Nomination Talk

For the films of 2014
Greg
Tenured

Re: Nomination Talk

Post by Greg »

ITALIANO wrote:. . . till recently, for example, all the most famous cooks in the world were men. . .
You're forgetting Julia Child.
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

nightwingnova wrote:I didn't say this in my post, but many of you have been saying this in one way or another: when it comes to "diversity" of nominees, one of the core parts of the equation is the competitive options each year.
Amen.
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Big Magilla wrote:Probably the most honest reaction to not getting nominated was Force Majeure director Ruben Ostlund's when his film's failed to score a Best Foreign Film nod.

"God damit. Fucking shit!"
Almost definitely a reference to/parody of a certain scene in the movie. Or else the movie is VERY autobiographical.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

OscarGuy wrote:I'm not talking about this year or any year in particular. I'm talking about a general lack of support for women in the film industry and, in tandem, an under representation of women at the Oscars and other major movie awards. It isn't that women don't have the capability of being great in any role they want, but because certain groups are "boys clubs," finding a way in is difficult at best.
Yes, but again - words, just words, repeated over and over like a mantra, and a mantra which I am personally a bit tired of (I usually try to go beyond cliches). The problem of women in society is, of course, a real one, and it includes any aspect of society (till recently, for example, all the most famous cooks in the world were men, and it's not like women traditionally never see a kitchen in their whole life) - but we must try to truly solve it, rather than conveniently detect it in, say, a movie (and forgetting about countless other pro-women movies) or in the Oscar nominations of a particular year. Because let's face it - the Academy can't invent a Best Score woman nominee if she, simply, doesn't exist, or if she's not a very good one (and, contrary to what some here seems to think, some women are simply terrible at their job. Just like men). Really, it's a much more complex issue, and looking at it in this way, it's like staying on the surface of things, rather than going to the roots of the problem.

I don't have anything against women or black people. But can I be honest? I find a certain "politically correct" attutude, especially by men towards women and by white people towards black people, a bit condescending, a bit patronizing - as I said before, just words, all form and no substance, which can make some people happy, maybe, but which I haven't much patience for. And I will say more - aren't those who are TOO ready to see antifeminism and racism in everywhere, secretly, unconsciosly even, scared to death by women or by the blacks? Isn't their resaction a self-protective way of avoiding deep issues inside themselves and attributing it to someone else? I'm not talking about this board, of course, but often, when I go to other places amd read some comments, that's what I get.
nightwingnova
Assistant

Post by nightwingnova »

I didn't say this in my post, but many of you have been saying this in one way or another: when it comes to "diversity" of nominees, one of the core parts of the equation is the competitive options each year.
Eenusch
Graduate

Post by Eenusch »

Oprah Winfrey has two more Oscar nominations than Buster Keaton, Myrna Loy or Edward G. Robinson.

Who in the media can I call to vomit about this injustice?
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Probably the most honest reaction to not getting nominated was Force Majeure director Ruben Ostlund's when his film's failed to score a Best Foreign Film nod.

"God damit. Fucking shit!"

http://www.buzzfeed.com/adambvary/this- ... .mrlmL3oaa
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

A very angry-don't-wanna-look-angry and egotistical Spike Lee (who belittles Driving Miss Daisy without any hesitation) joined (obviously) the hot topic of the DuVernay snub.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... ck-em.html
"If you place an object in a museum, does that make this object a piece of art?" - The Square (2017)
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

We had few early on. Scarlett, an NYC schoolteacher if I recall, was the most prolific from 1998 to the early 2000s. Then there was Chloe Sevigny's cousin in 1999 who disappeared after Sevigny lost the Oscar to Angelina Jolie. There were several others over the years but none who stayed very long.
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Big Magilla wrote:That might be a description of this board as well.
We did have Steph for a while... :D
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

That might be a description of this board as well.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'm not talking about this year or any year in particular. I'm talking about a general lack of support for women in the film industry and, in tandem, an under representation of women at the Oscars and other major movie awards. It isn't that women don't have the capability of being great in any role they want, but because certain groups are "boys clubs," finding a way in is difficult at best.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

HarryGoldfarb wrote:
ITALIANO wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:That's why I was saying Score was notably masculine. Them and the directors branch are the worst, though visual effects and sound aren't much better. )

Yes but Oscar Guy... Before this board becomes Sasha Stone 2 - which woman would you have nominated in the Best Score category? Or Best Visual Effects? Or Best Sound? Because can I be honest? I don't think the Academy is mysoginist. Not at all.
Plus, ksrymy said it already: "Are people still so stupid that they don't realize token nominees are as racist as, if not more than, not nominating said nominees at all?". The same can be said for a nod based on genre. And yes, the Oscar is not only about merit (heck, a lot of times it doesn't have anything to do with merit) but it can't do anything in fields that are "normally" (in the strict sense of the word, or at least, in the Gaussian sense) populated by men.

Exactly. And - like it or not - by white men, mostly. Sasha Stone last year was congratulating the Academy for being so sensitive to the cause of black people by giving Best Picture to 12 Years A Slave. This year, those same people are racist... I mean, come on...
HarryGoldfarb
Adjunct

Post by HarryGoldfarb »

ITALIANO wrote:
OscarGuy wrote:That's why I was saying Score was notably masculine. Them and the directors branch are the worst, though visual effects and sound aren't much better. )

Yes but Oscar Guy... Before this board becomes Sasha Stone 2 - which woman would you have nominated in the Best Score category? Or Best Visual Effects? Or Best Sound? Because can I be honest? I don't think the Academy is mysoginist. Not at all.
Plus, ksrymy said it already: "Are people still so stupid that they don't realize token nominees are as racist as, if not more than, not nominating said nominees at all?". The same can be said for a nod based on genre. And yes, the Oscar is not only about merit (heck, a lot of times it doesn't have anything to do with merit) but it can't do anything in fields that are "normally" (in the strict sense of the word, or at least, in the Gaussian sense) populated by men.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Return to “87th Nominations and Winners”