The American Idol 2008 Thread

For discussions of subjects relating to television and music.
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Zahveed wrote:And can Archuleta even write music?
He does, actually. At least one of them is NOT a ballad. He also plays the piano and the guitar.
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

I'm with you, anonymous.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

And can Archuleta even write music? If he does It'll most likely be entirely composed of ballads. It's not the late 90's anymore, ballads don't fly now a days. Cook on the other hand was part of an award winning (albeit small awards) indie band a few years back and even outsold Mariah Carey a few weeks ago with his old solo album. I'll swallow my foot whole with moldy butter if Archuleta manages to make a decent album. But if we're counting on Idol producers to make him work, don't get your hopes up. Enjoy his music though, if you like him then you like him. Just because a lot of people don't care for the kid much anymore doesn't mean you can't wade in the "splendor" of his voice. I listen to a lot of bands the general public doesn't really care for anymore (e.g. Korn, Incubus, Smashing Pumpkins) but I roll with the punches.

And if Cook pulls a Daughtry (someone I liked the few times I caught his season) then I probably won't care for his career. But when it comes to authenticity, David Cook has the street cred.
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Let's also be fair, Anon, you liked Johnny Depp in Sweeney Todd when a great many people found him miserable to listen to.

You also have a significant Archuleta bias. I may dislike him, but even I can see him as a minor flash in the pan. Every season we have one. He's kinda like Katherine McPhee. Entirely artificial, primped and forced.

And I'm not a David Cook fan. I was actually hoping Syesha would finish in the Top 2 instead (especially after some of her later runs). I also think there were more talented people eliminated early on. Archuleta's career will be defined by how much he lets his father participate. Whether you like it or not, his father is poison to his career. Even if he turns out to be a success, it won't be very long because his father will sabotage every effort he makes by being an ass.

And don't discount DialIdol. You haven't paid much attention to their accuracy. They have done tremendously in predicting. But you know why your statement smacks of bias? You assume that Archuleta has a fanbase that rivals those of Carrie Underwood or Fantasia Barrino.

But, I think you're a bit off base. Archuleta has a very limited appeal and I would bet that a lot of people are actively working against Archuleta. All those people with small but solid fan bases (Smithson, Johns, etc) see this pageant as what it is. They've watched several seasons and know how things go. They also will band together behind the act that they most like and since both Smithson' and Johns' (and even Syesha's fanbase) will avoid the most white-boy style of the group in favor of something more distinctive. And after the Taylor Hicks fiasco and the Jordin Sparks one, I think a lot of them are tired of the karaoke or the "teeny" sensations and wanting to have something unique and different win the competition. That gives Cook the edge.

If they announce Archuleta as the winner, especially with the wide margin DialIdol is giving him, it would only confirm in many of our minds that the competition is rigged.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

cam wrote:Hmm. No Flipp yet. Biting his tie, no doubt.

The fact that I'm even engaging this baiting type of statement (which is, quite frankly, beneath you, cam) is a waste of time, but for your info I was out on a date last night and haven't even watched the show yet. I'm sure Cook was the better performer as per usual though.

Edited By flipp525 on 1211374203
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

jsmalahy wrote:Dial Idol, which has correctly predicted the winner of American Idol every single season, is calling it for....DAVID COOK! No joke! Man, I hope they're right!

Somehow, I'm starting to doubt DialIdol. I really, really doubt Cook would win with that significant margin after the fantastic night Archuleta had. I mean, I know some of you here will disagree with me strongly but I thought "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" is not only one his best performances but I consider it as THE performance of the season, topping "Imagine" and anything Cook has ever done. I mean, when I saw that, I got freaking misty-eyed, misty-eyed. Idol performances never do that to me. I really, really felt Archuleta gave it his all with that song.

Edited By anonymous on 1211365773
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

Zahveed wrote:The people voting for Archuleta are the same people that come back every year, vote, jump up and down win their chose one wins, and then forget about him when it comes time to pick up a CD. The most that will happen to him will be his return to sing a song next year.
Exactly. Taylor Hicks anyone?
jsmalahy
Graduate

Post by jsmalahy »

Dial Idol, which has correctly predicted the winner of American Idol every single season, is calling it for....DAVID COOK! No joke! Man, I hope they're right!
anonymous1980
Laureate

Post by anonymous1980 »

Zahveed wrote:To think that Cook sounds like every other generic rocker out there is a pretty ridiculous statement.
It's not.

Frankly, Zahveed, I only find David Cook exciting when he rockifies older/non-rock songs (or perform an obscure rock cover of a non-rock song). When he's performing straight up rock songs, I find his voice to be no different from wannabe rockers that I hear in bars, youtube videos, carnivals, fairs, etc. His least well-received performances have been straight-up covers of rock songs ("Innocent", "Hungry Like the Wolf", "Dare You To Move"). Chris Daughtry did straight up rock covers a hell of a lot better.

Whether or not he wins, I doubt he'll be as big or bigger than Daughtry.

Now on to Archuleta: A kid with absolutely no personality, originality, or sense of a soul anywhere in his being.

You're not a fan so you probably haven't watched his interviews or read any articles about him. I did and I can definitely say that he does indeed have a personality. He strikes me as a shy, genuinely sweet kid, a little awkward and a little geeky but otherwise normal and with tons of talent and a good sense of humor which unfortunately is seldom seen during the shows.

I do not think this kid is fake and calculated either. Sure, he may have a douchebag for a dad, but I certainly do not hold that against him. I do not also think he was forced into this. I can sense a lot of love and passion for what he does. There's a beautiful quality in his voice which gives me absolute chills and goosebumps more times than any other contestant this season: "Imagine", "Angels", "Smoky Mountain Memories", "Stand By Me", "Love Me Tender", "And So It Goes", the studio version of "Think of Me" and of course "Don't Let the Sun Go Down On Me" - all beautiful vocals.

