[NE] Nomination Elim Game ('79- OSCARGUY)

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Also if someone wants to make a selection in 1 or 2 categories only and pass on the third category he should be allowed to do so without being penalized - shut out of subsequent turns.
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Let's do that, and restart the year. I think it is a great suggestion.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I'd say we switch it around, though. I think group 2 should be: Writing, Music, Editing and Cinematography. Group 3 would then be: Art Dir, Costume, Makeup, Sound, Sound Editing & Visual Effects.

That way the choices fall into generally-comparative groupings.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I like Penelope's suggestion.
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Since we get three "votes," how about splitting them into categories:

Category 1: Picture, Director, Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress

Category 2: Adapted Screenplay, Original Screenplay (or whatever the writing awards are that year), Cinematography, Costume Design, Film Editing, Art Direction

Category 3: Original Score, Original Song, Sound, Sound Editing, Visual Effects, Make-up.

Maybe too complicated, but I'm willing to re-do my choices.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The only other option, BJ, is that we make it one change per turn until the Top 6 are changed, then go to three-per after, but that seems quite a bit confused.

And, you can make one choice in the Top Six and pass your other two choices if you like, BJ, but we're all playing a memory game on this, you've seen just as many movies from that year as most of the rest of us, and it seems like this is more about personal choices than about universally approved choices, so you could add Braveheart to Costume Design if you really thought it had the best Costume Design of films you've seen, but it doesn't matter how many you've seen, it just matters that you put your opinions down.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm fine with redoing my choices.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

If we're going to change that rule I might have to drop out of this game... Which is fine, no hard feelings. A recent year like 1995 is a lot easier for me to tinker with than one I'm less familiar with, but even then I'd have trouble replacing a lot of the below the line categories just because I'm not as familiar with those overlooked contenders. That's the main reason why I stuck to the big six.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Now that, Magilla, would be up to the three who've already voted, after all, we are trying to be fair here.
Wesley Lovell
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Agree with the suggestion, can we do it retroactively and have Sabin, BJ and Penelope redo their chocies? :angry:
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

You're probably right, OG, that does seem fair.

But, sorry, Leaving Las Vegas is a dreadfully dull film, and Shue is only marginally better than Cage, who gives one of the most unexceptional performances to ever win the Oscar.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

You know, I noticed how immediately everyone went to the Big Six and started mucking about there, which could mean those who haven't had a turn yet will possibly lose a chance to make changes in certain categories, so in fairness to all, let me float the following idea around:

We're allowing 3 changes per turn for each person. How would everyone feel if we limit sel.ections from the big six (Picture, the four acting prizes and directing) to one of your three choices, thus allowing everyone to have a say in the big six before the frist turn is over. We wouldn't start this rule until everyone had a turn, of course, but I think this would create a balance that would allow everyone to have a say in the bigger categories, instead of just the lucky few who managed to end up randomly at the beginning of the list.

Edited By OscarGuy on 1207929815
Wesley Lovell
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

I love Dead Man Walking but thought Babe was far and away the picture of the year. I saw it with a bunch of friends on New Year's Eve 95 and rarely have I left the cinema on such a big goofy high. My turn is miles away... I hope it's not too late by then for me to rescue James Cromwell's lovely performance...
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I disagree. Sarandon and Penn should have both won. As far as I'm concerned Dead Man Walking was the only great film of 1995 and all the rest fill-ins. Someone needs to preserve Sarandon and replace Braveheart with Dead Man Walking for best picture before all the slots in those categories are filled.
rudeboy
Adjunct

Post by rudeboy »

OscarGuy wrote:Say it ain't so! Elisabeth Shue is fantastic in Leaving Las Vegas, I think she was better than Susan Sarandon that year.
Agreed. Shue was, in fact, the one bright spot in the otherwise ridiculously overpraised Leaving Las Vegas. Sarandon was great in Dead Man Walking, but the Oscars should have gone to Penn and Shue rather than to their co-stars.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”