23%
The Thin Red Line
34%

Total votes: 56

Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

Also, John Ford's They Were Expendable.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

Akash wrote:
atomicage wrote:and I still look at Ryan as the best war film to-date

Good LORD! I don't even know where to start with that one...

Ditto, Akash.

Edited By flipp525 on 1196552287
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Good LORD! I don't even know where to start with that one...
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

For starteres. rent Robert Aldrich's Attack!, Anthony Mann's Men In War, Samuel Fuller's The Big Red One, Joseph H. Lewis's Retreat, Hell!
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
atomicage
Graduate

Post by atomicage »

For those who disagree, I'm sorry to hear it, but I enjoyed both Shakespeare in Love and Saving Private Ryan. One is a delightful comedy that uses tactics of the very writer that the film is based around, and I still look at Ryan as the best war film to-date (yes, over Thin Red Line).
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

Honestly, I only voted for Elizabeth because I loathe this line-up. Shakespeare in Love is trite and smug (the worst thing Tom Stoppard has ever done), I hated Life is Beautiful and I've gotta say, I've watched The Thin Red Line three times. I've done my utmost to enjoy the film. But in the end, I love the Hans Zimmer score and that's it. Stills from the film have more evocative power than the same frames do in context. I don't know if it's me or the film, but all I can do is shrug.

As for Saving Private Ryan.... it's a film I adored when I first saw it (at the age of 15) and yeah, it retains a primal power for me. That said, I don't think as highly now as I did of it then.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Who indeed? I mean it was fun and all -- providing you ignore its historical infelicities -- but I never understood how the film was able to ride Cate Blanchett to an Oscar nomination. She wasn't even a way-ahead-of-the-pack frontrunner for Best Actress (the way say Fox, Hoffman and Mirren helped Ray, Capote and The Queen to snag Picture nominations) and she wound up losing the Oscar anyway!

Though I'd still rather watch Elizabeth again than Saving Private Ryan.
Okri
Tenured

Post by Okri »

I've gotta ask who else joined me in voting for Elizabeth?
Steph2
Assistant

Post by Steph2 »

flipp525 wrote:Ben Affleck's best performance, by the by.
Ooh I forgot about this one. Yes, Baff is wonderful and charismatic (and yummy) in this film.
flipp525
Laureate

Post by flipp525 »

The Original BJ wrote:I'd add Imelda Staunton's hilarious scene-stealing to the list you cite
Thank you! I knew there was someone missing from Sabin's list. Agree that the supporting cast of the film stole the show completely. Ben Affleck's best performance, by the by.
"The mantle of spinsterhood was definitely in her shoulders. She was twenty five and looked it."

-Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

Basically, what I'm saying is that 'Shakespeare in Love' thrives on its modest directorial aims. Jon Madden ain't Ernst Lubitsch (and he's certainly one of the most anonymous of guiding lights to helm a Best Picture winner) but the movie is certainly far above its BBC/waifer thin trappings. The movie is totally delightful and its nigh invisible craftsmanship fails to detract from the glow it emits.
both are so perfectly cast that (like Leo & Kate in Titanic) you can't imagine anyone else in their roles even if you wish they dug a little deeper.

Kate Winslet turned the movie down and if that doesn't break your heart a little, I don't know what else would. I like Gwyneth Paltrow quite a bit, even if she is a performer of limited range. Joseph Fiennes is adequate. They're not fantastically cast but they're not bad by any means.

The film looks decent at best, but Lord knows the camera isn't doing much by way of storytelling, but as I'm saying aside from the winning score and the lovely screenplay, little else is. I would say that the only nominations it really deserved was Original Screenplay, Comedic/Musical Score, Makeup, Costume Design (the art direction never creates an entire world), and maybe if I'm feeling generous Best Picture. It doesn't really earn much beyond it, and while Judi Dench is very good in the film let's calm the fuck down. Does she deserve an Oscar for what she does? Then again, I'm in the minority. I think that the two best films of 1998 were a sparklingly innovative comedy and a WWII movie...but they were 'Rushmore' and 'The Thin Red Line'. Then again, although I usually favor strong directorial voices over studio workermanship, I would opt for 'Shakespeare in Love' over 'Saving Private Ryan' any day.
"How's the despair?"
The Original BJ
Emeritus

Post by The Original BJ »

Shakespeare in Love isn't exactly a cinematographic knock-out, but I've never found it dully photographed. I think its golden glow is rather lovely. It's certainly small potatoes next to Thin Red Line and Private Ryan, but I don't think its nomination is anywhere near a travesty. (Then again, I didn't think '98 had an abundance of stellar cinematography contenders either.)

