80th Annual Academy Awards

1998 through 2007
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

ITALIANO wrote:Away from Her was the better movie. But all the hatred for Cotillard on this board, and the offensive, dismissive names she's referred to, are more emotional than "emotionally challenging" (and except for Uri's, I still haven't read here an interesting analysis of her performance and what was wrong with it - if ever there was something wrong). It's all so immature, really - like children who can't accept losing and only see things in black and white. Xenophobia, I'm afraid, plays a role too - the French here are adored for cliches, mousse au chocolat or Julie Delpy (!) - but when they dare to win over our favorite, here we are with words like la Jambon etc.

Emotional and intellectual balance is so obviously absent in this discussion. But let's face it, if avril94's acquaintances aren't "very intelligent", Damien and his tiresome supporters have proved once again that they aren't exactly the smartest people in America - and more importantly, they can't lose with dignity. But anyway, I guess that if someone can call Cotillard a "cheap whore" (and nobody even remotely complains or opens an invisible thread), then one day I will be allowed to call Bill Condon an "ugly faggot".

Cotillard´s performance was so intense. She turned out to be "the character" . She was taken by Piaf, like an exorcism session. The famous singer lived and sang through Marion.

Edited By Hustler on 1204481617
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Hustler wrote:
Big Magilla wrote:The friends of Oscar concept was first used at the 1968 awards. The "friends" that year were Ingrid Bergman, Sidney Poitier, Jane Fonda, Frank Sinatra, Natalie Wood, Walter Mattahu, Diahann Carroll, Tony Curtis, Rosalind Russell and Burt Lancaster, who got to pass out all teh awards.

It was used again the following year when the "friends" were Claudia Cardinale, Elliott Gould, Myrna Loy, Barbara McNair, Jon Voight, Fred Astaire, Elizabeth Taylor, Ali MacGraw, Cliff rfobertson, Katharien Ross, James Earl Jones, Candice Bergen, Raquel Welch, Clint Eastwood, John Wayne and Bob Hope.

With the 1970 awards, they went back to having different presenters for each award, and all teh presenters were billed as "hosts".

With the 1971 awards they went to four hosts, Helen Hayes, AAlan King, Sammy Davis, Jr. and Jack Lemmon along with multiple presenters.

The 1972 awards again had four hosts, Carol Burnett, Michael Caine, Chalton Heston and Rock Hudson.

The 1973 awards also had four hosts, John Huston, Diana Ross, Burt Reynolds and David Niven, though it is Niven everyone remembers because of his introduction of Katharine Hepbnurn in her only Oscar appearance and the famous streaker incident.

The four host concept continued until the 1977 awards when Bob Hope returned as sole host.

I remember a year when Ellen Burstyn was a co host along with other 3.
Well, I didn´t find that fact, but I can add that in 1986 (58th annual) the hosts were Jane Fonda, Alan Alda and Robin Williams, in 1987 (59th annual) the hosts were Paul Hogan , Chevy Chase and Goldie Hawn. The following year, the ceremony was hosted by Chevy Chase.
Source: Inside Oscar.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

taki15 wrote:Last year it was Abigail Breslin who was abused constantly.
That was even more annoying.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

Most of us have gotten used to it. I don't particularly like it and I've made an issue of it before, but it won't do any good.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin
taki15
Assistant

Post by taki15 »

Unfortunately Damien has made a habit of offending every performer who isn't to his taste.

Last year it was Abigail Breslin who was abused constantly.
This year his victim is Marion Cotillard.

Saying that you didn't like a performance and that it was not worthy of recognition is one thing.
But spewing venom and tossing around insults is particularly distasteful.
ITALIANO
Emeritus

Post by ITALIANO »

Away from Her was the better movie. But all the hatred for Cotillard on this board, and the offensive, dismissive names she's referred to, are more emotional than "emotionally challenging" (and except for Uri's, I still haven't read here an interesting analysis of her performance and what was wrong with it - if ever there was something wrong). It's all so immature, really - like children who can't accept losing and only see things in black and white. Xenophobia, I'm afraid, plays a role too - the French here are adored for cliches, mousse au chocolat or Julie Delpy (!) - but when they dare to win over our favorite, here we are with words like la Jambon etc.

Emotional and intellectual balance is so obviously absent in this discussion. But let's face it, if avril94's acquaintances aren't "very intelligent", Damien and his tiresome supporters have proved once again that they aren't exactly the smartest people in America - and more importantly, they can't lose with dignity. But anyway, I guess that if someone can call Cotillard a "cheap whore" (and nobody even remotely complains or opens an invisible thread), then one day I will be allowed to call Bill Condon an "ugly faggot".

Edited By ITALIANO on 1204473862
Penelope
Site Admin

Post by Penelope »

Away From Her and La Vie en Rose are polar opposites as films, and in terms of characters.