He may not be the most polished performer which I think adds to the fact that he is indeed a genuine, honest-to-goodness kid who just loves music and is still learning who he is as an artist which makes me root for him even more.

Cook is already polished. Yes, he gives great performances and he's radio-ready. I loved "Always Be My Baby" and "Billie Jean". He is undeniably talented but none of his performances (not even his best ones) ever moved me the way Archuleta's performances have. And I can't root for him the same way as I do Archuleta.

The people voting for Archuleta are the same people that come back every year, vote, jump up and down win their chose one wins, and then forget about him when it comes time to pick up a CD. The most that will happen to him will be his return to sing a song next year.

Not me.

I've been watching Idol since Season 3. I can definitely honestly say that I'm looking forward to pick up a David Archuleta CD. This kid is only 17. He has a fantastic voice and if he's passionate enough, he'll only get better when he gets older. Whatever happens tomorrow night, I think he can be a success if he really wants it.

why did they never mention that David Archuleta borrowed Eva Cassidy's cover of "Imagine", note for note. Is it because Eva Cassidy is dead, and the people whose covers Cook borrowed are still among the living?

Katharine McPhee performed the Eva Cassidy arrangement of "Over the Rainbow" too and I don't recall it ever being mentioned anytime during the show.
Zahveed
Associate

Post by Zahveed »

To think that Cook sounds like every other generic rocker out there is a pretty ridiculous statement. He definitely doesn't have the post-punk / emo tone, nor does he have the modern "bad boy" gruff sound of Seether, Three Days Grace, Hinder, or Breaking Benjamin. Before you say he sounds like every other mediocre rocker out there, at least provide some examples so we can say "you know, you're right, he does sound like those guys."

Now on to Archuleta: A kid with absolutely no personality, originality, or sense of a soul anywhere in his being. It's not entirely his fault though. He's been molded for years to be this mechanical wax figure from Disney's hall of presidents, exhibiting even the same properties (palm out with a pivot and his ability to sound the same every song.)

No matter who wins, as it doesn't matter by this point, Cook will have the more successful music career. Hell - Michael Johns, Carly Smithson, Brooke White, and Jason Castro have a better chance of selling an album. The people voting for Archuleta are the same people that come back every year, vote, jump up and down win their chose one wins, and then forget about him when it comes time to pick up a CD. The most that will happen to him will be his return to sing a song next year.

and scene
"It's the least most of us can do, but less of us will do more."
dws1982
Emeritus

Post by dws1982 »

Assuming Archie wins, TPTB are going to have some 'splainin to do unless the Dial Idol numbers do a major, major turnaround in the last few hours.

And they always made sure they talked about whose covers that David Cook borrowed, to make sure we knew it wasn't him who had arranged them (and then they quit mentioning it when he started arranging his own songs), but why did they never mention that David Archuleta borrowed Eva Cassidy's cover of "Imagine", note for note. Is it because Eva Cassidy is dead, and the people whose covers Cook borrowed are still among the living?

They both did well tonight; neither deserved to be thrown under the bus the way David Cook was.

I'm finished with this show.

Edited By dws1982 on 1211343256
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

Hmm. No Flipp yet. Biting his tie, no doubt. The judges were right: Archuleta won in a knockout. Cook sounds like every other mediochre rocker. DA is a balladeer. Watch his selling of the song, his vibrato. Not the most original singer in the world, but he is going to win this contest, and he should.

Edited By cam on 1211342334
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

David Cook:

Clive Davis' Choice: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For - Finally a new haircut and it looks good. It was a pretty traditional performance. Nothing exceptional. Nothing spectacular.

Second Choice: This was much better. This is his niche and he should stick with what works. The first song was too simplified.

Third Choice: I agree with Simon that it was too sentimental to close the show. It wasn't the rocker we know and love. However, he really should have reminded viewers of his strengths from the season.

David Archuleta:

Clive Davis' Choice: Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me - The judges are retarded. It was a rather unimpressive performance. His final note was uneven and he couldn't even hit the glory note earlier in the song.

Second Choice: What an insipid song. He should have hit that out of the park, but didn't. It was a really weak performance. But that's probably the song's fault, not his.

Third Choice: I've already heard it once. I don't have to hear it again to know I hate his version. But, I listened anyway and it was more dreadful than I remember.

It's quite obvious who the judges want to win. So, why even have a final contest. They're giving it to Archuleta anyway. Good riddance. it will be nice to have his musical career destroyed like nearly every other idol. Hope they enjoy having a thoroughly unoriginal, moldable winner.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

OscarGuy wrote:Let's face it, though, the producers will decide who is going to win by the choice of the "prestige" song they will say the audience picked out by electronic vote (and then secretly manipulate it so the one they want to win does).
I agree, Wes. Although, I feel like whatever song they throw at the contestants this year, Cook will manage to make it sound more relevant.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
cam
Assistant

Post by cam »

flipp525 wrote:If you think that he was "singing from his throat" while hitting that last note in "The First Time…", you don't know what you're talking about.
That was a lucky hit in falsetto. He could just have easily missed it.
Listen to him singing from his throat and you will see what I mean. His voice will be gone by the time he is thirty.
You really have it in for Archuleta, don't you? It matters not a whit to me which one wins this contest. I just prefer Archuleta's choice of music and arrangements, and he is not the first nor the last to have a pushy "stage" parent. I ran into a dozen of them teaching music. You deal with it.
You are generally very nasty these days, flipp. I will put it down to the fact that you lost your cat.

Return to “Broadcast Media”