[BB] Best by Best Game - The Continuation

Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I agree with your criteria, but what about films that only had festival showings? Should we consider them ineligible in any year?
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

I think commercial release, anywhere in the world, should be the criteria. My two cents.

According to IMDb, In America only played the Toronto Film Festival in 2002; all it's other film festivals and general release was 2003, so I think it qualifies more as a 2003 film than a 2002 film.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

I need to clarify something if we are indeed going to 2003 or any year for that matter in which a film was shown at a film festival in one year and released theatrically the next. Do we consider teh film festival date or the date of first tehatrical showing?

In America, my favorite film first released theatrically in 2003, played a number of film festivals for a year before its official opening starting with Toronto in 2002. For purposes of this game, is it a 2002 or 2003 film?
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Ross' direction is pretty flaccid but the script is not. 'Everything You Ever Wanted To Know About Sex...' is more cinematic but certainly not as funny, consistent, poignant, or relevant. I'll take Ross' leaden approach which does little to dull Woody Allen's wit over that miasma of hit-or-miss bits any day.

Why Allen instead of Wilder for 'Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Sex...' though?
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Game concluded.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Sabin wrote:'Play It Again, Sam' is lovely but 'Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex but were afraid to ask' deserves nothing save a nod for Gene Wilder.
Agree to disagree on that one. Herbert Ross directed the thing as if he was fixating on the first word in the title. At least the silliness in Everything You Ever Wanted... is cinematic.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

The question is not what movie but what do I honor from 'The Heartbreak Kid'? I stand by all my previous choices but I indulgently dig Elaine May's beautiful telling of Neil Simon's great script and the total distillation of Charles Grodin's unappreciated on-screen persona.

Grodin is nominated in the Ensemble, along with Berlin who is also nominated for Supporting Actress. I don't know how Eddie Albert got his justly-nodded turn as a father who is reacting exactly as one would imagine in a similar situation...I think Elaine May is a treasure who is elevating the script but you really can't honor anything before the caustic script itself.

Neil Simon, Best Original Screenplay. 'The Heartbreak Kid'. I wish it garnered nominations for Best Picture, Director, Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Ensemble, and Original Screenplay. 'Play It Again, Sam' is lovely but 'Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex but were afraid to ask' deserves nothing save a nod for Gene Wilder.
"How's the despair?"
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin wrote:I'm not totally familiar with the rules but can I add John Huston for 'Fat City'.
Good choice but best director is full at 11 nomiantions. You need to pick a category that has less than 11 in it.
rain Bard
Associate

Post by rain Bard »

Aguirre in score.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I'm not totally familiar with the rules but can I add John Huston for 'Fat City'.
"How's the despair?"
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

OscarGuy wrote:Your Clue: Random acts of fate have managed to cross over from the Nominations Elimination game.
Translation: Get ready for 19 nominations, Return of the King. ;)
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Ah. Now, I'm going to have the fun here and reveal the year AFTER the current year is over...keep everything in suspense...give myself a little added amusement. :)

Your Clue: Random acts of fate have managed to cross over from the Nominations Elimination game.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
Cinemanolis
Adjunct

Post by Cinemanolis »

BTW Which year is next?
Eric
Tenured

Post by Eric »

Hmm... maybe I'll join this game during the next year. Some categories will be a chore, but I like not being obligated to fill the full slate.
Big Magilla
Site Admin

Post by Big Magilla »

Sabin, rainBard and game over.

Return to “Other Film Discussions”