Tom Cruise is a real jerk

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

G W Pabst made an excellent nail biting version of the story in 1955, Es geschah am 20. Juli known in English language markets as either It Happened on July 20th or The Jackboot Mutiny
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
kaytodd
Assistant

Post by kaytodd »

Is this really a "Holocaust Film?" I think this film has promise. The plot to kill Hitler in 1944 would be an interesting subject for a film (There must have been others but I cannot think of them right now). Bryan Singer and Christopher McQuarrie have been involved in other films I liked (The Way Of The Gun was no masterpiece but I enjoyed it a lot.). If this film gets good reviews but tanks and the perception is that Cruise's involvement was a factor his career could be in real trouble. What does he do then? Who will invest big bucks in one of his future projects? Does he go the indie route?
The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving. It's faith in something and enthusiasm for something that makes a life worth living. Oliver Wendell Holmes
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Apparently Steep and Redford didn’t go to Tom’s award thingy at MOMA and they can’t stand him. Neither of them are promoting the movie and they don’t want to be near anywhere him. He’s so over.

Edited By flipp525 on 1195158774
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

flipp525 wrote:Frankly, I don’t think there’s anyone in Hollywood who has pathologized their own homosexuality to the extent that Tom Cruise has. It’s scary. He’s at a point where he’s simultaneously nurturing this interior, black, tar-like pit of self-loathing, while the “actor” in him still desperately tries to project himself as a sexually secure, straight man. Who is the real Tom Cruise? I don’t think even he knows anymore.

And I’m so over WW2/Holocaust/Hitler films for the time being. I’m just Holocaust-ed out. I need a break from all that. “Valkyrie” really has about zero appeal to me.
Yes, yes, yes! I couldn't agree more on both of these sentiments. Tom Cruise and Holocaust films. I'd be happy if we got at least a year off from both.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

flipp525 wrote:I’m just Holocaust-ed out.
That's something you don't hear/read very often.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

I think it’s probably a mixture of both poor choice in films and the audience’s disillusionment with his entire persona that's responsible for the failure of Lions for Lambs. In his personal life, nobody is buying this sham of a marriage with the Girl Formerly Known as Katie Holmes. He’s just really gone irrevocably ‘round the bend. I enjoyed him before I knew what a psycho he was. Now I can barely tolerate watching even a preview with him in it.

Frankly, I don’t think there’s anyone in Hollywood who has pathologized their own homosexuality to the extent that Tom Cruise has. It’s scary. He’s at a point where he’s simultaneously nurturing this interior, black, tar-like pit of self-loathing, while the “actor” in him still desperately tries to project himself as a sexually secure, straight man. Who is the real Tom Cruise? I don’t think even he knows anymore.

And I’m so over WW2/Holocaust/Hitler films for the time being. I’m just Holocaust-ed out. I need a break from all that. “Valkyrie” really has about zero appeal to me.

Edited By flipp525 on 1195138967
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

When I see Cruise now adays I can't help but think of the South Park episode "Trapped in the Closet". If he does become the "Christ" of Scientology it'll make that episode that much more amusing. I've never really been a Cruise fan myself, but he just gets more and more ridiculous.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

From MSNBC:

At this point, everybody knows just how successful Tom Cruise’s new film “Lions for Lambs” wasn’t, and thanks to the wonders of the Internet, we can already start judging his next film, “Valkyrie,” for ourselves.

The trailer hit the Web, and the collective response among industry insiders I spoke to was that this next flick isn’t going to fare well, either. “He isn’t making money in the theaters anymore, and considering that just about every penny that a movie makes has to go back to the actor, it makes it really tough for any films to make any money,” says one insider.

[This statement doesn't quite make sense to me--is it a roundabout way of saying the public's disillusionment with Tommy is why the films are flopping? To be fair, the failure of Lions For Lambs isn't entirely his fault--it just wasn't a good movie, apparently, and War On Terror films aren't doing very well in general right now. Combine that with Tommy's presence in the film and that's why you have a bomb.]
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

News is leaking that Katie Holmes is pregnant again.

If true, congratulations to the brainwashed couple!

