New Developments III

Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Re: New Developments III

Post by Sonic Youth »

He might get subpoened but he won't show. As for the tape, no one cares anymore. The correct time to leak those tapes was Jan. 2021. I don't know when those NY Times reporters acquired the audio, but clearly they've been sitting on them for a while if there's a book tie-in involved. And if they had the audio in Jan. 2021 and waited until now to "spring" it on us, they can go fuck themselves.

And Marjorie Greene's not going anywhere.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

At this point, I'm pretty used to people saying "Trust me, these investigations _______ and when they do, Trump is finished." And then we wait... and wait...

But Kevin McCarthy is on tape saying that Trump should resign following the Capitol riots following another recorded conversation in which McCarthy was told by Trump that he bore some responsibility for the riots.

Democrats are likely only going to have the House under their control for another few months.

Is there really any way that this doesn't result in Trump getting subpoenaed? Seriously, I need to know so I can adjust my expectations.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/republ ... 022-04-22/

Related, I'm interested in what ends up happening to Marjorie Taylor Greene and whether she can represent Georgia. She's just horrible. If she can't represent Georgia, can she serve as President? Because I've been terrified of an MTG run for a short while now. She is exactly where the base is. I think she could do much better in a GOP primary than anyone is considering.
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I see now. Hmmm. Influence peddling. Just more proof that Dems hold their wayward folk accountable while Republicans keep theirs.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Some states elect the governor and lieutenant governor separately, but in New York they are voted together on the same ticket.

However, New York's current lieutenant governor, Brian Benjamin, was appointed to the position by the New York State Legislature when former lieutenant governor Kathy Hochul became governor after the resignation of former governor Andrew Cuomo.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

And the Deputy Governor was arrested today.

(TBF, I assumed it was an elected position, like it is in my state, but I think I may be wrong.)

As for Adams... going maskless to a superspreader event, followed by a second event - again maskless - honoring disabled people.

I mean, he's the MAYOR!
Last edited by Sonic Youth on Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

OscarGuy wrote
What's wrong now?
That's a good question because with Eric Adams, it's something new everyday.

I really enjoyed this Onion article during the Mayoral election: https://www.theonion.com/de-blasio-well ... 1847151201
"How's the despair?"
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

What's wrong now?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

Dear New Yorkers... exactly why are you having such trouble electing decent leaders?
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

53% of people in France voted in extremist parties. 30% far right and 23% far left.

Macron doesn’t belong to a traditional party. He started his own movement.

The traditional parties in Europe will fade into obscurity in the middle to long term.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Also, Melenchon did much better than expected and almost made the runoff.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

CNN's article feels like it was written by a computer program. Le Pen will be second, but barely. This was a disasterous underperformance. The article doesn't emphasize what I'd think is pretty important.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

https://www.cnn.com/2022/04/10/europe/f ... index.html

Well, Macron is ahead of Le Pen in the first round of voting. They'll both advance to a run-off. Let's fucking pray Macron wins. Le Pen is a nightmare.
"How's the despair?"
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

The Banking System Is Functionally Part Of The Federal Government.

As per someone who owned a bank:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQvNVBbAXwQ

This is from times 37:55 to 39:10.

Any way else and you would de facto legalize counterfeiting. That is because banks do not lend out depositors' savings. Banks create money when they make loans, and, money is destroyed when loans are paid back.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Supposedly the attack just affected the power supply. There have been no nuclear leaks detected.
mlrg
Associate

Post by mlrg »

Sonic Youth wrote:
mlrg wrote:The largest nuclear plant in Europe, based in Ukrayne, has just been hit. If it blows up the consequences are 10x worse than Chernobyl.

Does anyone believe that this Will end well?
Right now I'm seeing a lot of confusion. I hope what you're reading is wrong or at least minimal. I mean, let's remember Chernobyl was a shitty reactor.

A few friends of mine have given up the internet for Lent. I'm thinking that may not be a bad idea.
https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-inva ... s-12556976

Return to “Current Events”