New York Film Critics Circle Winners

1998 through 2007
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Amy Adams, maybe, Magilla?

This has been a dreadfully boring critics season. Nothing too obscure or unexpected. I want some surprises...hopefully the Globes on Thursday will give us something interesting.

BTW: other NY prizes:

Lifetime Achievement: Sidney Lumet
Special Critics' Award: Charles Burnett - Killer of Sheep
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This is the award Frank Langella had to win to be a true player at the Oscars. It's beginning to look like the early talk of Daniel Day-Lewis being unbeatable is sinking in.

I'm not surprised that Amy Ryan won here or in Boston. She is basically a New York stage actress and she is playing a Boston lowlife. Her win in L.A. as well as the NBR are what are astonishing to me. She seems to be building a very strong consensus. Now who was that other Amy they keep bringing up on all those silly blogs?
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Best Picture: No Country for Old Men
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

What's even stranger is that the love for Country and, to a much lesser extent, Blood feel like true consensus choices, not compromises as per usual. Maybe it's the fact that I haven't seen most of the movies shaping up to be major players (i.e. both of them), but it really does feel like there really aren't too many other viable candidates out there, at least as far as the critics' awards are concerned.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

So, scratch everything I said about actor/supporting.

This is an unusually predictable list for NY (assuming No Country wins film, which is hard to bet against, at this point). In recent years, they've thrown up at least one wild-hair choice; here, it's generally the ones you'd have thought, with the possible exception of Ryan yet again.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

It has been corrected.

Supporting Actor: Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men
Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Director: Joel and Ethan Coen - No Country for Old Men.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1197307622
Wesley Lovell
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

Oh, and may I say...it's not Cate Blanchett's fault a bunch of bloggers started talking her up as unbeatable. It was foolish talk -- the film is far too alienating to many Oscar voters to yield a win, let alone a sure thing, and Amy Ryan gives a far more accessible performance -- but it's fine work from an excellent actress. I don't know what she did to suddenly engender so much abuse around here.
Mister Tee
Tenured Laureate

Post by Mister Tee »

It may be a combination of not loving the actor candidates, and feeling there's a glut of strong supporting candidates -- now they're free to honor Affleck or von Sydow in support (though you'd wonder why they didn't choose Affleck to bump up, seeing he's the one most considered lead). As far as the Oscar effect, I doubt the No Country team will change their supporting campaign for Bardem based on this, any more than the Passage to India folk did for Peggy ashcroft.

Meantime, Christie's back on track.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

This could be a misprint on their website. Supporting actor hasn't been announced yet. On the other hand, if it's correct, it could signal a real dissatisfaction with lead actors in general this year.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Actor: Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men
Actress: Julie Christie - Away from Her
Wesley Lovell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Let the category confusion continue...

Best Actor
Javier Bardem
No Country for Old Men
Best Actress
Julie Christie
Away from Her
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

FilmFan720 wrote:I think Amy Ryan is a frontrunner now, wouldn't you say?
Take that, Cate Blanchett!
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let none forget Virginia Madsen.
Wesley Lovell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

The winners so far:

Best Foreign Film
The Lives of Others
Best Animated Film
Persepolis
Best First Film
Sarah Polley
Away from Her
Best Documentary
No End in Sight
Best Cinematographer
Robert Elswit
There Will Be Blood
Best Screenplay
Joel and Ethan Coen
No Country for Old Men
Best Supporting Actress
Amy Ryan
Gone Baby Gone

I think Amy Ryan is a frontrunner now, wouldn't you say?
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.

Return to “The 8th Decade”