The supporting cast is indeed aces (I'd add Imelda Staunton's hilarious scene-stealing to the list you cite), but I think Fiennes and Paltrow are pretty underrated. While neither approaches the individual highs I expect truly great performances to reach, both are so perfectly cast that (like Leo & Kate in Titanic) you can't imagine anyone else in their roles even if you wish they dug a little deeper. Paltrow didn't deserve to win but she's been unfairly abused, and I was bummed Joe Fiennes missed the list completely.

I think Shakespeare in Love's great strength is its modesty. It's an utterly charming little work that's content to be an utterly charming little work, and I think that's one of the reasons people found it so endearing.
Sabin
Laureate Emeritus

Post by Sabin »

I saw 'Shakespeare in Love' again recently and it's a very strange experience. The cinematography is rather dull. There are very few interesting compositions and Richard Greatrex has to be one of the dullest cinematographers nominated for the award in the 90's. The directing is largely limited to keeping all the performers levels of adequacy on the same page (and on a second viewing, the film's supporting cast far outshines the A-listers: Tom Wilkinson, Geoffrey Rush, Judi Dench, Ben Affleck, Simon Callow, et al do the heavy listing; Colin Firth seems pissed that he lost the role of Will). Joseph Fiennes gives a rather shallow performance that best works when he is contrasted in fore- or background to the world around him. I think I understand why so many people hate Gwyneth Paltrow's performance. She's adequate and far better suited to the non-speaking, swooning moments than when she actually speaks. I think she gives off a lovely aura rather than a great performance (that would be 'Shallow Hal', 'The Royal Tenenbaums', or her delightful cameo in 'The Anniversary Party') but I understand why people are pissed at her victory.

And yet despite the impersonal craftsmanship involved quite often in the film's production, the script is so utterly winning, the premise delightful, and the score fairly perfect. It's more of a party than a film, but it's one you want to be a part of. It's nowhere near 'The Thin Red Line''s level of brilliance and probably not as good as 'Saving Private Ryan' in achievement, but 'Shakespeare in Love' is the more entertaining spectacle and for me a triumph of conceit, the written word, and the composed tune. I think it stands with 'Million Dollar Baby' and 'The Departed' as the best winner of the past ten years.
"How's the despair?"
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

Back in ’98-’99 I was I was in glorious seclusion here as the greatest detractor of The Thin Red Line – an interesting failure, trapped in its own good intentions – and I always wondered if it had anything to do with the fact that (as far as I know) I’m the only one here who, unfortunately, was in actual battle.

For me, 1998 is one of the hardest years ever (along with ’63 and ’73) when it comes to choose a best picture, and not only among the nominated ones. By default I’d ignore the disastrous, characteristically childish Spielbergian bookends (and other likewise bits along the rest of the movie too) and go with Saving Private Ryan. Elizabeth - once you accept its Bollywoodish sensibility - is fun, but apart from being a showcase for its star it was rather dismissible, as was Shakespeare in Love. And no one, including Damien, hates the travesty known as Life is Beautiful more than I do.
Akash
Professor

Post by Akash »

Damien wrote:It's hard to think of another year in which one nominee was so much greater than any of the others that it was in its own sphere. And I admit I didn't get Thin Red Line on a first viewing, but this is a movie which becomes more extraordinary every time you see it.

Same here! I loved it on my first viewing but my second viewing convinced me it was a masterpiece. SO glad it won this poll. If anything else had to win though, Shakespeare in Love is a lovely choice.

Saving Private Ryan is shit. Elizabeth is ridiculous. I'm fine with Life is Beautiful but it really had no business being nominated for Best Picture.

I will never understand the love for The Truman Show. It's ok, but I preferred Niccol's more reflective, melancholy Gattaca. And Jim Carrey may be the most hideous thing to ever happen to American comedies and screen acting (yes, even in Eternal Sunshine -- a real masterpiece -- I couldn't stand him).

Edited By Akash on 1195890928

Return to “The 8th Decade”