Tom Cruise is a real jerk

Whether they are behind the camera or in front of it, this is the place to discuss all filmmakers regardless of their role in the filmmaking process.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Interesting that Virginia Woolf gets mentioned next to Nicole Kidman's profile; was that deliberate?
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Steph, you may be confusing A Room of One's Own and Three Guineas. In the former, Woolf accuses men of prioritizing war (in general) and therefore prioritizing male writing over the only space allowed for women (the domestic). I believe the first version of these essays were published in 1929. She wasn't referring to World War II but rather, to war in general.

The latter was published on the brink of World War II and is a direct response to what seemed like its inevitability. Woolf revisited the gender themes regarding war and literature that she originally brought up in her essays and pushed them even further to show the differences in gender performance (yes, she got there before Judith Butler, let there be no doubt) and to criticize the atrocities of war in general.

And I do agree with you that World War II is a fascination of men (and male artists) and is one historical episode I could do without for a while. At this point the Arts are over-saturated with it and hey, it's not like we don't have a war right now that's worth dissecting and discussing.

Edited By Akash on 1199888600
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Steph, are you sure Woolf wasn't referring to World War I?

As for Hollywood and World War II, I think it's partly because Hollywood came of age during the war--it was the first major worldwide event, moreso than the Depression, that was captured by an art form that had pretty much perfected itself; after the war, it was a chance for veterans (military and civilian, male and female) to re-experience the war, both as filmmakers and as an audience; and now its the chance of the baby boomers to reflect on what their parents experienced.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Precious Doll
Emeritus

Post by Precious Doll »

cam wrote:Did Katie know what she was getting into? Does a marriage to Cruise actually boost one's career?
Well it did help Kidman's career which otherwise would have been far less profile to match her lack of acting ability.
"I want cement covering every blade of grass in this nation! Don't we taxpayers have a voice anymore?" Peggy Gravel (Mink Stole) in John Waters' Desperate Living (1977)
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

Penelope wrote:but I'm somewhat in agreement with Flipp: more films have been made about WWII than any other event in history
It's because the film industry is so male dominated and men are obsessed with WWII for some odd reason. Virginia Woolf accused men of as much in A Room of One's Own.

And I agree with you guys. There are other historical events to cover besides WWII and the Holocaust.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Yes. I understand your consternation, Peter. But really, Cruise has asked for it: he has not, of course, endorsed the book. Morton's book has been" banned in Britain" as there is some law about telling lies. (First I have heard about it. Does the US have something like this? I thought not.)

Did Katie know what she was getting into? Does a marriage to Cruise actually boost one's career?

Edited By cam on 1199862656
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I actually felt sorry for Katie Holmes at last night's Broadcast Film Critics Awards, looking the best I've ever seen her, bravely presenting an award while the audience gamely stifled their snickers.

I have no use for Scientology or the creep Crusie has become, but this reshashing of the stupidest rumors out there serves absolutely no purpose. TV shows like like Nip/Tuck and Boston Legal have held a spotlight up to the very real absurdities of Scientology without resorting to nonsense like this. Whatever happened to the rumor that Katie was pregnant by Chris Klein when she met Tommy? That one was at least beleivable.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

cam wrote:It is claimed in this book that baby Suri was conceived using frozen sperm of L. Ron Hubbard.
This is my favorite conspiracy theory.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Tom Cruise is a jerk, and apparently not a real dad.

Along with our coffee this morning, comes news of a new bio of Tom Cruise by Andrew Morton. It is claimed in this book that baby Suri was conceived using frozen sperm of L. Ron Hubbard. How do you like them apples?

Cruise is also apparently # 2 in the pecking order in Scientology.

Edited By cam on 1199824945
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Penelope, If you analyze the spanish film history, you´ll discover that most of its material is related to the spanish civil war. Anyway, that single fact doesn´t bother at all. On the contrary, the filmakers are focusing on new perspectives of the same fact. Most of the german films are also focused on tha wall. On the other hand films are also shared by the new generation. Going back to the Holocaust, I believe that filming that horrendous period of history is a way of elaborating the painful situations in which millions were involved. Have you heard of the third generation´s trauma?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I'm sure Fateless is an outstanding film (I've head as much), but I'm somewhat in agreement with Flipp: more films have been made about WWII than any other event in history (of course, part of this has to do with the fact that the medium reached its zenith during the event, but I digress); there are so many other historical eras and events that have yet to be covered--keep making the WWII films, but start exploring other history, too.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I seem to recall several films or TV movies that dealt with the subject. I'm not sure but I think the excellent 1978 mini-series Holocaust with Michael Moriarty, Meryl Streep, James Woods, Tom Bell, Fritz Weaver,Rosemary Harris and others may have touched on it. I know it was a plot point in the 1967 film, The Night of the Generals with Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif and Tom Courtenay.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

I am just personally tired of any movies having to do with the Holocaust, Hitler, Nazis and World War II. It's a personal preference. I need to have a break from that subject matter for awhile.
In that case, I recommend you to see Fateless (2005) directed by Lajos Koltai.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Hustler wrote:
Akash wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Frankly, I don’t think there’s anyone in Hollywood who has pathologized their own homosexuality to the extent that Tom Cruise has. It’s scary. He’s at a point where he’s simultaneously nurturing this interior, black, tar-like pit of self-loathing, while the “actor” in him still desperately tries to project himself as a sexually secure, straight man. Who is the real Tom Cruise? I don’t think even he knows anymore.

And I’m so over WW2/Holocaust/Hitler films for the time being. I’m just Holocaust-ed out. I need a break from all that. “Valkyrie” really has about zero appeal to me.

Yes, yes, yes! I couldn't agree more on both of these sentiments. Tom Cruise and Holocaust films. I'd be happy if we got at least a year off from both.

C´mon! Don´t compare the holocaust films with this moron. Holocaust films are necessary. Cruise´s not.

I'm not comparing Holocaust films with Cruise. I am just tired of any movie having to do with the Holocaust, Hitler, Nazis or World War II. It's a personal preference. I need to have a break from that subject matter for awhile.

Edited By flipp525 on 1195317408
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Akash wrote:
flipp525 wrote:Frankly, I don’t think there’s anyone in Hollywood who has pathologized their own homosexuality to the extent that Tom Cruise has. It’s scary. He’s at a point where he’s simultaneously nurturing this interior, black, tar-like pit of self-loathing, while the “actor” in him still desperately tries to project himself as a sexually secure, straight man. Who is the real Tom Cruise? I don’t think even he knows anymore.

And I’m so over WW2/Holocaust/Hitler films for the time being. I’m just Holocaust-ed out. I need a break from all that. “Valkyrie” really has about zero appeal to me.

Yes, yes, yes! I couldn't agree more on both of these sentiments. Tom Cruise and Holocaust films. I'd be happy if we got at least a year off from both.
C´mon! Don´t compare the holocaust films with this moron. Holocaust films are necessary. Cruise´s not.

Return to “The People”