Away From Her is a subtle, leisurely paced, gradually powerful piece that is generous with crafting fully developed characters, even the supporting players.

La Vie en Rose is robust, no-holds-barred portrait of a woman who loved life to the fullest, in grande diva form.

Now, I happen to have enjoyed both films, and both performances, but I can see why many people would prefer/enjoy La Vie en Rose more than Away From Her.

That reaction was reflected here in Chicago: Away From Her played for about 4 weeks, while La Vie en Rose ran for 4 months.
"...it is the weak who are cruel, and...gentleness is only to be expected from the strong." - Leo Reston

"Cruelty might be very human, and it might be cultural, but it's not acceptable." - Jodie Foster
Uri
Adjunct

Post by Uri »

avril94 wrote:Its a universally acclaimed performance the audience was clapping at the end of the movie when I saw it, With away from her half the theather left after 20 minutes I don't know anybody who got through that movie.
Dear, some go to the movies to be provoked, enthralled and intellectually entertained while being emotionally challenged. Others just love the reassurances of being exactly like everybody else. To each his own.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

avril94 wrote:With away from her half the theather left after 20 minutes I don't know anybody who got through that movie.

You need to get a new group of acquaintances. Clearly, no one you know is very intelligent. :p

How old are you, by the way, 8?

Edited By Damien on 1204449109
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
FilmFan720
Emeritus

Post by FilmFan720 »

avril94 wrote:Its a universally acclaimed performance the audience was clapping at the end of the movie when I saw it
They had probably just woken up and were startled and confused.
"Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good."
- Minor Myers, Jr.
Hustler
Tenured

Post by Hustler »

Big Magilla wrote:The friends of Oscar concept was first used at the 1968 awards. The "friends" that year were Ingrid Bergman, Sidney Poitier, Jane Fonda, Frank Sinatra, Natalie Wood, Walter Mattahu, Diahann Carroll, Tony Curtis, Rosalind Russell and Burt Lancaster, who got to pass out all teh awards.

It was used again the following year when the "friends" were Claudia Cardinale, Elliott Gould, Myrna Loy, Barbara McNair, Jon Voight, Fred Astaire, Elizabeth Taylor, Ali MacGraw, Cliff rfobertson, Katharien Ross, James Earl Jones, Candice Bergen, Raquel Welch, Clint Eastwood, John Wayne and Bob Hope.

With the 1970 awards, they went back to having different presenters for each award, and all teh presenters were billed as "hosts".

With the 1971 awards they went to four hosts, Helen Hayes, AAlan King, Sammy Davis, Jr. and Jack Lemmon along with multiple presenters.

The 1972 awards again had four hosts, Carol Burnett, Michael Caine, Chalton Heston and Rock Hudson.

The 1973 awards also had four hosts, John Huston, Diana Ross, Burt Reynolds and David Niven, though it is Niven everyone remembers because of his introduction of Katharine Hepbnurn in her only Oscar appearance and the famous streaker incident.

The four host concept continued until the 1977 awards when Bob Hope returned as sole host.
I remember a year when Ellen Burstyn was a co host along with other 3.
avril94
Graduate

Post by avril94 »

Its a universally acclaimed performance the audience was clapping at the end of the movie when I saw it, With away from her half the theather left after 20 minutes I don't know anybody who got through that movie.
Damien
Laureate

Post by Damien »

avril94 wrote:she played a woman from age 19 to 47 who looked Like 80 near the end of her life,
A well-deserved Best Make Up award for the film.
"Y'know, that's one of the things I like about Mitt Romney. He's been consistent since he changed his mind." -- Christine O'Donnell
avril94
Graduate

Post by avril94 »

All the acting wins were deserved with the exception of Swinton winning the unnominated Catherine Keener in into the wild should have been nominated and won. And I of course disagree about Christie/Cotillard. Cotillard was magical in that role she played a woman from age 19 to 47 who looked Like 80 near the end of her life, Oh and Big Magilla the director of the movie said he wanted Piaf's voice Cotillard is said to be a pretty good singer.
OscarGuy
Site Admin

Post by OscarGuy »

And Death gives people an option to live or die? That's my problem with the characterization of Chigurh as Death. Death kills indiscriminately. There is no chess game with death and if you think there is, then the entire coin toss thing is a blatant rip off of Bergman. He was a character with no definition. There was no substance. There was no ethos or pathos. There was just an existence. I reject Chigurh as an embodiment of Death. I would rather have Tommy Lee Jones, an actor whom I don't really like much, as the Oscar winner from the film not Bardem. And for that matter, I think Brolin was head and shoulders above the rest.
Wesley Lovell
"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

Return to “The 8th Decade”