79th Academy Awards Winners

1998 through 2007
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Reza wrote:
cam wrote:If people were "owed" Thelma Ritter would have got at least one award,and Randy Newman would have got more than one Oscar.

That was in the Hollywood of yore. The Academy knows better and will award O'Toole. Whitaker will get his chance in the future.
What a point here! I can´t accept the fact that you must award to a person only by the circumstance that perhaps this one is his last chance. Perhaps this is not the last one. Who knows?. The thing is that Whitaker deserves the award NOW, independently of the sentimentalism that predominates between some voters.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope wrote:
Hustler wrote:As for the BP Winners, this board´s predictions so far are: 1) The Departed 2) The Queen 3) Letters

That poll isn't predictions, it's supposed to reflect our own choices, what we would vote for.

Still, I'm hopeful that the Academy will reflect our tastes to a degree: Babel has zero votes.
yep. you´re right. It was a type mistake.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

Big Magilla wrote:Whitaker is the likely winner, but what is the point of making predicitons if all we are going to do is echo what everyone else is saying? The category is ripe for upset. That said, Whitaker is my personal choice for best actor but only because I've already given O'Toole two of my awards.
My sentiments exactly. In fact I think Whitaker gives a better performance - more in line with what the Academy admires and rewards. He is my personal choice for the win. However, I would be thrilled at O'Toole being an upset winner. He should have won long ago and this is probably his last chance. I,too, have awarded him my award previously (for Lion) so this year I can bypass him on my list.
Reza
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Reza »

cam wrote:If people were "owed" Thelma Ritter would have got at least one award,and Randy Newman would have got more than one Oscar.
That was in the Hollywood of yore. The Academy knows better and will award O'Toole. Whitaker will get his chance in the future.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Could we please have a contest? I am itching to win.
Cam
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Hustler wrote:As for the BP Winners, this board´s predictions so far are: 1) The Departed 2) The Queen 3) Letters
That poll isn't predictions, it's supposed to reflect our own choices, what we would vote for.

Still, I'm hopeful that the Academy will reflect our tastes to a degree: Babel has zero votes.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

As for the BP Winners, this board´s predictions so far are: 1) The Departed 2) The Queen 3) Letters
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Hustler wrote:LMS for BP? In terms of being risky I would prefer Letter for the main award.
Yeah, but it seems that no one is even interested in seeing it, much less voting for it.

My preference would be for The Departed or The Queen, but methinks the Academy, liek the guilds, is feeling silly this year.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Cam, we are agreed on Scorsese.

Whitaker is the likely winner, but what is the point of making predicitons if all we are going to do is echo what everyone else is saying? The category is ripe for upset. That said, Whitaker is my personal choice for best actor but only because I've already given O'Toole two of my awards. The Academy, which has given late career Oscars to Henry Fonda (deserved), Paul Newman (for a good but not great performance), Geraldine Page (a mere shadow of her once great self), Don Ameche (for break dancing, which was actually done by a stand-in), Jack Palance (probably because Anthony Hopkins was nominated in the wrong category), James Coburn (for turnign serious) and Michael Caine (for shamelessly overacting) to name a few.

Had Thelma Ritter been a lead actress she would probably have won at some point, but we know that the supporting actress award is almost always given to an ingenue. Where were the Oscars for Edna May Oliver, Billie Burke, Beulah Bondi, Dame May Whitty, Gladys Cooper, Edith Evans, Agnes Moorehead, Elsa Lanchester, Angela Lansbury and on and on?

Ritter wasn't even given billing in her first two films, despite memorable performances in both Miracle on 34th Street and A Letter to Three Wives. Finally recognized, not only with billing but an Oscar nod for All About Eve, the nomination was probably considered recognition enough. She was only 45 at the time. She was 57 when she received her sixth and final nomination for Birdman of Alcatraz twelve years later. They probably thought she had years of fine performances and future nominations in which to honor her for a more substantive role.

As for Randy Newman, I don't think they took him seriously for a long time.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

By the way, Cam, nice avatar and congratulations you finally did it.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Mmm... Magilla Your update sounds risky enough. Does Peter O´Toole has any chances? LMS for BP? As for Arkin, I agree.
In terms of being risky I would prefer Letter for the main award.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

Peter, far be it from me to question your choice for actor, but I believe we discussed that "no one" was "owed". Scorsese will get Director, not because he " is owed," but because he directed a very good, if gory, film. (I cannot imagine it winning picture because of the R rating re language violence, etc.) Peter O'Toole is not in the same room with Whitaker. He was anything but inarticulate in last week's SNL. O'Toole's movie is a dog.
If people were "owed" Thelma Ritter would have got at least one award,and Randy Newman would have got more than one Oscar.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Damien wrote:Wow, Magilla, under your scenario, Blabbel gets completely shut out . . .
Let us all pray.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

LMAO, Greg.

Wow, Magilla, under your scenario, Blabbel gets completely shut out . . .
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

Big Magilla wrote:Those with logn memories will be happy to see the two best actors of 1968 (Arkin and O'Toole) finally nodded while Cliff Robertson nods off somewhere in the Valley.
Haven't you heard? Robertson is still pitching Charly II.

Return to “The 8th Decade”