(I guess leaking was not the correct term. More like "Katie blabbering to very selective news agencies."
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

TomKat on the Scientology prowl
Mar 23 11:38am

Tom Cruise, Scientology's biggest cheerleader, is desperate to get new BFF 'Dave' and 'Vic' onside when they move to LA in a few months. Tom has allegedly climbed ranks to harassment level in a bid to get the Beckhams to convert to Scientology, reportedly calling them 18 times in a single hour.

A source confirmed Tom's eagerness to Us Weekly, saying "Victoria is tired of Tom being on her back about Scientology. Victoria is an old-fashioned British woman who believes in God. She finds it quite annoying that Tom is bugging her so much. "Not too long ago, Tom left 18 messages in one hour to get them to join the church. But when Victoria says no, she means no."

While we are sure Victoria never aspired to be being called 'an old-fashioned British woman", the Beckhams have made it clear that they are not interested in joining the sci-fi 'church'. Victoria and Katie's close friendship is also on the rocks with these allegations, although Katie appears to rely heavily on Victoria, with the two spending hours on the phone to each other.

There have been recent sparks flying (not the good kind) in the Cruise household, as Tom attempts to get Katie to curb her spending because he fears it 'might be sending out the wrong message', a source said.

"He certainly doesn't have to worry about money and Katie is not on a budget - it seems he just doesn't want people thinking she is frivolous about shopping and money." Earlier this month, it was revealed Tom has insisted on accompanying Katie to the set of her new movie "Mad Money' in Louisiana.

Well, if Katie and Victoria can't go shopping together, we suppose they could take the Paris/Nicole route and counsel overweight teens.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

What a bunch of losers. The sheer audacity of suddenly recognizing yourself as "Christ" is simply appalling. The only reason he's been able to rise to this new level is because of his money.

Btw, I've heard that Travolta wants out of Scientology but they've got too much on him so he's basically stuck which strikes me as pathetically sad.

Edited By flipp525 on 1169733262

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Well, at least a beheading would stop Travolta's face from creeping north towards his scalp.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I guess that makes John Travolta the new John the Baptist and Kirstie Alley the new Mary Magdalene, eh?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Cruise 'is Christ' of Scientology

By EMILY SMITH
US Editor
January 23, 2007

TOM Cruise is the new “Christ” of Scientology, according to leaders of the cult-like religion.

The Mission: Impossible star has been told he has been “chosen” to spread the word of his faith throughout the world.

And leader David Miscavige believes that in future, Cruise, 44, will be worshipped like Jesus for his work to raise awareness of the religion.

A source close to the actor, who has risen to one of the church’s top levels, said: “Tom has been told he is Scientology’s Christ-like figure.

“Like Christ, he’s been criticised for his views. But future generations will realise he was right.”

Cruise joined the Church of Scientology in the ’80s. Leader L Ron Hubbard claimed humans bear traces of an ancient alien civilisation.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

I hope this is true and that it gets made becuase Tom Cruise & co will loose lots of money and it's likely to be hilarous...

Is she Tom's new alien bride?

Sydney Morning Herald, December 19, 2006 - 4:33PM

Victoria Beckham is reportedly set to star in Tom Cruise's new Scientology film.

The Spice Girl has apparently been lined up to play an alien bride in The Thetan - based on the bizarre sci-fi cult, which believes in alien life forms.

Victoria is said to be "thrilled" about getting her big Hollywood break.

A source told Britain's Daily Star newspaper: "Victoria is really hoping to make a go of it in Hollywood. This could be the perfect start for her, with good pal Tom Cruise in charge."

The 32-year-old - who made her first attempt at acting in the 1997 Spice Girls movie Spice World - will play the bride of an alien leader called a thetan, which Scientologists claim is an immortal spiritual being, present in all humans.

Cruise - who is bankrolling the project himself after it was rejected by all the major film studios - is said to have picked Victoria for the role after being impressed by her "comic genius".

Victoria - who is married to soccer superstar David Beckham - is currently looking to buy a property in Los Angeles after recently landing a presenting role on a new US fashion programme.

Return to “The People”