as The Apostle.

Edited By flipp525 on 1196881608
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:
Akash wrote:Ed Gonzalez doesn't care for it.

Would anyone have expected otherwise?

To be fair to Ed, he was the first one out of the gate to call bullshit on The Hours back in 2002 when all the other middlebrow critics were salivating over its hideously pretentious dialogue and Oscar-baiting, and the NBR gave it their top prize (just as they might with Atonement) -- a combination that seemed to guarantee its Best Picture (Drama) finish at the Globes and nomination at the Oscars. Turned out Ed was right -- the film was everything Virginia Woolf would have hated.

Edited By Akash on 1196880796
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Re: Ooh, this is some of your best baiting in years. Bravo.

Mmm... no, I think I've done even better.

Edited By ITALIANO on 1196880406
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

For anyone who wants to sift through Ed Gonzalez's Brokeback Mountain review for -- what must be obvious to Marco -- traces that he really, truly loved it, here's the link http://www.slantmagazine.com/film/film_review.asp?ID=1927

For the record, I enjoy Ed's reviews. He's one of the smartest critics around. But I did disagree with him on Brokeback, and I'm not sure that Marco's claim about gay American critics is entirely mirthless. If only because the insane hype turned an other wise sweet, artful film into THE BIG GAY MOVIE and well, we saw a number of backlashes against the film that year.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

ITALIANO wrote:and while I can't agree with this Slant critic's approach (frigidity makes me always unconfortable, in bed and anywhere else, too),
Love it, Marco. LOVE IT.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

ITALIANO wrote:I think it's different. While Brokeback Mountain wasn't probably a perfect movie, still when you read a negative review or a negative comment from an American homosexual, between the lines you could clearly see that he had LOVED it - but couldn't admit it. To himself, even - I'm not saying that he was consciously lying. It was very interesting, and said alot about how (some) American gays still unfortunately perceives themselves - and homosexuality.
Ooh, this is some of your best baiting in years. Bravo.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

The Original BJ wrote:
Damien wrote:

I have a feeling that the people who shrugged at Brokeback Mountain will shrug equally at Atonement.
I think it's different. While Brokeback Mountain wasn't probably a perfect movie, still when you read a negative review or a negative comment from an American homosexual, between the lines you could clearly see that he had LOVED it - but couldn't admit it. To himself, even - I'm not saying that he was consciously lying. It was very interesting, and said alot about how (some) American gays still unfortunately perceives themselves - and homosexuality.

Atonement is another story. I can understand more easily why some might not like it - and while I can't agree with this Slant critic's approach (frigidity makes me always unconfortable, in bed and anywhere else, too), I can't deny that some points he makes - for example about the scene of the arrest played backwards - aren't wrong. I'm curioust to know what you all will think of the movie.

And yes, of course it's an epilogue, not a prologue.
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Uh-oh.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Damien wrote:

I have a feeling that the people who shrugged at Brokeback Mountain will shrug equally at Atonement.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell

Return to “2000 - 2007”