No votes
1/2 *
5%
No votes

Total votes: 20

FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

Blech is right. One of the greatest theatrical achievements of the 20th century, but nothing about this movie looks beyond dismal.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Looks like Edward Scissorhands meets Sleepy Hollow. Blechhh.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

I hope Burton doesn't over-exaggerate the art direction, as he tends to do, and as is suggested in the poster.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Looks good and Depp does look the part, but I'll still be leery until I see an actual trailer and maybe still after that.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

The poster.

I'm hyped.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

I just had a thought listening to Love You I Do from Dreamgirls.

Most stage-to-screen adaptations have the original composers return and write a song for it.

Will Sondheim write a new song for the film?

If so, will he win a second Oscar for it and yield the first original-song-for-screen Oscar since Evita in 1996?
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
VanHelsing
Assistant

Post by VanHelsing »

What's up with the belly? Has he put on weight?

Anyways, I just have this PREMONITION that Depp will be overlooked for Best Actor for this film next year. :p
With a Southern accent...
"Don't you dare lie to me!" and...
"You threaten my congeniality, you threaten me!"

-------

"You shouldn't be doing what you're doing. The truth is enough!"
"Are you and Perry?" ... "Please, Nelle."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

The shock of gray hair is about the only interesting thing about that costume.
Wesley Lovell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

I don't know, looks like a pretty bland costume to me.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Greg
Tenured

Post by Greg »

He looks like Edward Scissorhands without the scissorhands.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

MovieWes
Professor

Post by MovieWes »

Sonic Youth wrote:MovieWes, I'm not sure you are familiar with Sweeny Todd. There's a DVD of the Broadway show with Lansbury. Netflix has it, and I heartily recommend you see it. It's a VERY demanding score. A Hollywood cast might be able to pull off Sondheim's Company, which comprises of actorly songs demanding no extraordinary vocal technique. But Sweeney Todd is nearly an opera.

And it's a biiiiig stretch to go from those three light Burton films to heavy-duty Sweeney. Sure it's a horrifying, nasty, black-humorous piece and sort of gothic that might suit his temperment, but it feels so out of his league and I'm worried he'll turn it into a Charles Adams cartoon.

Yes, I'm familiar with Sweeney Todd. I haven't seen the play (yet -- I've got it in my Netflix and it's actually on its way in the mail as we speak), but I'm a big fan of the soundtrack. "Johanna", my favorite piece of music from the soundtrack (which is followed closely by "A Little Priest"), is my Myspace profile song.
"Young men make wars and the virtues of war are the virtues of young men: courage and hope for the future. Then old men make the peace, and the vices of peace are the vices of old men: mistrust and caution." -- Alec Guinness (Lawrence of Arabia)
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

cam wrote:What makes me almost believe that this whole Sweeney Todd thread is one enormous joke? Well, one: I cannot for the life of me believe that that fantastic talent, Stephen Sondheim , would actually sanction Sasha Baron Cohen for the role of Pirelli, and let him RAP Pirelli's vocal performance.Two: That said Sondheim would agree to Tim Burton.

Somone is playing a huge joke on us all. Probably an elaborate April Fools' .

Either that or--pinch me.
The rapping thing is a rumor. Sacha Baron Cohen can, in fact, sing (he has performed the role of Teyve in Fiddler on the Roof in school, I think). Having seen the stage production on DVD, the role of Pirelli is well-suited to Cohen as it is more of a comedic character.
99-1100896887

Post by 99-1100896887 »

What makes me almost believe that this whole Sweeney Todd thread is one enormous joke? Well, one: I cannot for the life of me believe that that fantastic talent, Stephen Sondheim , would actually sanction Sasha Baron Cohen for the role of Pirelli, and let him RAP Pirelli's vocal performance.Two: That said Sondheim would agree to Tim Burton.

Somone is playing a huge joke on us all. Probably an elaborate April Fools' .

Either that or--pinch me.
Sonic Youth
Tenured Laureate

Post by Sonic Youth »

MovieWes wrote:From what I've been able to ascertain, Sondheim is working very closely with Burton on the adaptation and every actor must have his seal of approval before signing on.

Anyway, Burton has done musicals before... Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had some musical numbers, and The Nightmare Before Christmas is my favorite musical of the 1990s, even though it was animated... and directed by Henry Selick... but Burton was still the mastermind behind it. Corpse Bride was also very interesting and showed that Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter can sing.
MovieWes, I'm not sure you are familiar with Sweeny Todd. There's a DVD of the Broadway show with Lansbury. Netflix has it, and I heartily recommend you see it. It's a VERY demanding score. A Hollywood cast might be able to pull off Sondheim's Company, which comprises of actorly songs demanding no extraordinary vocal technique. But Sweeney Todd is nearly an opera.

And it's a biiiiig stretch to go from those three light Burton films to heavy-duty Sweeney. Sure it's a horrifying, nasty, black-humorous piece and sort of gothic that might suit his temperment, but it feels so out of his league and I'm worried he'll turn it into a Charles Adams cartoon.
"What the hell?"
Win Butler

Return to “2000 - 2007”